Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pace University Dorm - 180 Broadway - Karl Fischer

Default Pace University Dorm - 180 Broadway - Karl Fischer

Derek2k3 posted a link from the DOB regarding a new building at 182 B'Way. The good news is that the building there is an absolute POS. The bad news is that the schmuck Karl Fischer is the "architect." After doing some research, I uncovered the really bad news: the wangs that own this also own the stunning pre-War building just to the south, 180 B'Way. It will really suck if that's razed.

This is from SL Green's website regarding its joint venture with Jeff Sutton for this project:

•In February 2008, the Company, through its joint venture with Jeff Sutton, acquired the properties located at 182 Broadway and 63 Nassau Street for approximately $30.0 million. These properties are located adjacent to 180 Broadway which the joint venture acquired in August 2007. The joint venture also closed on a $31.0 million loan which bears interest at 225 basis points over the 30-day LIBOR. The loan has a three year term and two one-year extensions. The joint venture drew down $21.1 million at the closing.

http://investor.shareholder.com/slg/...leaseid=305774
    Last edited by londonlawyer; August 5th, 2010 at 11:33 PM.

Would they really raze 180 Broadway?
    The 12 story office building is almost the same height of the proposed hotel.

The development company listed on the NB permit is 180 Broadway LLC though. Hopefully they plan to convert it.

I hope that they plan to convert it. That building is stunning.

DOB shows for 180 Bway a pre-filed Alt 2 App dated 7.28.10, but it has no info. Alt 2 would seem to indicate renovation.

DOB shows for 182-184 Bway a NEW BUILDING App filed 7.30.10 for a new 19-story building with 196 units. Latest info: APPLICATION PROCESSED - ENTIRE 08/02/2010

Isn't it the case that sometimes, they file for a minor alteration as a prelude to demolition? I hope that this beautiful tower is not razed.

As for the crap on the corner and on John St., I welcome the wrecking ball. I used to buy Car & Driver in that little stationary store, but that building was an eyesore.

The DOB filings are very preliminary -- ya never know in NYC.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Ideally, they would transfer all of the air rights from 180 to the 182-184 lot. This way, 180 would be somewhat protected and 182-184 would be allowed to be built larger.

Of course in this city, we all know the ideal doesn't always happen.

I've always wanted to see a nice small building replace this junk. I like the building in the middle of this site, but I'd be willing to lose it in order to get rid of the POC on the corner with the repulsive sushi place.

Jeez. It looks like a sorry match for the ugly pile that rises behind Century 21 across the way.

Bigger image of the base from DNA INFO:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	story_xlimage_2010_12_R2268_PACE_UNIVERSITY_NEW_DORM12242010.jpg 
Views:	6623 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	11768

It's sad that a beautiful building will be razed for this, and it's an insult to the magnificent old towers that it will be adjacent to.

Wow the folks who run Pace are as tasteless as the ones at NYU. With all the vacant lots and taxpayers along Nassau and Ann streets that are closer to Pace, they chose to throw up a dorm here?

And Karl Fischer goes and designs a building inspired by that brutalist hulk.

Bunch of clowns. ::bangs head on wall::

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Karl Fischer is a talentless hack.

But then again...which of the ones (Kaufman, O'Hara, Kondylis, SLCE, Ismael Leyva, Bricolage, etc.) that regularly ply their trades in this city aren't?

Since I expect very little of new construction in NY, I would not mind this pile of crap were it not for the fact that this beautiful building is being razed. I am amazed at NY's utter disregard for preserving its past.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast