Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Sorry for the delay (busy weekend), but here's a fresh set of photos from this morning:

About one-half of the structural steel for the retail portion of the building is up:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2352.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	11426

Looking Northwest from the PATH station:

Name:	HPIM2354.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	11425

Looking toward the rising development with the new parking structure in the background:

Name:	HPIM2351.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	11427

The Harrison/Ironbound area will no doubt advance upward in the next 5-7 years.

I remember cutting through there during a Red Bull game and the Ironbound was PACKED. Sucked for traffic...great for business.

Nice shots

Default "Harrison commons" vs" Riverbend Metrocentre"

• Its interesting to see how Harrison commons, with little pubic exposure besides their website, has followed through with their plans. Despite the potentially deadly Adler lawsuit, Harrison Commons is now well underway.
      • By contrast, The much bragged about Metrocentre project, now officially renamed "Riverbend District" languishes as 5 square blocks of wild grases,reeds and standing water puddles. Directly across from Red Bull Arena. Years of constant real estate design awards and local media exposure, not even a single bulldozer on site. The construction office trailer sits empty , and the selfish land bankers wont even allow soccer patrons to park on the paved vacant blocks!!! Believe Me, This is the first Stadium I"ve ever seen without major parking lots!!! Here is some BS quotes from them................
    • Vertical construction at the Riverbend District is scheduled to begin in 2010 and will feature more than 800,000sf of retail space,including anchor tenant space,a supermarket and additional retailers. The program also includes a 16 screen(AMC LOEWS?)cinema,several notable restaurants, a 175 key hotel and a 350 key, full service hotel with a 25,000sf conference space. BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!........................................... ..This website came up spring 2009...........it HAS'nt been updated........................................Its now Thursday,November 18th 2010. Soon it will be too cold to pour concrete foundations. What happened?????
    THE RIVERBEND DISTRICT | HARRISON, NEW JERSEY | A PROUD HISTORY ...
    Riverbend. View News Update Download News Update View Leasing Brochure Download Leasing Brochure Advance Realty, Leasing Inquiries: Diana Chace ...
    www.advancerealtygroup.com/harrison_riverbend/ - Cached - Similar "At a time when many developers are delaying or even halting real estate projects, we are proud to announce that Riverbend District( ex Metrocentre), one of the largest brownfield,mixed use development,transit districts underway in NJ." YEAH,RIGHT!! BTW they have removed the artist's birds eye view rendering poster. http://www.northeastrebusiness.com/a...neric-view.jpg
    Last edited by Newarkguy; November 18th, 2010 at 05:54 PM.

Default Riverbend Construction

This is very true, but there may well be more construction activity at Riverbend 12 months from now than at Harrison Commons. I had the opportunity to discuss the redevelopment projects with Mayor McDonough at a picnic a few months ago, and he stated the following:

1. Advance is in talks with Target to open a new store in Riverbend. They are also in negotiations with the town to make admendments to the redevelopment plan in order to allow for such a big-box store to have a presence (the original plans prohibited mega-stores in order to allow for success of smaller retailers and restaurants).

2. Long Island City Hotels (developer of Hampton Inn Suites on Passaic Ave) is currently working on plans for one of the two hotels to open next to the stadium.

If both of these clear the necessary hurdles by late winter, we should be seeing alot of construction activity in Riverbend next summer.

1. Advance is in talks with Target to open a new store in Riverbend. They are also in negotiations with the town to make admendments to the redevelopment plan in order to allow for such a big-box store to have a presence (the original plans prohibited mega-stores in order to allow for success of smaller retailers and restaurants).
    That's disgraceful a Target could open in Harrison but the city of Newark can't even lure a K-Mart.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Well it's right across the river.

Part of me likes the idea for a Target there, as it will draw people from all over the immediate region to the area... which could potentially be a benefit any small businesses or restaurants in the area.

Talking The incredible shrinking redevelopment LOL (or should I cry?)

Whoa!!! a Target? I like Target, but this is not good!!! Target is a big box retailer better suited for open access freeways such as Rt 1&9 (by the Budweiser,rt 46,22 and so on.
    • "
    "1. Advance is in talks with Target to open a new store in Riverbend. They are also in negotiations with the town to make admendments to the redevelopment plan in order to allow for such a big-box store to have a presence (the original plans prohibited mega-stores in order to allow for success of smaller retailers and restaurants)."
    • This means that they are NOT building a "Hoboken city town atmosphere" as they once claimed!! How are they going to have a residential neighborhoods with sidewalk retail and restaurants with target syphoning off costumers? The Target will swallow up massive amounts of land once slated for residences.
    Targets usually have large parking lots. Even a deck would take up substantial space. But this does not surprise me at all. When this whole thing was proposed, the first renderings for Metrocentre showed a new downtown Harrison (Think Newport, J.C.) with high rise residential towers, sidewalk retail and 20-up story commercial skyscrapers. all with access to rt 280 via a new interchange. These plans won regional design awards time and time again in 2005 and since. Promising to blend the two skylines with the passaic river passing in between, just like in Downtown Chicago. But NO!!!! some racist pricks worried that people from out of state may think that Harrison is part of Downtown Newark's Skyscraper district. so the Skyscrapers had to go!! The excuse used was "the traffic" despite the fact that this is supposedly a transit village type redevelopment!! The recent plans now on their website show a boring 3-4 story configuration of low density housing with sidewalk retail. The interior of the blocks occupied by parking decks. All high rises are gone, except for some 8-10 story (its hard to tell from the BLURRY renderings!!)mid rises tucked along the Path/NJT/Amtrak railroad's Northeast Corridor at the north end. No high rises whatsoever in order to differentiate themselves from Newark!! Mulberry promenade had more residential density than Riverbend does now!! The new low residential density is not enough to support a 16 screen cinema, let alone the other fancy retailers they once proposed. I think the economy has killed this development as it was dreamed of. They are BACKTRACKING. It seems that there's a window of time that is closing in on them and now they are scrambling for plan "B"s I will no longer look forward to this development since everytime I check...it shrinks lol. I tell you...in the end,Harrison commons,while smaller than Riverbend,will have larger density and be more exiting. Kudos to Harrison commons!!
    Last edited by Newarkguy; November 20th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Well it's right across the river.
    lol true but this reminds me of what happened in Chicago not too long ago. A Wal-Mart planned to open up shop in an underdeveloped section of the city but "community groups" killed the plan. Instead, they moved to the next town over, yet many of the employees are from the South Side of Chicago.

http://www.theneweditor.com/index.ph...-Wal-Mart.html

The Riverbend plan has ample parking included already, so it can easily support a Target. The Target would get alot of PATH and bus users as well. I would assume that the Target is taking over the space that was planned for the multi-plex movie theatre. Those seem to be becoming less popular in favor of smaller movie theatres like Clearview Cinemas type theatres. I see Target as helping future businesses in the area, restaurants and bars would greatly benefit from outsiders in the area making their way and stopping for lunch or dinner. Not to mention that Target would probably bring a much needed grocery store to the area.

The reason developments are actually happening in Harrison is because they are meeting market demands. High rises would be tough to finance in this economy. Instead we see progress in Harrison.

Forum Veteran

Does anybody have a site plan for all the sites being built.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
    That's disgraceful a Target could open in Harrison but the city of Newark can't even lure a K-Mart.
    Ditto!

As you can see below, quite a bit of progress has been made over the past two weeks. The Northwest corner of the building is being topped off, with a parapet wall currently being constructed; the floor for the section of the building above the retail has been installed; and construction for the underground utilities that will serve this section of the building is almost complete.

Enjoy the photos and have a happy Thanksgiving!

View to the Northwest:

Name:	HPIM2396.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	11489

Parapet walls under construction (top of photo):

Name:	HPIM2401.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	11495

New floor over steel retail section:

Name:	HPIM2395.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	11494

View to the east; a seven-story building is slated for construction between the building under construction (left) and the relatively new parking structure (right):

Name:	View from Parking Lot (rotated).jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	11496

New roads have been paved:

Name:	HPIM2393.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	11492

Construction of the base of the eastern half of the building:

Name:	HPIM2404.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	11491

Looking Southeast from ground level:

Name:	HPIM2406.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	11490
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2408.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	11493  
    Last edited by West Hudson; November 25th, 2010 at 01:34 AM.

Forum Veteran

Some Photos i took yesterday

Nice photos, Nexis!

Here are a few panarama's I shot to give anyone who hasn't been to Harrison a better idea of the size of this first part of Harrison Commons Phase I:

View to the Northwest:

Name:	DSCF0034.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	11505

Looking South (the residential portion of the structure on the left should be going vertical this week):

Name:	DSCF0037.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	11506
    Last edited by West Hudson; November 29th, 2010 at 01:23 PM.