Page 112 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115 LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1717

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Default Cresthill Academy for infants and toddlers Opening soon

It looks like Cresthill Academy located in the original Urby Building will be opening in the near future. I passed by the place twice this week and a great deal of progress is being made in setting up furnishings. This will be the childcare facility for upscale residents of Harrison. Children will be provided with organic meals and snacks. Children will be given Mandarin Language Classes too. Of course, I suspect many of the toddlers will already speak Mandarin so perhaps the facility will teach other languages to give the toddlers a head start in being successful in life.

Default A future development opportunity on First Street ?

It looks like the Sky Auto Repair on First Street across the street from Watersedge has gone out of business. I have not seen the place open for business in weeks. The lot hidden by the white fence appears the be empty of cars, although a boat is being stored there. I wonder if this property is ripe for development ? The eyesore building next to it called Custom Concepts, which is a division of Economy Supply, is still being occupied and business activities are ongoing. Both buildings could provide land for a decent size development. Regardless, the Town of Harrison should demand that the Custom Concepts Building be repainted and refurbished. Of course, the lack of maintenance could be a sign perhaps that the owner plans to sell it ? Space could be rented by the company in another warehouse building.

That's surprising. Maybe they finally cashed out? (although I would've expected them to wait until the first of the Benjamin Harrison buildings were up since that would've been directly across the street...). Maybe someone made them an offer they couldn't refuse? Maybe even BNE and/or Ironstate (?)

It appears the property address is 308-314 First Street, and the owner is (or was?) Promonta Realty Corp (which appears to have been affiliated with the legal entity that owned all of the Harrison Commons land before the developers battled for control of it).

I remember soil testing taking place around the Custom Concepts building years ago - they even drilled a few feet into First Street for some reason. I've always assumed those would get merged with the town DPW lot and filled in with a large rental or condo building. I guess we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by West Hudson; September 25th, 2018 at 01:55 AM.

Default Josiah Portuguese Restaurant

The new Joia Restaurant has opened in the Harrison Vermella Building. The restaurant has a tasteful modern minimalist feel to it. It is open for lunch and dinner, but closed on Tuesdays. There are TV screens for people who want to watch sporting and other events. The menu was posted in the window, and on a placard outside the restaurant. There is an extensive wine list featuring many Portuguese Wines. I have not yet eaten at the restaurant. The prices were a bit high in my opinion for this type of restaurant establishment. I did not see a less expensive or appropriate lunch menu. There was no notice or placard for “happy hour drink prices.” The food had better be very good, or I do not see this restaurant thriving. Also, they need to do some advertising to let residents know that the restaurant exists and is open. Unless you live at the Vermella or Iron Works or like to walk about town, you would not know of the existence of this restaurant. Note, the name in the title line should read Joia not Josiah. I was unable to make the correction.
    Last edited by dennis200dz; September 26th, 2018 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Correction of name

West Hudson, you may well be correct. I remember hearing talk of selling this Harrison Town DPW Facility and merging it with the other town garage. I really do not think that this town is large enough for two garage facilities. I would like to see more condos built after all of the rental unit built. I wonder if there is any early planning going on for development of the Miles Kelly and surrounding buildings/lots. Perhaps after the Geo Chemical Property is developed, development of Miles Kelly will happen.

Default 1 Harrison Avenue

Just when I thought it could not get any worse than the orange panels at 1 Harrison Avenue, the builders added these strange black metal decorations to the orange panels. Also, you can see from one photo how narrow the Passaic River Walkway is for this building. Ideally, they should have had a grassy strip between the walkway and the building.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70AA79D1-AC53-4C90-83EB-B7D582A6B805.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	18496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BFF9E3E-DD10-476B-9211-774F00069870.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	18495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600BE1EC-4B2F-4646-9106-8A51748EBAD7.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	18497
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870DA122-4E5F-4282-9423-EA0F71D13655.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	18494  

Default Old Industrial Structure Near Red Bull Stadium Being Demolished

Sadly, the large old industrial structure near Red Bull Stadium is being demolished. I and others had hoped that some of the structures of Harrison’s old industrial past could be kept and be renovated and rebuilt. I have no idea of how to move the photos below so that they are facing in the correct manner, anyone know how to get this website’s software to do this ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	792310EF-10B2-46E4-ACF8-AB6DABD4DA36.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	18501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C44BA83-1263-406B-B137-0E90432FB4E0.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	18503
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8835E8C6-E79A-435C-A98B-CD94BC29E628.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	18502  

I thought that was going to be re-purposed into a parking garage?

The developers realized they could make a ton more money by building something new...looking like another residential building. My guess is the town works with the HCIA and Port Authority to start building one of those eight-story parking structures for PATH commuters and Red Bulls fans next year, and the residential/retail development follows. In the interim, they might definitely start using the footprint of the building below as a surface lot.

Below are some pics from Saturday.

West Hudson, I do not mind construction of one or two of those multi-story parking structures as they are certainly needed. I do not want to see too many of them. I do not want to see the area near the new PATH Station become just a parking mecca. Finally, I wonder if the Town of Harrison can tax these structures as tax ratables ? I know that the structures generate franchise fees for the town. Finally, how were you able to post your photos ? The last several months I have had difficulty posting photos in a correct manner, thanks.

Default Ouch, Cobalt Lofts

It looks like the new and exciting Cobalt Lofts is complete except for some finishing touches. I can not wait to get a look inside the structure. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by the two building complexes built by Advance - DiBartolo. I expected “bare bone buildings” based on some of the original designs. I just read this on the web about Cobalt Lofts. Besides a monthly fee of $25 for a cat and $50 for a dog, the Cobalt Lofts is taking this pet fee concept to a new level. Cobalt Lofts is instituting a one time fee of $250 for a cat and $500 for a dog. I wonder how the pet lovers will react to this additional fee ?

Default Urby Phase 2 Nearly Finished

Urby Phase 2 is complete except for some finishing touches. What a fabulous job the architects and builders did with these building projects. The day care center is now open for business. One touch I really like on both Urby Structures is the grating screens on two parts of the building for growing ivy. This is a very nice idea indeed. I am hopeful that 2019 will be the year of increased amenities for the Town of Harrison. With three major housing projects opening for rentals by the end of the year or soon thereafter , and others being built or soon to be built, hopefully we will see more restaurants, upscale bars and other retail facilities. Moreover, the new housing developments in Kearny and Newark will generate more amenities that Harrison Residents can utilize.

Exclamation Updated Benjamin Renderings

Pegasus Group posted some new renderings to their website, along with a drone video of the cleared-out site, just south of Water's Edge. Not sure if this is the current design or a little dated, but certainly looks better than the original. You can see the drone video (and a recent aerial photo of Harrison Commons) here: http://thepegasusgroup.com/projects/...future-phases/

The only thing I really disagree with in this version (as I argued at the Planning Board meeting a few months ago) is the giant parking structure, which can be seen on the right (silver blank wall) in the first rendering below. The same team developed the garage at Urby, which they did a pretty good job with; to me, that looks artistic with a mix of wood and black fins of different heights, and spaced with an opening that exposes some of the concrete structure. Hopefully they can do something similar here because this parking structure screen looks extremely monotonous. In the very least, they could cover parts of the screen with local artwork if they're going for an artistic theme.

I really don't mind the colors, with the exception of the blue I guess. The green corners are a nice break from the grays and browns used on corners of all the other buildings in town IMO.

Last edited by West Hudson; November 6th, 2018 at 01:03 AM.

Thumbs up New Hub Site Owners Get Financing

Link to story: https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...y-development/

I believe these renderings reflect the latest design (personally, I'm excited about the 9-story midrise building):

Last edited by West Hudson; November 14th, 2018 at 02:05 AM.

Default Russo to Start Vermella West Phase II Construction in Spring

According to the below article, Russo Development plans to start construction on another 268 units of rentals on the site to the east of Passaic Avenue (same side as Shoprite/BJ's) in the Spring of 2019. I take it that they're holding off on the original phase II site project since it requires alot more demo and remediation than this third site does.

Link: https://mhpmag.com/2018/11/russo-dev...oses-on-third/