Page 54 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

I totally agree - the renderings show a pretty sizable public plaza where they might have some good seating & possibly even events. Can't wait til they actually start moving on this project! I really hope they start Harrison Commons' Building 3 soon though - that's basically the last missing piece in the puzzle. I can see the rest of the surrounding area growing organically from there once we have at least one contiguous streetscape completed (although I'm really hoping the town moves to condemn the Delta gas station between Building 3 & the overpass this year - would be really awesome to have that area filled in with one last building & retail).

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    "I was refering to the Heller site (just north of the PATH station), not the Russo site . Just today some more raw materials were added to the Heller site and crushed stone was spread for a temporary driveway at it's entrance. Only time will tell what's going to happen there."

Tbal, I must have been having a senior moment, LOL
    Hehe...you may not have said it right, but I knew what you meant ;-)

Default BRG Gets Long-Term Tax Abatement for Lofts Project

At a special meeting of the Harrison town council on September 12th, BR Group was awarded a long-term tax abatement for its loft conversion of the former RCA plant in Harrison (I'm assuming it's a 30-year deal, but couldn't find the timeframe specified anywhere in the agenda). You can read about the project in this article from the Kearny Observer (from a few months ago): http://www.theobserver.com/?p=16065

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I thought Harrison was broke(?)

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I thought Harrison was broke(?)
    That's the misconception with tax abatements. Harrison will probably make more money by offering the abatement. Under the normal tax structure schools get round 50% of the taxes, the town gets around 25% and the county gets 25%. Under an abatement the town usually gets 95% of the Payment in Lieu of Taxes (the abatement), the county gets 5% and the schools get nothing. Since the abatement is not going to be 75% off the normal taxes the town is likely making a lot more by cutting out the county and the schools.

That should work great.

It actually should work out pretty well in practice. As far as I am aware, not a single neighbor of mine in Riverpark has a school age child. From what I know about Harrison Bridge Plaza, the same is true and many of the units are being rented to students of NJIT/Rutgers/etc. And as for Harrison Commons, what I've seen is mostly people in their 20's going in/out of the building. No kids. The redevelopment association is trying to market the units in the new developments to young unmarried professionals (hence the wacky design for the Element and edgy design of Building 3 in Harrison Commons); the price tier that the units fall into is perfectly inline with this concept.

As far as the county not getting that much tax revenue is concerned, the town of Harrison has barely gotten a dime back from the county over the past five years at least. Most of the county money is going to places like West New York, Jersey City, and Hoboken (Harrison is in Hudson County).
    Last edited by West Hudson; September 19th, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Tbal, do you have a picture of what Building 3 of Harrison Commons will look like ? I do not believe I have seen a sketch yet.

You are correct about discouraging children. The Town of Harrison would not allow the original Riverpark Buildings to have three bedrooms because they wanted to discourage children who cost a great deal of taxes to educate. Instead the larger Riverpark Units have instead of a third bedroom a loft area. Three units close to mine at Riverpark have children, but I suspect these families may move to houses when the children get older.

Unfortunately, this is all that's been released so far as far as I know (I can't wait to see what the overall design is going to look like & how it will fit in):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harrison Commons Building 3.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	17641

Edit: For what it's worth, I noticed the Harrison Heights lot was partially weed-wacked a few days ago. Several months ago I posted that several new survey markers had popped up on the site, and of course all of the piling & most of the underground utility work was completed in 2008. I'm wondering if they are finally on the brink of re-starting this project...I guess we should know soon (note: the Harrison Heights site is about midway between Riverpark & Harrison Commons).
    Last edited by West Hudson; September 21st, 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Dennis: That is incredibly short sighted on their part as children, and families, are always looking for the perfect neighborhood and USUALLY have more money to spend on a place than a 20-something with a roommate.

The most expensive places to live in NJ are:

-Old developments (architecture)
    -Good Schools
    -Long time residents
    -Respectable downtown areas (Ridgewood, Montclair)

The 2 or less bedroom scheme is very short sighted.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

More $ to spend does not appear to translate into an adequate tax base for additional schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Dennis: That is incredibly short sighted on their part as children, and families, are always looking for the perfect neighborhood and USUALLY have more money to spend on a place than a 20-something with a roommate.

The most expensive places to live in NJ are:

-Old developments (architecture)
    -Good Schools
    -Long time residents
    -Respectable downtown areas (Ridgewood, Montclair)

The 2 or less bedroom scheme is very short sighted.
    This is not shortsighted on the part of towns. In 2012, it cost an average of nearly $17,000 to educate a child in New Jersey. Who would want to build housing that encourages families with children to move into any town ?

Harrison is looking for the young professionals and couples (they are pouring into cities, unlike larger established families) who have money but only need a starter apartment. They provide massive amounts of tax revenue without affecting the schools and use the PATH station. While I like the site planning on it, I hope that it will have a final design which complements the Phase 1 buildings.

You're exactly right towerpower - Harrison is intentionally going for the younger crowd. The reason for this is that, besides the town's goal of avoiding crowding in our public schools, people who can afford nice apartments in Jersey City or Hoboken simply aren't going to live here (with the exception of the small but growing market segment that works in the suburbs but wants easy access to Manhattan). The units in Harrison are much cheaper than comparables in JC and Hoboken, and younger folks are much more willing to be pioneers in an edgy area while older folks generally favor more established areas.

Tbal, any information on when ground will be broken for Harrison Station Building 3 ? The last thing I read stated that building would start in late summer, early fall, although as we know these building starts are often delayed. I wonder if there is any news on the Russo Site ?

Good question. Building 3 was actually on tonight's council agenda for acceptance of a easement on S. Third Street by the town (a condition of approval of the site plan). They may very well have it on hold if they are applying for the new tax credits from the state though, but I guess we'll find out soon (one of the guys on the Riverpark condo association board - Eric - is also on the town Planning Board, so he may very well have the inside scoop...).