Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

I plan to attend the meeting on August 16th on the redevelopment of the Geo Chemical Site. The building planned is too large, too ugly etc. I could go on and on. What were they thinking ? Is the town so desperate for ratables that they are going to let any developer build any type of building they want ?

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    Update to Harrison construction:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/08/gro...ew-jersey.html

-----JT-----
    Not sure where they got their information from, but my understanding is that the only thing to start construction on the site in 2019 is the "ring road" that will loop around it to provide vehicular circulation. It appears that the town is trying to work with the Hudson County Improvement Authority on funding for the parking structures to get those built relatively soon, but seems like it's been complicated since several parties are involved. Harrison just created a Parking Authority which purchased the massive Harrison Parking Center - next to the Element hotel - from the HCIA; it appears that this was largely to enable the HCIA to put funding together for this next parking structure on the NOG site.

And given how the Marriott AC fell through, and how difficult it's been to get office tenants in the region to look outside of Manhattan, I really doubt that the developer's going to go ahead and start construction on a massive office/hotel tower in Harrison next year. Heck, Panasonic has already vacated (or is vacating?) the technology center building that Advance Realty built for them just 5 years ago near the stadium.
    Last edited by West Hudson; August 26th, 2018 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Heck, Panasonic has already vacated (or is vacating?) the technology center building that Advance Realty built for them just 5 years ago near the stadium.
    Wait a minute, what? Do you have a link to this?

Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    Wait a minute, what? Do you have a link to this?
    http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/600-G...n-NJ/11459804/

http://www.showcase.com/property/600...Jersey/8905688

There's also a huge 'for lease' banner on the building, facing the Northeast Corridor. It's only been five years since they moved in...although it looks like they have a 15-year lease and they'll be subleasing the entire building. Not sure how this impacts the PILOT the town gave them or the tax credits the state handed out.

Here's a link to one of the original articles about how great a thing it was that Panasonic was moving into the town:

http://www.theobserver.com/2012/10/p...n-tech-center/
    Last edited by West Hudson; August 28th, 2018 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks man, this is such a waste of time for all parties involved.

Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    Thanks man, this is such a waste of time for all parties involved.
    But Panasonic moving to Harrison 5 years ago looked great in the headlines at the time!! lol Unfortunately the reality is that politicians will often sacrifice long-term benefits for the community for their own short-term popularity. This deal was destined to fail from the beginning, but it was strategic for Panasonic and for the town's political administration at the time, it made it look like jobs were being created in town.
    Last edited by West Hudson; August 29th, 2018 at 10:40 PM.

Interestingly, the old industrial structure in front of the Panasonic Building was torn down several weeks ago. I wonder if construction is relatively imminent on this site ? Could it be the site for a new parking garage ?

The new garages will be adjacent to the PATH station (and I believe it will be the HCIA building them and then selling them to the town). The intention is to use them for both commuters and events at Red Bull Arena. From the renderings that have been posted, it looks like the site adjacent to the Panasonic building will become a residential midrise.
    Last edited by West Hudson; September 3rd, 2018 at 09:20 PM.

Default Heller Selling The Hub to Accordia Realty

Accordia was founded by a former Advance Realty executive who helped plan out Harrison MetroCentre (known as Riverbend today) more than a decade ago. It will be interesting to see what Heller does with the rest of their Harrison properties, which make up a significant portion of the area between the NEC and I-280 and are mostly one-story warehouses. They own most of the land between NJRR Avenue and Essex Street from First Street all the way to FER Blvd., along with the Myles F. Kelly building adjacent to Riverpark and One Harrison Avenue (I'm sort of expecting BNE/Hornrock to buy that site since it's adjacent to their new building, but who knows...).

Default Future Development Site - Passaic Avenue

I was surprised to see that the automotive repair business on Passaic Avenue next to the Duncan Donut Shop has gone out of business. I wonder if someone bought the property for development. The automotive repair company seemed to always have a good business, so I do not think it went out of business for economic reasons. I wonder if someone will build two family houses on the site ? I think that the site is large enough for a professional office building for doctors, lawyers etc with perhaps some retail on the first floor. I hope that we do not get another bank.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    I was surprised to see that the automotive repair business on Passaic Avenue next to the Duncan Donut Shop has gone out of business. I wonder if someone bought the property for development. The automotive repair company seemed to always have a good business, so I do not think it went out of business for economic reasons. I wonder if someone will build two family houses on the site ? I think that the site is large enough for a professional office building for doctors, lawyers etc with perhaps some retail on the first floor. I hope that we do not get another bank.
    I have a feeling it will become another set of 2-family homes (those seem to be the big thing in the for-sale market in Harrison right now). The former Polish National Home (reception hall/bar) behind Economy Supply was torn down a few months ago (consisted of a parking lot + four buildings) and is being replaced by eight 2-family homes. Fortunately, it looks like they'll be a bit more urban in design than the others that have been built in town, with a flat roofline (facing Cleveland Ave at least) and a bit closer to the street I believe. If they do them in a variety of colors they could actually look fairly decent.

West Hudson, I suspect that you are correct about two family houses being built on the site. I do think that the two family houses build in Harrison in the last few years are much better than the two family houses build in the 1970s and 1980s. It says something about the state of development in Harrison (and all of Hudson County) that prospective building sites do not stay vacant for a long time before development. Also, all of the two family houses built in Harrison in the last five or so years adds up collectively to a very nice tax ratable for the town.

Default Just in time for Halloween - what were they thinking ?

The Hornrock Development at 1 Harrison Avenue is nearing the final stages of the construction project. I like the use of the different colored bricks and the shades of most of the panels. I really hate the orange panels and matching orange air conditioning vent covers. What were these people thinking ? I know that orange is in vogue for fashion etc. but I think it looks terrible on this building. Moreover, I think that construction projects should avoid fad colors that will quickly make the buildings look dated. I remember the monstrosities built in the 1960s. What was the Planning Commission thinking to allow the panels ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05347D8C-655B-4B86-8137-974A5CA6A084.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	18492

I find it quite comical that the Planning Board clearly didn't care to force a change of the color scheme for the Hornrock project, but for the Benjamin Harrison proposal (which had some enormous shortcomings, none of which they commented on) it was the #1 issue they focused on (for the record, the reflective copper that was most criticized in that proposal has been used on hundreds of buildings throughout Hudson County; on the other hand, I can't say I've seen matte orange used anywhere around here and I've been through most neighborhoods in the area).

Not to go off on a tangent about the B-H proposal, but I also found it pretty pathetic that they spent such a long time arguing for a tiny pedestrian sidewalk along a route where they gave the developer permission to eliminate an entire street that would've had two driving lanes, parking on both sides, and sidewalks on both sides. Absolutely ridiculous.