Page 107 of 114 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Thumbs up Blocks 67 & 68 Zoning Change

On the agenda for tomorrow night's Town Council meeting is the rezoning of blocks 67 & 68, which is where the Myles F. Kelley building products distribution center and a few smaller businesses exist. This site sits along Harrison Avenue and is across Dey Street from the One Harrison Avenue site (where a five-story, 260-unit building is currently under construction). I'm not sure if Hornrock/BNE (developers of One Harrison Ave) have been trying to acquire it, but the Heller family (which is building the Hub community next to the Northeast Corridor/PATH) currently owns most of it (I believe they purchased the Myles F. Kelley property back in 2009).

It could potentially hold two large buildings with an extension of Jersey Street between, though I'm not sure what maximum height is allowed under the new zoning. Seems that they'll end up building in the range of 5-7 stories though, as that's the trend now.

Link: http://townofharrisonnj.com/wp-conte.../12/Agenda.pdf

West Hudson, I would like to see the Miles F. Kelley Building torn down for many reasons that I will not go into here. The Town of Harrison can get much more valuable ratables if the Miles F. Kelley and other properties go. It would be great if condos instead of rental units are built. Doesn’t Heller have some a share of the Hornrock Project currently under construction ?

West Hudson, I checked the Russo Development Website and it clearly states that the Harrison Vermella Building is the first phase of their housing projects in Harrison. Obviously, there is a great demand for housing near the PATH Station. It probably makes sense for Russo Development to wait until they begin construction on a new building site with all of the construction currently going on.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    West Hudson, I would like to see the Miles F. Kelley Building torn down for many reasons that I will not go into here. The Town of Harrison can get much more valuable ratables if the Miles F. Kelley and other properties go. It would be great if condos instead of rental units are built. Doesn’t Heller have some a share of the Hornrock Project currently under construction ?
    I'm with you there, man, but the MFK was built at a time when Harrison built low to the ground. Big or small, those are still very yummy tax ratables there. If the town asks them to move, you can guarantee they'll want a nice payout to do so or go down fighting any eminent domain process. It's all a complicated mess.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    On the agenda for tomorrow night's Town Council meeting is the rezoning of blocks 67 & 68, which is where the Myles F. Kelley building products distribution center and a few smaller businesses exist. This site sits along Harrison Avenue and is across Dey Street from the One Harrison Avenue site (where a five-story, 260-unit building is currently under construction). I'm not sure if Hornrock/BNE (developers of One Harrison Ave) have been trying to acquire it, but the Heller family (which is building the Hub community next to the Northeast Corridor/PATH) currently owns most of it (I believe they purchased the Myles F. Kelley property back in 2009).

It could potentially hold two large buildings with an extension of Jersey Street between, though I'm not sure what maximum height is allowed under the new zoning. Seems that they'll end up building in the range of 5-7 stories though, as that's the trend now.

Link: http://townofharrisonnj.com/wp-conte.../12/Agenda.pdf
    Thanks WHud for keeping us up to date. I'm making it my new years resolution to try to make the town council meetings for 2018. Does it get crowded? And can you just show up or do you have to pre-register? Thanks again.

Section 08, I could be wrong, but I believe that the Miles F. Kelley Building is owned by Heller Development. If that is the case, Heller Development could choose not to renew the lease down the road when it expires. I am not an expert in these matters so maybe I am being too simplistic. I make no claim to be an expert in these matters, but as I wrote I would love to see this firm move to a non residential area where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    Thanks WHud for keeping us up to date. I'm making it my new years resolution to try to make the town council meetings for 2018. Does it get crowded? And can you just show up or do you have to pre-register? Thanks again.
    You can just show up at these meetings. No need to register in advance. The Town Council meetings are in a large open space that you can enter and leave at any time without causing a disruption; the Planning Board meetings are a little different and are held in a smaller room around a table.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    Section 08, I could be wrong, but I believe that the Miles F. Kelley Building is owned by Heller Development. If that is the case, Heller Development could choose not to renew the lease down the road when it expires. I am not an expert in these matters so maybe I am being too simplistic. I make no claim to be an expert in these matters, but as I wrote I would love to see this firm move to a non residential area where it belongs.
    Heller (or a new owner, if another firm were to buy the land) can also buy MFK out of their lease (I think this might have been done at the Top Car Auto Sales business where One Harrison Ave is being built). The big question for this new site is, will the city be able to facilitate the sale of the smaller properties? There are a couple smaller buildings there, including Spanish Pavilion (which I believe owns about 5-6 of the small parcels), and the small DM Computer Services building. So there might be 2 or 3 other owners who need to agree to sell in order for a major transformative project to take shape here.

