Page 21 of 114 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

It's so interesting how a large residential project is already completed in Harrison a year and a half after the Red Bull Arena opened, yet in downtown Newark, no large residential projects have taken shape a full 5 years after the Prudential Center opened.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's a safer area.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by scrollhectic View Post
    It's so interesting how a large residential project is already completed in Harrison a year and a half after the Red Bull Arena opened, yet in downtown Newark, no large residential projects have taken shape a full 5 years after the Prudential Center opened.
    To be honest , most of this was supposed to be built , what 10 years ago? If the building or project isn't in the NJ Gold Coast it seems to take longer or get cancelled.

So.....has anyone moved in?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    To be honest , most of this was supposed to be built , what 10 years ago? If the building or project isn't in the NJ Gold Coast it seems to take longer or get cancelled.
    In defense of HARRISON commons/station, Its 10 years in the making because of a Rich ,yet selfish landowner Steve(?) But ADLER is definitely his last name. He sued the Harrison redevelopment over Emminent domain(Probably inspired by Newark's Mr Mytrowitz's victory in killing Newark's downtown residential renaissance.)Thank goodness Adler settled. Otherwise, Harrison would be a vacant wasteland south of I280. Meanwhile,no sign of life over by REDBULL stadium. Where the riverbend landbank continues! No lawsuit delayed them, they simply are just not interested in building. I'm calling it Harrison's Halsey Village debacle. LOL
    Last edited by Newarkguy; October 12th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    It's a safer area.
    Yet they're building a Marriott. Safety isn't the issue; it's in a safer area than The Beacon in JC or the new housing in Orange near the EO border. This project should have been completed a decade ago.

It's A LOT cheaper to build in Harrison than it is in Newark. Harrison had plenty of open space around the arena, whereas Newark, any project would have to be built into a city grid. Harrison and Newark, however close, are completely different animals. Even in Harrison, while there were some projects completed, they're still going through the same delays/stalled projects (not to mention the town is taking a hit b/c of the cost to build the stadium)

It's a safer area.
    It's in the middle of old industrial land. Safety isn't an issue, money is.

I think most people would choose Harrison over Newark as a place to live.

By this logic no housing--market rate or not--should be built at all in Newark. Let's leave downtown the way it is with no improvements whatsoever. No chance to lure in taxpaying residents, no chance to gain some development, etc. Newsflash: if you think Harrison is crime free you're mistaken. I work there.

Yeah, I would agree w/ that statement if left as general as it is (not to mention, this statement veers off the subject somewhat).

BUT, once you break it down, it kind of changes things i.e.: We're not talking Harrison vs. Newark's 16th ave, or Avon ave. And we're not talking Harrison the existing township either. We're talking vacant Harrison stadium land (and immediate surround) vs. downtown Newark.

You said it was safe, but my thing is most of the area around the stadium is vacant land, so how could it not be? It's like saying the parking lot at Short Hills mall is safer than downtown New Brunswick (which is true, but it doesn't really make a point)

All I know is, I've walked around both Harrison and Newark for years, and Harrison is safer.

I'm literally curious how you went from Harrison stadium area development vs. downtown Newark development to simply Harrison (township) vs. Newark (city).

No one is saying the whole of Newark is safer than Harrison (scroll's original comment, that you responded to, was questioning downtown Newark development vs. Harrison stadium development. It doesn't make sense when you try to equate that to Newark overall and Harrison overall).

You're veering into claims no ones trying to dispute, and you keep pushing them. It's...confusing.

Scroll's post, for clarity:

"It's so interesting how a large residential project is already completed in Harrison a year and a half after the Red Bull Arena opened, yet in downtown Newark, no large residential projects have taken shape a full 5 years after the Prudential Center opened".
    Last edited by 66nexus; October 13th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Also, as Marv pointed out: there are plenty of places Harrison areas are safer than, yet development still went ahead in those areas. Safety, while important, simply isn't the only factor (it's not even the most significant one)

Forum Veteran

If safety were a factor , then we would see the South Bronx Boom. $$$ talk and walk in this region.

It's so interesting how a large residential project is already completed in Harrison a year and a half after the Red Bull Arena opened, yet in downtown Newark, no large residential projects have taken shape a full 5 years after the POrudential Center opened.
    One of the reasons would be because most of the Prudential Center redevelopment area is being proposed as commercial/retail.

The parking is valuable for the time being. And we're still at least a couple of years away from Triangle Park