Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Pace University Dorm - 180 Broadway - Karl Fischer

I saw this today. It's not bad, and it's far better than the POS on the corner that it replaced. Obviously, it would be nice if everything was Gehry/Nouvel quality, but that's not going to happen. This could have been worse.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; January 5th, 2013 at 03:06 PM.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i'm not a huge fan of this building however i do like the double height full on glass at street level. this makes for a much more clean and airy feel when walking the blocks outside the building. the streetscape in the financial district would be much more pleasant if other buildings followed this approach.

can you say "Apple Store"?

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i doubt it. this doesn't really feel to me like an apple store part of town.

No way to Apple Store. A good spot for them would be the corner at 23 Wall, opposite the exchange. This building doesn't deserve to be on Broadway and I find this very disheartening regarding the future of the Financial District.

There are three contiguous beautiful old buildings on Maiden Lane that have been empty for years. Clearly, they will be razed and replaced by sh.i.t.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; January 12th, 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Default 30 March 2013

This is much better than I expected and is largely inoffensive.

It also blends nicely with the other beige etc etc buildings on Broadway when looking South from Canal or so.

I agree.

Cheap pile.

How would it have been if they'd gone higher, with good glass? High enough to fully reflect the Corbin?

But that would require an entirely different building.

DNA info
    http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...ncial-district

Pace University Opens 24-Story Dorm in Financial District

By Irene Plagianos on August 31, 2013 11:49am | Updated on August 31, 2013 11:49am

@IrenePlagianos

FINANCIAL DISTRICT — Six hundred Pace University students have a new home in Lower Manhattan.

The university’s 24-story dormitory at 180 Broadway is opening Labor Day weekend for upperclassmen.
    The high-rise, which took about two years to construct, includes a fitness center, staff offices and student common areas.
    The lower levels of the building — which sits at the corner of John Street and Broadway, next to the restored Corbin Building and under-construction Fulton Center transit hub — will be home to an Urban Outfitters and a TD Bank, according to the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center.
    Pace's Manhattan campus is just a few blocks away at 1 Pace Plaza, near the Brooklyn Bridge.
    The university, long thought of as a commuter school, also has another nearby 600-student dorm in the works. The 29-story Beekman Street building is slated to be finished in 2015.

The newly opened 24-story Pace University dorm sits at 180 Broadway, next to the under-construction Fulton Center and restored Corbin Building.
    ">

The new Pace University dorm is opening to students Labor Day weekend. ">

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011