Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 693-695 5th Avenue Takashimaya Building

I like this building a lot, too, and share the outrage. Hands off and respect for (most) Philip Johnson stuff. He only passed on 5 years ago and the building is less than 20 years old .

From the City Review article:

Johnson and Burgee have long focused great attention on window treatment and here their experiments attain a rhythmic climax of extraordinarily rich texture and elegance whose thin columns and expansive glass are vaguely reminiscent of Ernest Flagg's great "Little Singer" building at 561 Broadway in SoHo.
    I don't know about the comparison with the Little Singer Building but IMO, it looks rather academic in function with that style of windows and is, indeed, very elegant.

Would the LPC even consider landmarking something built so recently?

Must be tough being an architect in this city. Noone respects your work.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaMegro View Post

I'm very surprised that this prime stretch of 5th avenue is not under landmark's jurisdiction. If anything I would expect this building to be designated an individual landmark.
    It went up in 1993, so it's not old enough for individual designation. A structure has to be at least 30 years old to be considered.

An article on this topic:

Landmarking Modernist Buildings?

By: Julia Vitullo-Martin
    March 2005

This (Sitt) is disgusting.

Any thoughts on how to get Amanda Burden to better channel her considerable power and energies so that, rather than lopping off the best spires we've seen since the 30s, she prevents something like this -- or the re-clad of some of the handsomest brick buildings in Midtown (e.g., 1775 Broadway), or the gap-toothed hideousness of most McSam creations, or most of what the likes of Moinian, Macklowe, SL Green or others want to do in some of the most prominent parts of Manhattan?

I don't like an interventionist style police working on behalf of the city, but if Amanda Burden is going to be around, she could at least do something positive. Any building built in Boston essentially has its design hand-approved by the Mayor and his toadies in the Boston Redevelopment Authority. Amanda Burden appears to be a less-powerful version of that; can she (or the city) re-direct her interventions a bit?

You would have to submit a proposal for City Planning to re-write the Zoning regulations, or try to get a plan enacted that changes Landmark laws (the last is something Ms. Burden has nothing to do with).

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Wow, why do they always seem to target the nice buildings for reclad/demolition?

Meanwhile, they leave all the ugly ones that really do need to be recladded/demo'd alone.

This city just has bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Wow, why do they always seem to target the nice buildings for reclad/demolition?

Meanwhile, they leave all the ugly ones that really do need to be recladded/demo'd alone.

This city just has bad luck.
    I agree. Seeing a glass facade rising over 350 Madison pisses me off significantly. In the meantime, Sapir's rank pieces of crap on Church St look shi.ttier than ever.

A harmonious intricate fašade eliminated in favor of a gigantic showcase. It makes perfect sense.

Only in NY?

A structure has to be at least 30 years old to be considered.
    Maybe that delay should be halved.

This shit makes me want to vomit.

Disgusting.

And where oh where is that self-righteous bitch Amanda Burden? Why isn't this entire stretch of 5th Avenue landmarked?

This city is so ****ing backwards sometimes.

Why all this mis-guided hostility towards Amanda Burden in regards to Landmarking? She has nothing to do with that.

Direct your energies to Robert Tierney, Chairman of LPC or, more correctly, to Mayor Bloomberg, who guides all of these decisions (both Zoning & Landmarking).

If they're going to reclad this one they mite just as well knock it down and put up a 1000+ footer.

I'm just seeing this now and I think everyone in my building heard me scream "what the F*ck!!!"

What a lousy criminal bastard.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Let's be happy for the time we had this.

Sitt, the schmucky shlong, has officially joined the club infested by Moinian, Chang, Macklowe, Zuckerman, et al.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast