Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pace University Dorm - 180 Broadway - Karl Fischer

Oh racism, you're so silly! This area certainly sees a healthy mix of good and bad, though, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the developer here is now a villain but the Gary Barnett's and CIM/Macklowe's of the world are somehow free of the cheap label?

Granted their products are nowhere this bad but given how their's are ultra luxury in tony locations and this is a dorm in a gritty area, I think the situations otherwise are comparable.

I would like to hear this one.
    Apples and oranges. Pace is building a dormitory for themselves. Extell & CIM are building speculative buildings that must turn a profit.
    Pace didn't have to knock down a pre-war building and build a dorm in a central location such as Broadway & Fulton.

The intersection of John and Broadway is by no means a shabby location - you'll have premier retail here. Jeff Sutton only invests in prime retail locations.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Apples and oranges. Pace is building a dormitory for themselves. Extell & CIM are building speculative buildings that must turn a profit.
    You do realize that actually supports my point, right? Pace doesn't have a reason to build nice, the other two do.
    Pace didn't have to knock down a pre-war building and build a dorm in a central location such as Broadway & Fulton.
    Huh? That doesn't make any sense. I didn't know that sort of location was off limits to Pace.

Point is it's a location that warrants and can support a much better project. If they couldn't afford to build a better project in such a prime location they could have easily built a dorm elsewhere.

Even if you're not satisfied by their designs, the CIM Tower and C57 are billion dollar projects taking full advantage of their location and market.

Quote Originally Posted by NoyokA View Post
    That is really bad. Downtown continues to have among the very best and the very worst new buildings.
    *cough*WilliamBeaverHouse*cough*

Or 8 Stone, or 20 Maiden, or the Holiday Inn Express on Water St. The list is solidly long. Good thing there's also Gehry, 123 Washington, and the WTC... Much of the small stuff in the Seaport has been reasonable nice, if not overwhelming, as well.

But all those listed above, IMO, range between "meh" and "quite bad", and I think this dorm will fall in the latter category. William Beaver is the only one that is highly visible with its prominent eyesore aesthetic, and is thus offensive to the viewer from any street vista, or even a skyline view from Brooklyn. It needs a reclad ASAP.

AND to the street. Crane's still not up, oddly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NoyokA View Post
    That is really bad. Downtown continues to have among the very best and the very worst new buildings.
    True. I *guess* that's better than getting just the very worst buildings, as seems to be happening in the Garment District, where great, atmospheric old Gotham is getting pillaged for the World's Largest Collection of Gene Kaufman.

I really hope some developers who don't hate NY and New Yorkers come about in 20 years and dismantle the entire legacy of Karl Fischer, along with Kaufman, Poon, O'Hara ... This crap is making the city much uglier than vast stretches of the Third World.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    True. I *guess* that's better than getting just the very worst buildings, as seems to be happening in the Garment District, where great, atmospheric old Gotham is getting pillaged for the World's Largest Collection of Gene Kaufman.
    Virtually 100% of the Garment District hotels are being built on parking lots or temporary taxpayers.

If anything, the new hotels are strengthening the streetscape. Nothing is worse in terms of urbanity than a parking lot, and an ugly hotel with street level activity and no parking is 1000 times more street friendly than parking or taxpayers.

Nothing is worse than a parking lot
    I beg to differ- anything put up by Kaufman is worse- because it
    robs us all of the opportunity to have something truly brilliant built there instead- even if it takes years longer.
    I'm sorry but this level of ugly does nothing to strengthen anything....Having lived in the Garment district for 30 would still prefer the lots.
    I'll agree to disagree with you now because NOTHING will change my mind...there ought to be a law against this type of visual terrorism!
    At the very least there should be a limit to how many of these turds can be dropped in a specific area.

And we've crested street level. Crane's still not up.

The Crane went up this past weekend

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast