Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Can they set it back to Ohio?
    lol

Cool Found this article. Good news for the area!

November 29, 2010
    NEW TRAINING SITE?
    Sources: Red Bulls hope to call Kearny home by 2012

By Michael Lewis
    BigAppleSoccer.com

Thierry Henry and his Red Bulls teammates could be training at a new facility by 2012.
    Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images

If everything goes according to plan, the Red Bulls could have a new state-of-the-art practice facility in Kearny, N.J. by 2012, according to sources close to the MLS team.

While the exact location in the historic soccer town is not known, it will allow Red Bulls players to practice close to Red Bull Arena in nearby Harrison.

One person with the knowledge of the practice site called it an "unbelievable state of the art" facility.

A team spokesman said the Red Bulls were looking at other options of having a practice ground close to the stadium, but that the club still had a lease for the Hanover, N.J. facility. The Red Bulls had hoped to move to a new facility in Hanover, but it has been met with many obstacles.

Red Bulls managing director Erik Stover was unavailable for comment.

Three former members of the U.S. National Team and World Cup team hail from Kearny -- goalkeeper Tony Meola and midfielder Tab Ramos and John Harkes.

For the past four years, the Red Bulls have trained at Montclair State University in Montclair, N.J. They invested in a new locker room, equipment room, training room, weight room, meeting room, player’s lounge, shower and bathroom facilities and coaches’ offices.

While that has been the best set-up in the MLS club's 15-year history, the Red Bulls have had to become nomads at Montclair State when their regular practice field wasn't ready, hard enough or water logged. Sometimes they were forced to practice on the school's artificial turf football field, other times on another grass field on the other side of the campus.

Prior to Montclair State, the Red Bulls and MetroStars never had a training facility they could call home. They practiced at several sites, including Giants Stadium, just outside of Giants Stadium, Kean University and in Rutherford, N.J.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/...ticle_id=26046

Good find, JCMAN! I read a few articles like this in the Fall, but I haven't read/heard anything definitive yet. I'm hoping this comes to fruition...I know they were looking at the 26-acre Hartz-Mountain site right by the toll booths off the Turnpike in South Kearny, but as long as they move closer to home, it will be good for Hudson County.

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    Good find, JCMAN! I read a few articles like this in the Fall, but I haven't read/heard anything definitive yet. I'm hoping this comes to fruition...I know they were looking at the 26-acre Hartz-Mountain site right by the toll booths off the Turnpike in South Kearny, but as long as they move closer to home, it will be good for Hudson County.
    You got that right bro. This would solidify the teams foothold and roots in Hudson County; really make them Hudson County's team! How have you been bro I haven't seen you around for a while now?

True that - hopefully by Spring we'll hear something more solid about the Red Bulls' training facility plans. (btw JCMAN - check your messages )

Here's a few more local updates from West Hudson County:
    -BASF plant in East Newark is completely gone
    -Remediation work on part of the Riverbend Phase II site is underway
    -Russo Developent recently broke ground in Kearny on a mixed-use project about the size of building I in Harrison Commons

According to reports, lending activity has gone through a dramatic turnaround and construction loans for multi-family buildings in the NYC region are beginning to flow. We may see quite a few groundbreakings within the next three months here in Harrison if LIC Hotels and Target strike a deal with Advance.

Default Groundreaking fall 2009,2010,2011?!!!

What? Blame 911? Rubbish. METROCENTRE was started post 911. The factories were demolished after 2004! Harrison lost direct Manhattan PATH service? What world are they in? PATH service to midtown was better..Sure the WTC line was out,but Harrison gained direct one seat ride to 33rd st. HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE FALL GROUNDBREAKING!!!!. I got a bad feeling Riverbend will end up a shopping center with a Target,Michaels,Panera Bread,TGIF and so on. Its now obvious advance will landbank untill they see how Harrison Commons does. This is why Riverbend plans to waste 2011 untill fall.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; January 28th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

While I don't think Target/TGIF/Michael's is a bad thing, I do think it would be a lot better to have residential development. Harrison is small, and big box isn't a bad thing, but it would be better if the town can maximize space with residential fill.

Its just disapointing to see what was once billed as a mini city or mini Hoboken diminish into box retail and possible surface lots. The rendering murals depicting urban streetlife and buildings themselves are gone

Default Riverbend Construction to Begin in Spring

In a press release dated November 12th, 2010, Advance claims it will begin construction on Riverbend in the spring of this year:

"Environmental remediation for the project’s first phase, consisting of approximately 26 acres, has been completed, and all the roadwork and infrastructure for the site is in place. Building construction will begin in spring 2011."

Link: http://www.advancerealtygroup.com/do...px?prmprid=156

Keep in mind that they've already pressured the town of Harrison into getting environmental remediation going at the Phase II site across the street; the Southwest corner of Harrison is now active with equipment from a remediation contractor.

According to the mayor, Target has been in discussions with Advance about serving as an anchor tenant, but I think (and would hope) that the retail building would be constructed in the style of the Home Depot near the Holland Tunnel entrance in Jersey City, with a parking deck incorporated into the building structure.

Target is trying to develop an urban store format as part of its growth strategy anyway...maybe a Target in Harrison would be a pilot for the new format.

Only time will tell...peak season for groundbreakings occurs in the 3-month span from mid-March to mid-June.
    Last edited by West Hudson; January 28th, 2011 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Its just disapointing to see what was once billed as a mini city or mini Hoboken diminish into box retail and possible surface lots. The rendering murals depicting urban streetlife and buildings themselves are gone
    None of this is remotely true.

The site plan hasn't even been entirely approved. They couldn't have broken ground if they wanted to.

There are no big box retail or surface lots planned.

Newarkguy is just mad it isnt in Newark.

Quote Originally Posted by jcman320 View Post
    newarkguy is just mad it isnt in newark.
    lol !!

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    They couldn't have broken ground if they wanted to.

There are no big box retail or surface lots planned.
    ASchwarz wrote..."None of this is remotely true."REALLY? I made up Target? Oh.....Im sorry...Was it me who first mentioned Target? SURVEY SAYS.....(suspense drum sound)... NO!(false studio audience applause soundtrack) Is Target a BIG BOX Retailer?.....again Yes! (applause track) No, really ...."The site plan hasn't even been entirely approved. " What? after all these years? Isn't that a bad sign? weren't they building in "phases"? BUILD SOMETHING!! Harrison is part of Greater Newark, but not the city proper.(greater newark historically refers to the former areas of Newark, now suburbs). I said "POSSIBLY SURFACE LOTS" I never said it was definite.

"Big Box" is a term that originated by the type of building construction, a large stand alone single-tenant and single-use building. There are plenty of "big box" type retailers making their way into urban areas in all cities. A Target store doesn't necessarily mean it will be surrounded by parking lots. There are plenty of examples of urban-type retailers and grocery stores, I can think of a few particulars in Boston and New York. The Target is likely going to replace the mega-plex movie theatre (which is a dying breed).

Also there is zero chance of surface lots. The developers would have already cashed in on the Red Bulls parking, plus the land is not flat. After site cleanup the parcels were not filled in to street level. They're foundation ready, which actually will help to speed up construction.