Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry King calls it quits

Default Larry King calls it quits

June 29, 2010
    Statement from Larry King

Posted: 07:10 PM ET
    Before I start the show tonight, I want to share some personal news with you.
    25 years ago, I sat across this table from New York Governor Mario Cuomo for the first broadcast of Larry King Live.
    Now, decades later, I talked to the guys here at CNN and I told them I would like to end Larry King Live, the nightly show,
    this fall and CNN has graciously accepted, giving me more time for my wife and I to get to the kids’ little league games.
    I’ll still be a part of the CNN family, hosting several Larry King specials on major national and international subjects.
    I’m incredibly proud that we recently made the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest running show
    with the same host in the same time slot. With this chapter closing I’m looking forward to the future and what my
    next chapter will bring, but for now it’s time to hang up my nightly suspenders.

Filed under: Larry King Live

Good news.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Remember when that guy went through his trash and found a Pampers box?

This guy has been on the air for a good chunk of my life, but I don't think I've ever seen any of his shows. If I have, I've forgotten them.

King has an obvious knack for getting people to open up on the air, but he's too schmaltzy. And too sensational. I lost all respect for him when he devoted almost every show to OJ and The Trial. Very icky.

He knew how to connect with his interviewees, like Terry Gross.

She's much smarter and interesting.

Why are we talking about King as if he'd died? Guy still deserves the present tense.

What is a shame is that this type of personality is no more.... the background in journalism .... the Brooklyn Jew accent...the voice that sounded of cigarettes...the face meant for radio. And today, shmaltz is refreshing after so much irony. I really liked Larry King.

Schmaltz without enough substance, for me at least.

For me, he was best in supermarket-tabloid mode doing shows about UFOs or the death of C-list celebrities. Pretty fabulous.

No matter what you think of LK, chances are that whoever replaces him will be more tedious and less able to keep the hour moving along.

Interviewing? Seems it's a lost art.

I'd say give Dick Cavett another shot.

Please, CNN: Don't even think about making us suffer through an hour of Bill Maher.

Beyond beyond:

Dick Cavett / Gloria Swanson / Janis Joplin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_Iz...tedkkC_NVwAmYQ

-----

A very cool Andy Warholian 1966 :

Merv Griffin / Jayne Mansfield (with Mariska) / Henny Youngman / Monti Rock (years ahead of everyone)

A must see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4NJqDKQXqg

Quote Originally Posted by hbcat View Post
    Schmaltz without enough substance, for me at least.
    Isn't that Light Beer?

^^^Loft...

I kind of like Bill. Although I admit I have not seen him in a while. I forget the show he had where they sat in a panel of 4 celebs and him as "moderator" and "discussed" political topics, but the first season or two of that was GREAT!

Then, like most comedians that end up getting a taste of power, he got rooster-y and irritating (See Dennis Miller).

As for LK, most of his show was boring and vacuous. He had a few good interviews, but I never trusted anythingthat came from him when quoted or referenced by others. I have to say, though, that he is certainly better than the blip-blip-blip short attension span shows like TMZ and Extra! that populate our dial these days.

Wow. Did I say "dial"?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    For me, he was best in supermarket-tabloid mode doing shows about UFOs or the death of C-list celebrities. Pretty fabulous.

Isn't someone supposed to be replacing him in a similar show, but with a different title? I thought that I might have heard that one somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast