Page 52 of 114 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

It's intentional, it's done for drainage purposes. Each low point has a storm sewer. The pic is somewhat deceiving, if you count the parking spaces in between each apex there are 5, which is 100 feet.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I was wondering about that, thanks.

Harrison Heights Site

I found some old information on the web on the Harrison Heights Site. Apparently, the original plan was to build 70 residential units consisting of two and three bedrooms, and a total of 82 parking spaces. I don't know if this is still the plan or if the plan has changed. Also, I don't know whether the units will be rental or condo/townhouse. As Tbal wrote above, a great deal of remedial work had to be done on the site. http://www.menardusa.com/Harrison%20Heights%20FINAL.pdf

Default Second Floor Starts Going Up at Element, Riverpark Foundation Excavation Begins

The first batch of 2nd Floor walls started going up today at the Element, complete with windows already installed and facade already attached (note: the black/white that you see in the first photo below is actually the facade design). I have no idea how they're going to seal the joints in the facade between all the panels, but I hope they don't ruin the appearance of it. One thing I noticed is that they did change the design slightly, maybe to give it more of a sense of verticality along FER Boulevard (I'm glad they did this - the original design called for all the windows to be the same with equal spacing between - looked sorta boring):

At Riverpark, work started on excavating the perimeter foundation area for 301 Dey Street. It looks like we should be seeing rebar and forms for concrete work at some point next week.

And lastly, the construction management trailer at 300 Middlesex in Harrison Commons was relocated today to an area outside the footprint of the proposed building. Perhaps we'll see piling start at the end of this month or beginning of August.
    Last edited by West Hudson; July 2nd, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

Default Final Design for Element?

I stumbled across a Sketchup model that appears to be the final design (or close to it, with the exception of the retail area, which looks a little off) of the Element hotel (courtesy of Baldemar Balderas). It matches all of the structural work for the first/second level so far, as well as the updated window pattern seen on the second floor that has been going up over the past few days. I've got to say I'm glad they varied the sizing of and spacing between the windows (the only thing I didn't like about the original design - I like the new 'wave' effect created) and the fact that they shrunk down the size of the one-story section at the connection to the future building 2b, but I'm a little disappointed that some of the nicer elements toward the main entrance were taken out or watered down, and although bubble windows will still be part of the design, some of them have been shrunken down and the configuration doesn't look as nice as the original IMO:

Corner of FER Blvd & Somerset Street:

Looking northwest from above the PATH station:

Main entrance area on Somerset Street:

Somerset Street side:

Garage side:
    Last edited by West Hudson; July 4th, 2013 at 01:56 AM.

Default New Proposal for Former RCA Site

The plan outlined below includes a pair of 5-story loft buildings and a 5-level parking deck on a site that is North of I-280 and east of Frank Rodgers Boulevard; the garage would be built on a lot that is next to the Advance Auto Parts store. (article courtesy of The Kearny Observer: http://www.theobserver.com/).

From pet supplies to loft apartments

July 10th, 2013 admin No Comments ╗
    Photos courtesy BRG Harrison Lofts Urban Renewal
    Renderings of the loft apartment complex proposed for the Vo-Toys property in Harrison.

By Ron Leir
    Observer Correspondent
    HARRISON –
    For six decades, the Voy- Toys company has made and distributed wholesale pet shop supplies from its Harrison headquarters.

But now it looks like the three mammoth structures in the 400 block of S. Fifth St. that has catered to the production of leashes, collars, catnips, rubber dog toys, rawhide dog chews and the like will give way to lodgings for human occupants.

On June 18, the Harrison Planning Board, meeting in special session, voted to grant approvals to Berkenkamp Realty Group Harrison Lofts Urban Renewal, of Millburn, to convert the factory/warehouse complex into multi-family residential rental apartments and a parking garage.

This project would be the latest in a series of private redevelopment ventures springing up in this West Hudson community, mostly off the Passaic River waterfront, although this newest proposal is situated in what the town has designated as the “RCA Redevelopment Area.”

The target site was originally occupied by Edison Lamp Works, then redeveloped by General Election and occupied for many years in the early 20th century by the Radio Corporation of America for the production of radio vacuum tubes, before Vo-Toys came along.
    Details on possible environmental remediation measures weren’t readily available.

How soon the conversion will happen isn’t yet clear since the buildings are still being used by Vo-Toys which is reportedly continuing to search for new quarters.

A year ago, the Planning Board recommended designation of the 2.5-acre site – bounded by Sussex St. to the north, Bergen St. to the south, Sixth St. to the east and Fifth St. to the west – as an “area in need of redevelopment” and the town’s governing body concurred, adopting a conceptual redevelopment plan in September 2012 calling for the creation of loft-style apartments within the existing three-story shells of each building plus two additional floors to be built above two buildings and one extra floor above the third.

As required by the Harrison Redevelopment Agency, all new floors being added to the warehouse footprint “must be set back a minimum of six feet from the existing building fašade.” The HRA gave the project its blessing on April 30.

The residential complex would house 294 apartments: 48 studios, 218 one-bedrooms, and 28 two-bedroom units would be spread among the three buildings. Sections of each building would be demolished to make room for a landscaped interior courtyard and common areas including a fitness center and lounge for tenants.

The developer would provide on-site parking for 333 spaces, of which 263 would be contained in a five-level garage to be built in a lot south of Bergen St. and west of Fifth St., with the remaining 70 spaces to be contained as part of one of the three buildings.

New public sidewalks and curbs, supplementary street lighting, street trees and planters are also part of the overall design.
    No retail space is planned.

Total cost of the building and site improvements and material costs for masonry, metal studs and fiber cement paneling, is projected at $50 million.

Vo-Toys President Arthur Hirschberg (VIP Realty Associates) has filed no objections to the project, according to documents on file with the town Construction Office.

Thomas A. Berkenkamp, founder and president of Berkenkamp Realty Group, has a master’s degree in architecture from Harvard University, supplemented by studies in general business and real estate finance at Harvard Business School and Law School and MIT’s Sloan School of Management. He is an adjunct professor at NYU’s Schack School of Real Estate.

According to the Mortgage Bankers Association of New York website, BRG “is actively involved in the development of multi-family residential properties and the acquisition and restructuring of distressed debt. He has been continually involved in real estate since 1981 [dealing with] apartments, condominiums, office, retail, parking garages, mixed-use and hotels.”

Berkenkamp previously served as COO of Pinnacle Companies, a Montclair firm that invested in “more than 20 projects comprising more than 2,000 residential units and 100,000 square feet of commercial space with an aggregate value of more than $1.5 billion.”

Anyone know what they're doing between the LAZ garage and the train tracks? Some heavy equipment has made an entrance ramp into this sliver of land from the west side. New station work?

It is nice to see the construction progress on the Element Hotel and Riverpark Phase II. This is the good redevelopment news. It seems that construction has stopped at the Russo Development Site. Does anyone have any news on the Russo Development Site ? I recall reading on this site that construction was to be this summer ( or perhaps Fall) on the second Harrison Station Apartment Building. Does anyone have any news on this project ? I guess that we will see some construction on the 700 Frank Rogers Blvd site in 2014 ? I think that I read that it would take all of 2013 to complete preliminary work on this site.

Default Pile Driver from Russo Site Heading to Harrison Commons?

The pile driver that has been sitting at the Russo site for the past month was finally disassembled today. I've been under the impression that Linde-Griffith was keeping it at the site until the Building 3 site at Harrison Commons was ready to receive it. I guess we'll know in a week, but it would make sense based on the activity at the Harrison Commons site that construction would be getting underway soon (besides, developers generally want to have their buildings ready for the peak of the rental season in the summer and this building should take about 11 months to build; it was in the first week of August 2010 that the first Harrison Commons building started construction).

In other news, Sakura finally grand-opened last Friday (forgot to post about it) and has special deals going on to celebrate.

Gave Sakura a try the other day..Sushi was good, although portion sizes were on the small size for the price. I think I will be sticking with Tendo Sushi, Quality is just as good but you get more for your money

Is it me or has the work on the open ex-parking lot by Angelo Cifelli street come to a stop? Also, the work that the MTA started for the PATH, fenced off from the ongoing demolition of the new complex, has also had no activity for several weeks.

I also tried Sakura, they had the chicken teriyaki special that I believe ended already, not bad but I wouldn't pay regular price.

-----JT-----

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    Is it me or has the work on the open ex-parking lot by Angelo Cifelli street come to a stop? Also, the work that the MTA started for the PATH, fenced off from the ongoing demolition of the new complex, has also had no activity for several weeks.

I also tried Sakura, they had the chicken teriyaki special that I believe ended already, not bad but I wouldn't pay regular price.

-----JT-----
    The PA owns the PATH not the MTA...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    The PA owns the PATH not the MTA...
    Sorry that's correct the PA...still I see now progress. They fenced it off, have some concrete barriers, spread a little stone and that's it for the last month or so. At this pace it will be a 10 year project!

-----JT-----

Well,just look how long it took just to redo the entrance by Element.

New PATH Station Groundbreaking

I just saw on a TV Bulletin that the ground breaking for the new Harrison PATH Station will be on Friday, August 16 at 11:00 AM. Attending will be Governor Chris Christie,the Mayor and a host of other officials I presume. The public is invited. Since I am retired, I may attend.