Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abusing the ability to modify posts

Default Abusing the ability to modify posts

Everyone modifies occasionally.

However, when we are having a discussion in real time it becomes irksome if a member continually goes back and modifies their posts after responses have been given and the conversation has moved forward.

I have noticed this with one member in particular, who likes to stoke arguments and then rewrite his side of the discussion after it has moved forward.

It's misleading and detracts from the cohesion and integrity of the conversation. Just submit a new post, with the new thoughts. No need to go back and labor over every post so as to position your argument more ideally after a response has been given. It's disingenuous.

We don't have the time to go back and re-read everything twice, to see what new changes have been made.

Post...and move on!
    Andiamo!

Recently observed in just ONE thread, all today, all by the same person while discussing the same thing:

#265: posted 11:44, modified at 11:57

#271: posted 4:35, modified at 4:42

#274 posted 5:02, modified 5:12

#278 posted 5:34, modified at 5:42

#282 posted 5:51, modified 5:58

#291, posted 7:25, modified at 7:45

# 295 posted 7:59, modified at 8:12 and again at 8:14

Several of these were actually modified 2 or 3 times! This kind of circular posting does not make a conversation, it makes a mess.

This is not necessarily something that needs moderator attention, but it should just be considered good forum etiquette to post AHEAD, not BACKWARDS.

Uh---ummmm....... if you are by any chance...refering to me: the time of the rewrite is posted. I will often post... immediately go back to add something... keep the page open and keep writting ( I am working while I'm here and and multi tasking). I can understand how this could be disturbing.

As far as:

"I have noticed this with one member in particular, who likes to stoke arguments and then rewrite his side of the discussion after it has moved forward."

The latest thread (Berlusconi) is there for all to judge on their own as to whom is honestly contributing and who is making trouble.

If you can point to any post that I rewrote that created confusion afterward because of the rewrite... please point it out.

In the meantime I will try to be more careful about this and organize my thoughts for the post before hand.

Great. Thanks.

Now, as for this:
    The latest thread (Berlusconi) is there for all to judge on their own as to whom is honestly contributing and who is making trouble.
    It was I who started that thread, and yet you've been zealously making trouble on it, and guarding it like some kind of flying monkey.

I have no need to explain to others how they should judge the thread. The thread is there. The forum members are adults and will come to their own conclusions.

If you can point to any post that I rewrote that created confusion afterward because of the rewrite... please point it out.
    Again, this request smells more like some kind of challenge than a genuine request for more information... another way of posting that quickly becomes tiresome.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Anyone that spends that much time rewriting posts clearly has WAY too much time on their hands, and an otherwise uneventful 'life'.

Midtown pointed out a problem for him which I agreed "I can understand how this could be disturbing". I mentioned that I would be more careful about rewrites. I responded in an entirely civil way. Yet:

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Again, this request smells more like some kind of challenge than a genuine request for more information... another way of posting that quickly becomes tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Anyone that spends that much time rewriting posts clearly has WAY too much time on their hands, and an otherwise uneventful 'life'.

Moderators?

No, you have it wrong AGAIN. Jeez.

You did strike a conciliatory tone by admitting the rewriting could be disturbing (ding ding, you earned a point there) and I responded with a polite "Thanks",

But
    THEN, you erased the progress with this:
    which wasn't so nice, and I responded to that in kind.
    You will get served back everything you dish. How can you expect otherwise?

Stop calling for moderators and just start being a nicer person.
    As my dad used to say, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.

Forum members and moderators follow the progression of this thread:

Midtown posts his problem.

I agree with him. I tell him that I will be more careful in the future. But in his request he also posted:

"I have noticed this with one member in particular, who likes to stoke arguments ...."

To that I simply responded:

"The latest thread (Berlusconi) is there for all to judge on their own as to whom is honestly contributing and who is making trouble"

Notice that I'm not accusing anyone. I'm letting others decide.

To that Midtown responds:

"It was I who started that thread, and yet you've been zealously making trouble on it, and guarding it like some kind of flying monkey."

To that I write:

"I have no need to explain to others how they should judge the thread. The thread is there. The forum members are adults and will come to their own conclusions."

Again: note I'm not being confrontational.

Then after I simply ask him to point out any rewrites that may have caused confusion... we get the following:

"Again, this request smells more like some kind of challenge than a genuine request for more information... another way of posting that quickly becomes tiresome."

Now, after all that, Midtown concludes telling me:

"Stop calling for moderators and just start being a nicer person.
    As my dad used to say, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar"

Again folks: you be the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    I have noticed this with one member in particular, who likes to stoke arguments..."

Was that useful for you, framing everything in the best possible light for yourself?
    You might actually be surprised by how some of the "folks" judge the way you post.

When I said:

"Again, this request smells more like some kind of challenge than a genuine request for more information... another way of posting that quickly becomes tiresome."

Nothing wrong with that. Nothing whatsoever, except it being very true. Deal with it. You pose those disingenuous requests for "more information" all the time, usually closed with a sarcastic "Thanks." Yes, it is tiresome.

When I said:

"yet you've been zealously making trouble on it, and guarding it like some kind of flying monkey"

That was true...anyone who goes back and reads that thread in its fullness will see the accuracy in that very quickly. All those invitations for people to read the thread...I hope some of them do, so they can see how bizarre your conduct has been on that thread, and coincidentally, on the other thread that featured Italy unflatteringly.

When I said:

"Stop calling for moderators and just start being a nicer person.
    As my dad used to say, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar"

There is no problem with that either. Just some honest advice you might find useful if you are humble enough to accept it.

"The latest thread (Berlusconi) is there for all to judge on their own as to whom is honestly contributing and who is making trouble"

Notice that I'm not accusing anyone. I'm letting others decide.
    Oh sure! By that logic, when I said "I have noticed this with one member in particular, who likes to stoke arguments..."

I didn't mean you! LOL. Yeah right! See, by your way of reasoning, there's no accusing being done by me either! Yay!

We all know what you were getting at. Enough games. Cut the routine.

Fab and Midtown, where do you two get all that stamina?

lots of walnuts and oysters

Oysters. I can do that!
    Houston may not be the end-all, or the beginning of, but this place is lousy with oysters. Come December, I'll be gathering them up by the pillow case load from Galveston bay. Crack one open by mistake while gathering?...no problemo... eat it right there while you are standing in the bay.......
    Yum!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast