Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Security Center (VSC) at World Trade Center

Considering the time needed for security checks: There will be cars & busses backed up on Liberty all the way around and south on West down to the BB Tunnel. Add delivery trucks to the mix and folks will soon learn that public transport via the Trans Hub is the only way.

Hope that drivers know not to be blowing horns down this way when sitting in the long wait to park.

I really think it'll make the most sense in the long run to have the tourist buses park in New Jersey and have people take the PATH line to the WTC. Otherwise, as you said, it'll be a mess. And the tourists will get a fun subway experience out of it as well. I've never understood the people who go to NYC and just take tourist buses everywhere. The fun is in walking/riding the subway/taking taxis.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

They're scared sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    It's roughly a view from Tower 4 looking southwest.

Vehicles exiting the VSC from levels below are forced to go eastbound onto two-way Liberty. But there is also an alternate exit from the VSC onto one-way Cedar St. which takes vehicles west directly to northbound West Street. I believe this exit is for vehicles that don't pass inspection, for whatever reason, they exit the VSC immediately onto Cedar instead of proceeding down the spiral.

You can't see that in the rendering, or maybe it's barely indicated at the very top - hard to tell.
    Yep. Those parts, at least, have been solid for years. It's just the structural design that's been in flux. It's always followed this program, as shown in this 2005-ish master plan by Libeskind.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7...erplan0905.jpg

Liberty State Park has ample land to accommodate buses, cars etc. for visitors visiting not just the World Trade Center Memorial, but also Ellis Island and Liberty Island. The former CNJ Terminal can be used to process visitors, ticket sales, tour groups etc.. From there they could take a ferry from one of the ferry slips to one of the three locations (Ellis Island, Liberty Island, World Trade Center).

I am starting my new job as a member of the construction team for the new VSC next week and so should have some good info and pictures as we progress.

^
    Yonkers has the job now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Schiano View Post
    ^
    Yonkers has the job now?
    Affirmative

Quote Originally Posted by irishinnyc View Post

i am starting my new job as a member of the construction team for the new vsc next week and so should have some good info and pictures as we progress.
    Yes!!!

And congrats on the job.

From the new WTC site overview you can clearly see how large and deep the VSC will eventually be.

Not much deeper then you already see, the bottom of the slurry wall is only about 10 to 15 ft deeper then the bottom now.

There is approximately 30ft more of rock to come out in the coming months: an estimated 30,000 yds of material to be drilled and blasted. Groundwater management is going to be a major undertaking.

A view from inside the "bathtub" at Phase 1 of the VSC. As much as 40 ft of rock has to come out in places to the right of the crane. The drill in the foreground is prepping blasting holes.
    Last edited by IrishInNYC; February 23rd, 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Thumbs up

IrishInNYC: YES! Excellent for Photo #1 -- a perspective new to WNY

from today

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast