Page 109 of 114 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Default Two More Bars Heading to Harrison Commons?

From last night's Town Council agenda, it appears that two more bars (or restaurants with bars) will be moving into Harrison Commons. One will be going into the former Pronto Gourmet space (right on the city square), and the other in the corner retail space in Urby (at the intersection of South Third Street and Cifelli Drive). So it looks like the daycare deal fell through there (which I think is probably a good thing).

Seems Harrison abandoned the idea of a center island park on 5th street between Cape May & Crucible drive.
    I say this because the new Loft Development literally encroached into the east side sidewalk of 5th street. Unless the center island park is narrowed (& ruining the symmetry), that sidewalk will be less than 6 feet wide from wall to curb.

Second the designs so far has been disappointing on the retail side. Renderings originally showed a vibrant neighborhood with all kinds of retail at the lower sidewalk level. That was the whole point of the center Island Park and the way the streets were laid out for the original River Bend development. Crucible drive and 5th Street or supposed to be lined with retail. It is now obvious this development is becoming a boring repetition of large super buildings with Center Parking decks and no retail.

No retailer is going to make it to a town with a ton of new residents that are transient. Bars and restaurants will. It will take some time. More good bars hopefully for Red Bull games too

Cool Quick Construction Update

Here's an update on a few of the larger projects in town:

Urby Phase II

One Harrison Avenue

The Hub

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1978.jpg 
Views:	1610 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	18469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1986.jpg 
Views:	1641 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	18470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1981.jpg 
Views:	1625 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	18471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2030.jpg 
Views:	1617 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	18472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2014.jpg 
Views:	1648 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	18473  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2011a.jpg 
Views:	1625 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	18474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1992.jpg 
Views:	1609 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	18475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1989.jpg 
Views:	1564 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	18476  

There are renders of the NOG site which will make the loss of the massive Guyon factory structures sting less. THEY HAD BETTER NOT BUDGET CUT THIS!!!!

The whole thing is gorgeous, although it could do without those damn skybridges. They ruin the streetlife of an otherwise inviting pedestrian street. It look like Newark's Riverfront Stadium megaproject has some competition!
    https://jerseydigs.com/proposed-20-s...-path-station/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harrison-North-of-Guyon-5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	18477  

My guess is that if they go with something very similar to this design, the major changes they will make are replacement of the single round-edged windows with double-wide rectangular casement windows, and elimination of most of the glass curtainwall. Round-edged windows would be expensive to include (both the windows themselves and the rounded paneling around them would be expensive). And the single-width windows, though they would look really cool from the outside, would be a turnoff for potential tenants since they would really limit the amount of daylight entering the apartments. Otherwise this design is fairly doable in Harrison, with a lot of paneling for the façades (which is fairly cheap and most people think it looks good).

I'm glad to see that the HCIA will be funding construction of the garages since that means if nothing else gets built during this cycle, at least the garages will probably be up relatively soon. HCIA paid for the giant parking deck north of the NEC/PATH in Harrison Commons during the Great Recession (Ironstate/Pegasus were contracted to build it).
    Last edited by West Hudson; March 19th, 2018 at 08:45 PM.

Idk, I don't think that development is at all going to be reality

Quote Originally Posted by msands7 View Post
    Idk, I don't think that development is at all going to be reality
    You're probably right (at least in the form shown). Developers will always show off flashy proposals to Planning Boards to get them excited enough to grant the approvals to build. Then they completely destroy the designs with value engineering after they get past that hurdle. It's just the standard game that developers play all over the country.

The truth is that developers are investors, and they want to get the highest return possible on their investments. If they can save a few million dollars by building something that's cheap overall but has a few bells & whistles (like a pool and a gym) that get tenants to pay premium rents, they'll do it. The most important things to most tenants (except at the very very top of the market) are convenience and price, and the appearance of the building is usually an afterthought to them (and developers realize this of course). So developers are inclined to build cheap buildings with amenities near transit hubs. It's unfortunately just how it is.
    Last edited by West Hudson; March 19th, 2018 at 09:47 PM.

Obviously it's a rendering but it would be awesome if a Trader Joe's and Starbucks really open up in town. Would definitely help the town even more.

-----JT-----

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    Obviously it's a rendering but it would be awesome if a Trader Joe's and Starbucks really open up in town. Would definitely help the town even more.

Trader Joe's - probably not (for awhile, at least). Starbucks - definitely within the next few years (my guess is just north of the PATH station in one of the Hub buildings).

Speaking of which - it looks like they're starting site prep for the 11-story midrise building.

Default Chemical Factory Site

It looks like there is some ground preparation work going on at the Chemical Factory Site next to Waters Edge. There is a large Fields Consruction Sign up now, and today I noticed eight or so vehicles parked at the site. This is the site with the rather controversial apartment building design. I call the building the “Lego Building” . The design has these rather large bright colorful blocks, and it will not fit in al all with other buildings in Harrison. Hopefully, the preliminary design will be changed to something more reasonable. I believe that the Town of Harrison is going to build a park next to this building along the river.

In other news, construction is proceeding nicely on the new grammar school on Harrison Avenue. Steel beams are going up and I believe that construction is supposed to take 19 months to completion.

I have a feeling that those vehicles belong to contractors working on Urby 2. It will be interesting to see what Ironstate develops next though....I have a feeling it will be the condo building next to the Element hotel by the PATH station.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    I have a feeling that those vehicles belong to contractors working on Urby 2. It will be interesting to see what Ironstate develops next though....I have a feeling it will be the condo building next to the Element hotel by the PATH station.
    West Hudson, so is the condo building is going to wrap around the large garage building ? As I recall, it was going to have 80 or so units ? This building has been in the planning stages for quite a few years. I suspect that they will get excellent prices for condos so close to the PATH Station. An Amherst Unit Condo (211) at Riverpark sold on March 20,2018 for $395,000 and was reduced in price from the asking price of $409,000. This is one of the units on the ground level and second level without balconies or terraces. These units flooded during Hurricane Sandy so I think the seller received an amazing price. Imagine what new construction condos will go for.

A new cocktail lounge is coming to the Harrison Station development called The Vanguard - Harrison, taking over the old Pronto Gourmet, Supercuts, and GNC combined space as WHud mentioned back in March. Gonna give the Ah'Pizz some competition which is great because that place gets crowded on Friday nights... standing room only after 10pm! (y'all know I'm anti-crowd) Find them on thevanguardharrison.com.

In other news:

The Hub is gonna be one vast development. I can see the length of it from Seabras and it looks humongous.

This is the front view, moving on up quite nicely.

NWK-bound PATH station is a beauty. I cannot WAIT to see this lit up at night

I hadn't even noticed that they're working on the WTC-bound station up ahead

Err let's try that again zoomed in

And from the street:

Pile foundations across the existing WTC-bound station, was quite exciting to see the pile driver do its thing

Is the JFK Elementary school on Harrison & Washington supposed to be a skyscraper or what? Look at the size of them piles. Either that or really soft topsoil
    Last edited by section08; May 3rd, 2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Appropriate credit

Default Going Big at Forge Lofts

Although this second building seems like it will look virtually identical to the first from Crucible Drive (except for the color scheme), the two are starting to look very different on the Cape May Street side. They're doing a double-height ceiling for the top floor, south-facing units, which adds a sixth level on that side. I have a feeling that these units will set a new record for rents in Harrison (especially considering that the building is the first fully steel-and-concrete residential building in town).

From Crucible Drive:

SteelWorks:

Forge Lofts:

From Cape May Street:

SteelWorks:

Forge Lofts (you can see that sixth level here, as well as a different look to the stair tower):

From the photo below you can see that Forge Lofts is clearly going to be more massive than Steel Works along Cape May Street. Definitely a good thing to see some variety along this stretch:

Last edited by West Hudson; May 6th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.