Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pace University Dorm - 180 Broadway - Karl Fischer

NY has no respect for the past. That beautiful building should have been preserved.

Not only is that beautiful old building getting demolished, but it's also being replaced with an unworthy cheap abomination. Right across the street from a well-designed transit center. Which will also become a great public gathering space that will be the new entryway to the Financial District, greeting thousands (millions?) of visitors and tourists every year. That's a quadruple combo punch against Downtown. Good job, Pace University

Smash!

Little more clearing of the corner lot, then the taller building we all think should have been saved will come down into it. I wonder if there will be a new entrance to the subway through this building. That would do wonders for pedestrian density at this corner. Also, I am intrigued by the original roofline of the building that was here before the buildings that just got torn down.

Height complex:

Been a little while, so here's the lovely old building nearly gone. Moment of silence everyone.

It's gone completely now. Once the weather brightens up I'll head past and see if they've started digging. I assume there will be no pause between demo and construction based on the finality of plans/filings.

Such a prime site -- and what's planned to go in is such a sorry box.

Pace: Booooo!

I will be really interested as this building goes up in the quality of materials used. The design is actually a strong nod to the look of Pace's other tower by the campus. That automatically makes this building somewhat interesting to me. The design itself may not be my cup of tea, but I do like branding through design.

Much like my Willow Hotel comment, founding has commenced, and they are moving fast. Mobile crane on site already. This will surely get a tower crane pretty quickly.

Here's an older pic from when this was a deep hole. Underpinning/founding is happening quick. This should be shooting back up out of the hole shortly.

Tower crane base going in today and a new rendering posted.

A McSam on top of a retail taxpayer.
    The worst part is this is a very visible area, across from a new 1 billion dollar transit center yet they're building a dorm.

That is really bad. Downtown continues to have among the very best and the very worst new buildings.

The sad thing is two very prominent developers are behind this. I would expect much better.

Tough call. A beautiful small building was taken down for this, as were a few absolute wastes of space. TONS of students live on John St, though. One of the converted office buildings is "intern" housing (see dorms). 200 Water WAS a dorm (even though it is not now). MANY students live in the Crest over on Wall and Pearl, though, because it's cheap for the area (and has tons of tiny jr4s that kids split). This is a pretty boring building in a relatively visible space. That said, the stuff across the street that is half Century 21 and half other stuff is just trashed, and this doesn't add/subtract from that. I just don't know.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Can someone explain to me why the developer here is now a villain but the Gary Barnett's and CIM/Macklowe's of the world are somehow free of the cheap label?

Granted their products are nowhere this bad but given how their's are ultra luxury in tony locations and this is a dorm in a gritty area, I think the situations otherwise are comparable.

I would like to hear this one.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast