Page 32 of 114 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
    The downtown CBD/Ironbound core isn't less safe than Harrison, which has car break-ins/thefts and a rape I was notified of during a Red Bulls game awhile back.
    I would definetly disagree, Harrison is much safer. Of course all towns have crime, and the Red Bulls Stadium will obviously cause crime to go up (drinking & a lot of out of town people etc)

I suppose its difficult to separate the irond bound from newark with simple data, but Harrison's crime rates have drastically decreased over the last 10yrs... http://www.city-data.com/city/Harrison-New-Jersey.html

Forum Veteran

Harrison seems to be this quiet Oasis surrounded by a fast paced Metropolis....I never felt unsafe walking around , even the worst looking Industrial areas never give me problems....ive also never had anybody harass me or bother me for some change which happens in Newark , Hoboken , and Jersey City every time i'm there.

I agree...two years living in town and never felt unsafe. I guess it helps the town has a comparatively high police presence for such a small town.

-----JT-----

It was probably someone the rape victim knew. "Date rape". There are many people in Nj ,mainly WASPS, who refuse to believe the Newark area has any good areas.

A friend of my girlfriend's, Tina ,a greek american, was trash talking Newark(busting my chops), saying every corner had drug addits. She dismissed Forest Hill,Society Hill, The Ironbound, Harrison. It became apparent she was one of those who believe that unless its "white", its ghetto! (I guess she does not consider SPAIN and PORTUGAL european/white. She's the typical dumbed down lady of 2012 who can't find her street on a map!) She should know better, being olive complexioned herself!

When I showed her photos of The Kearny st Patricks day parade, full of Irish Americans, she said..." Ok, so? "All black cities have their white trash areas!!"
    Some people you just can't help!......wait, I should have showed her a photo of TOPPS diner! If the "all diners are Greek" stereotype holds, she'll reverse herself, LOL!
    Last edited by Newarkguy; April 21st, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    It was probably someone the rape victim knew. "Date rape". There are many people in Nj ,mainly WASPS, who refuse to believe the Newark area has any good areas.

A friend of my girlfriend's, Tina ,a greek american, was trash talking Newark(busting my chops), saying every corner had drug addits. She dismissed Forest Hill,Society Hill, The Ironbound, Harrison. It became apparent she was one of those who believe that unless its "white", its ghetto! (I guess she does not consider SPAIN and PORTUGAL european/white. She's the typical dumbed down lady of 2012 who can't find her street on a map!) She should know better, being olive complexioned herself!

When I showed her photos of The Kearny st Patricks day parade, full of Irish Americans, she said..." Ok, so? "All black cities have their white trash areas!!"
    Some people you just can't help!......wait, I should have showed her a photo of TOPPS diner! If the "all diners are Greek" stereotype holds, she'll reverse herself, LOL!
    Hard to change the mind of those kind of folks. Friend of mine at work hates everything within a 10 mile radius of Newark, including Harrison. I told him about Harrison's recent developments and some of the stuff on the way but he wasn't having it. He wouldn't go to a Red Bull or Devils game, not b/c of the teams but b/c of safety. The irony of it? He's a die-hard Yankee fan and goes to the Bronx ALL THE TIME.

On a side note: I always was a sucker for olive-skinned women

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    hard to change the mind of those kind of folks. Friend of mine at work hates everything within a 10 mile radius of newark, including harrison. I told him about harrison's recent developments and some of the stuff on the way but he wasn't having it. He wouldn't go to a red bull or devils game, not b/c of the teams but b/c of safety. The irony of it? He's a die-hard yankee fan and goes to the bronx all the time.

On a side note: I always was a sucker for olive-skinned women
    lol!
    Last edited by Newarkguy; April 21st, 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Forum Veteran

My journey through Harrison...to Jersey City....

Hi All - been following the forum for a while now and finally decided to join in. I invested in Harrison (River Park condo) 3 years ago mainly because of all the planned development. I'm excited to see things FINALLY picking up!

I just came across this article in the Wall Street Journal and thought I'd share.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...095414614.html

What are the current rent prices in the new development abutting the path station?

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    "The same partnership [Pegasus + Ironstate] plans to break ground this spring on a 138-room Element by Westin hotel, as well as a second apartment building. "
    They better finish that little station exit face lift first. It has been on going for months with workers digging trenches, putting in the dirt, digging it again, putting in the dirt again. I saw they repeated these things very slowly in such a small area without much progress. How much does port authority have to pay them for this?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by z22 View Post
    They better finish that little station exit face lift first. It has been on going for months with workers digging trenches, putting in the dirt, digging it again, putting in the dirt again. I saw they repeated these things very slowly in such a small area without much progress. How much does port authority have to pay them for this?
    They probably threw 4 million at this site alone....

That explains why they needed to dig and fill 4 times already. Looks like they are doing more of that again now.

Default Starwood Officially Announces Element Hotel Harrison

Not sure if the '2014' part is a typo, but according to the press release, it looks like the hotel will be opening a year later than advertised on the Starwood site...so if 2014 is in fact the right year, I'm wondering if it will really take Ironstate a full 2 years to build the next phase of Harrison Commons.
    -------------------------------------------
    STAMFORD, Conn., Apr 24, 2012(BUSINESS WIRE) — Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. today announced plans to open Element Harrison in Summer of 2014, just five miles from Newark Liberty International Airport. Owned and developed by Harrison Hotel 1, an entity of Ironstate Holdings, LLC, a Hoboken, NJ-based developer, and managed by Crescent Hotels & Resorts, Element Harrison will join Element Ewing Princeton as the brand’s second hotel in New Jersey. Starwood’s trailblazing eco-wise Element(R) brand delivers a smart new lodging option for travelers with 138 guest rooms and suites built green from the ground up.

Element Harrison will typify the “balance” that Starwood’s Element brand offers to business and leisure travelers. Just minutes from Newark, Jersey City and lower Manhattan, Element Harrison will be walking distance to a variety of shops and restaurants and within proximity to Newark’s business district. Less than 30 minutes from Manhattan’s financial district, the hotel is located right at the NJ PATH Harrison train station and close to the Newark Penn Station and the Gateway Center. The hotel will also be ideally situated in the heart of a growing sports and entertainment hub, including the newly-opened 25,000 seat soccer stadium for the NY Red Bulls professional soccer team in Harrison, and the Prudential Center in Newark, which is home to the New Jersey Devils professional hockey team, college basketball, concerts, family shows and special events throughout the year.

“Element Harrison will provide a fresh, new update on lodging that will appeal to travelers to the bustling Newark metropolitan area,” said Brian McGuinness, Senior Vice President of Specialty Select Brands for Starwood. “The Element brand offers guests a bright, energizing environment that’s conducive to both work and play.”

The Element brand made history with its 2008 launch. It is the first major hotel brand to mandate that all properties pursue the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification for high-performance buildings. More than just a “green” hotel brand, however, Element offers travelers a sophisticated setting with stylish rooms designed for comfort. Every signature detail aims to fuel a life in balance and on the move. Element Harrison will feature all the brand’s signatures, including:

– Rise, Element’s hearty and healthy complimentary breakfast
    – Motion, a state-of-the-art, 24-hour fitness center
    – Indoor Pool
    – Relax, complimentary evening receptions
    – Restore, a gourmet food pantry
    – 1,500-square-feet of meeting space with modular furnishings, flexible layout and state-of-the-art technology that can be customized to meet and business or social needs
    – Dynamic gathering spaces, from a lobby flooded with natural light to a multi-storied window wall and from an outdoor fire pit, to water features and a barbecue
    – Light filled guest rooms with a fluid design of modular furniture, swiveling flat-screen televisions, large desks with open shelving, and custom-designed closets
    – The signature Heavenly(R) Bed
    – Spa-inspired bathrooms with an invigorating rain-shower and dual-flush toilet
    – Fully equipped kitchens featuring filtered water, ENERGY STAR-rated appliances and utensils to prepare a gourmet meal

“We’re very excited to introduce Element to Harrison and expect the brand’s fusion of style, personal wellbeing and sustainability will resonate with guests,” said James Ronga, Vice President of Ironstate Holdings, LLC. “Our location adjacent to the PATH Station and so close to Newark Liberty International Airport will also make Element Harrison a highly attractive choice for travelers on the go.”

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    Yeah - I noticed the digging/back filling/digging/back filling pattern too - it's crazy how they've done that so many times. But I can't say this is the first time I've seen this done on a gov't project. The contractor says there were "unforeseen circumstances" at the site and they bill the agency for more $$. The trick of these contractors is to win a contract by bidding low and then milking the system through change orders claiming "unforeseen circumstances"; they make a ton of money doing this and it seems to happen on most gov't contracts. It's a little game they play that most of the public seems to be unaware of (I heard from a neighbor who worked at the site that the demo contractor at the Deutsche Bank building in Lower Manhattan billed 3-4 times the original amount of the contract).
    Someone needs to go to prison. This also goes for the union heads!

Heller Urban Renewal Begins Wrecking Ball Process for Harrison Station Mixed-Use, Transit-Oriented Redevelopment

Heller Urban Renewal, the redevelopment arm of Heller Industrial Parks, today announced that it has begun the wrecking ball process for the development of Harrison Station, a mixed-use, transit-oriented redevelopment project in Harrison, N.J. In December, Heller received unanimous approval from the Harrison Redevelopment Agency to move forward with the total of 747 luxury rental units for the project.....

http://www.paramuspost.com/article.php/2012042519113999

Heller Starts Demolishing 750K SF Site in Harrison, NJ

Over the next year, the Heller team will demolish the 750,000 square feet of blighted industrial building at the 10.5-acre site.
    http://newyorkrealestate.citybizlist...rrison-NJ.aspx