Will it be condos or rentals? My guess is rentals. I think a lot of these developers are looking long-term and realize that a significant number of Millennials will never move to the suburbs since so many of us aren't having kids (the major reason most people leave cities). I'm sure they want to capture the appreciation in value and continued increases in rents over the coming decades.
    Last edited by West Hudson; December 9th, 2017 at 12:19 PM.

And it's coming down.

P.S. Thanks WHud for the meeting info.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    To support all of the new development in town, PSEG is building a new substation that will replace an existing one-story office building with a new two-story equipment building. This project is at the corner of South Fifth Street and Bergen Street, across the street from the Lampworks site and just two blocks down South Fifth from the existing PSEG substation. The new two-story building will contain switchgear and the rest of the site will contain transformers and lightning masts. I haven't seen any renderings but I'm under the impression that this will look similar to their substation further up the street, with industrial architecture to fit into the neighborhood. There will be new trees planted along the perimeter of the site but I'm not sure if they're required to install the new street lamps that we see around all of the other new developments.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171212_105359.jpg 
Views:	901 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	18410  

Thumbs up Another Warehouse About to Come Down?

A section of the roof of the structure shown below (near Red Bull Arena) has been removed and there's an excavator sitting in the parking lot next to it, so it seems as if preliminary demo has started. This falls within the new district officially created a few weeks ago for which J. Supor is the designated redeveloper, which will have a mix of residential, office, retail, parking, and public storage space, as well as a large pedestrian promenade leading to the arena. Advance Realty had previously shown this building in a rendering, depicting it as a parking structure with retail wrapping around it. Since it's within a block of the PATH station, it seems like a pretty ideal site for a future residential or mixed-use building.

(I'm still hoping that the large warehouse building to the right is preserved as a family-oriented recreation center...looks like it's the perfect size for an ice skating rink, rock wall, and indoor sports courts for basketball, volleyball, etc...).

Name:	Demo_3.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	18411  
    Last edited by West Hudson; December 17th, 2017 at 10:58 AM.

Thumbs up Steel Going Up at The Hub

Yesterday steel started going up for the first mixed-use building in the Hub community near the PATH station. Looks like that first floor of the first building (which will contain retail, parking, and residential space) should be coming together quickly with a few dozen steel columns already in place. The massive pair of buildings under construction there will really go a long way in filling in what has been a huge void in the streetscape for way too long.

In other news, construction is now up to the fourth floor on Urby 2, most of the first floor (concrete) structure for One Harrison Ave is in place, and many of the walls at the site of the second SteelWorks building are now in place. I'll try to do a photo update this weekend.
    Last edited by West Hudson; December 19th, 2017 at 09:42 PM.

Name:	20171220_102609.jpg 
Views:	734 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	18412  

Thanks for the photo! Looks huge.

Conceptual sketches of what the North-of-Guyon district will look like are available here:

http://www.groarc.com/portfolios/harrison-nog/

Wow, if built it would be a game changer. I'm glad they are incorporating a lot of parking into that design.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Conceptual sketches of what the North-of-Guyon district will look like are available here:

http://www.groarc.com/portfolios/harrison-nog/

Wow. Looks really darn awesome. I really like those residential building designs....they don't look too radically different from what's going up in Harrison Commons (nearby) but they do look different enough to add more character to the city.

And I especially like this part:

The Harrison Redevelopment Agency (HRA), granted a developer designation to the landowner for the project to proceed, with construction of the ring road and the first of ten phases expected in 2019.

It looks like they're going to demo all of the remaining warehouses shown in my post above, and not just the one they're demoing now. They're stripping that one down to raw steel framing pretty quickly.

Name:	NOG_Concept.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	18414  
    Last edited by West Hudson; December 26th, 2017 at 09:42 PM.