Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2010

Default 11:46 he added something about the World Cup. 11.48: he took a pee....

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    back to World Cup please.

11:46 edit: opa..he added something about World Cup. What a character.
    (Well at least we're getting a moment-by-moment update and commentary on my posts.)

yup. there's frequent updates for this game here. Outside my building there's a truck selling snacks with a huge flatscreen mounted to the top. People are hanging out on the street watching.
    Smart guy!

yeah, he has quite a crowd out there.

---
    @fab: don't get vulgar mama, just simmer down over there. Even mentioning your bathroom time is enough to put us off our lunch...but we do find the way you strategically edit your posts to be amusing.
    ---

Final, 0-0
    Brazil-Portugal.

for the record: uh...Midtown... I posted that update completely unaware of what you were posting. I did so in response to Alonzo's request. You really think I added it because you said "back to the World Cup? Because of you. Really?

Oh dear.

---

"just simmer down over there"

ˆ I love this...

----

And use of the the royal "we"... "I'm-speaking-for-the-forum" ...is pretty good too.

We *sigh*
    Last edited by Fabrizio; June 25th, 2010 at 01:34 PM.

Still going on about the post editing? There is a thread for that.

0-0 what a disappointing result. With those two teams it should have been a 3-3 thriller.

Spain - Chile next, hopefully with more goals.

You think the goal should be made larger to facilitate larger scoring games?

I know there are purists at heart out there, but sometimes tie games can ge a little tediuos (especially at such low totals).

I am not suggesting Basketball scores here, but maybe in the range of Hockey......

God no. Hell no. Only Americans ever ask for this. No, no, no, for the last time no. The game is perfect the way it is.

In other World Cup coverage, it seems the whole world has gone vuvuzela crazy.
    I thought this was something completely different.

What a disappointment.

Portugal v Spain in the next round. Should be a good one. Chile through to play Brazil. Some good match ups in the Last 16.

So what exactly happened to France? I am not getting it. There was a dispute with a coach, a player was suspended, and the team refused to practice (for one day). I see that this is the cause of a great deal of angst among players and fans, but why is the government involved? Meetings with Sarkozy? An official inquiry? Huh? Is the team being accused of throwing the game against South Africa?

All I see is a badly played World Cup and some in-fighting. Is this a moment of national crisis in France as well?

If Germany wins the World Cup, France has to give them Alsace again.

That's an improved strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by hbcat View Post
    So what exactly happened to France? I am not getting it.
    My theory is that the French team had fallen victim to what I now call ‘vuvuzela derangement syndrome’ : that is, being driven completely insane by the incessant, pearcing Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sound of those damn vuvuzelas.

It is just my pet theory in an attempt to explain the truly bizarre (and uncharactaristic) behavior of the French Soccer Team: but in case my claim seems entirely baseless and unjustifiable, I offer this bit of supporting evidence.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/w...cup-atmosphere

After watching a couple of matches the vuvuzela hum fades out into a background noise, just as it would if one were living next to a busy highway overpass. I don't understand the fun. It is a constant drone, not used to cheer or anything. Boring.

The level of play in this WC isn't usually high enough to make me put up with that awful sound for more than a few minutes.

There were reports of ethnic and religious divisions within the French team. A player (Gourcuff) was said to have been bullied and excluded supposedly because he is too well-mannered, good-looking and something of a gay icon. The media were shut out, so we don't really know (the players interviewed so far have denied it).

It's a small "national crisis" because football matters too much in Europe and the players' refusal to practice after Anelka was sent home for insulting the coach made the whole performance a debacle on more than a sports level. The country felt humiliated.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast