Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I don't consider Harrison part of greater Newark. It's across a river. (Maybe I'm crazy.)

It's definitely considered part of greater Newark, but I think you're right... it feels a bit more isolated because it only connects via two bridges. And its waterfront is for the most part, disconnected from the rest of the city because it was cluttered with industry. Maybe thats gonna change in the next few years.

Default latest update from harrison commons

more past update from here

Brick exterior of the building is now visible partially.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	12066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	12067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	12068  

Quote Originally Posted by arcman210 View Post
    "Big Box" is a term that originated by the type of building construction, a large stand alone single-tenant and single-use building. There are plenty of "big box" type retailers making their way into urban areas in all cities. A Target store doesn't necessarily mean it will be surrounded by parking lots. There are plenty of examples of urban-type retailers and grocery stores, I can think of a few particulars in Boston and New York. The Target is likely going to replace the mega-plex movie theatre (which is a dying breed).

Also there is zero chance of surface lots. The developers would have already cashed in on the Red Bulls parking, plus the land is not flat. After site cleanup the parcels were not filled in to street level. They're foundation ready, which actually will help to speed up construction.
    There are definitely urban versions of 'big box', but Harrison definitely has the space on the waterfront to make a traditional big box (the good thing is, this large-scale residential development seems well-planned, so I don't think there'll be the usual Vanillamerica Anywhere, USA stuff)

But a quick question: if they are unable to get the funds together they'll leave the undeveloped areas undeveloped? (I've always thought of surface lots as a short-term ((often-abused)) band-aid for long-term growth/development.

along with all the residential housing being built,harrison really needs entertainment places to be built,movie theater was a good idea but maybe one on a smaller scale would work also,such a dead town wit nothing to do{sorry for the bad spelling}

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

They're going to need a grocery store and deli for these new apartments.

Forum Veteran

I heard there planning on restoring the Harrison Station on the Morristown line to provide relief for the 10000s of New Harrison PATH station users....any news on that? It shouldn't be that hard , the stairs and station area are still intact... It would mostly serve the old Harrison area.....
    Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; January 30th, 2011 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prelude4 View Post
    more past update from here

Brick exterior of the building is now visible partially.
    Fcuk man where is the development in newark?

Default Morris-Essex Line Station

Nexis, that's something I've been wondering about too (this would shave about 15 mins off my commute so I'm particularly interested in this; I almost couldn't believe there was an abandoned station there when I moved here, given the nationwide push for rail access)...I asked the mayor at a campaign event back in September and all he could tell me was that it is something that is being considered and the concept will need to be studied once more folks move into town.

But you're right, most of the structure is up and intact at the moment; perhaps NJ Transit would just need to do some resurfacing and install new handrails/fencing to bring it up to code...

btw - one thing that surprised me recently is where the new I-280 interchange is slated to be constructed (east of the stadium)...this could be great for residents, but I'm wondering how it will affect restaurants/bars in the area that were doing good business on game days (although there still are plenty of people coming in on the Morris-Essex line and passing down Harrison Ave & FER Blvd).

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    Nexis, that's something I've been wondering about too (this would shave about 15 mins off my commute so I'm particularly interested in this; I almost couldn't believe there was an abandoned station there when I moved here, given the nationwide push for rail access)...I asked the mayor at a campaign event back in September and all he could tell me was that it is something that is being considered and the concept will need to be studied once more folks move into town.

But you're right, most of the structure is up and intact at the moment; perhaps NJ Transit would just need to do some resurfacing and install new handrails/fencing to bring it up to code...

btw - one thing that surprised me recently is where the new I-280 interchange is slated to be constructed (east of the stadium)...this could be great for residents, but I'm wondering how it will affect restaurants/bars in the area that were doing good business on game days (although there still are plenty of people coming in on the Morris-Essex line and passing down Harrison Ave & FER Blvd).
    The Station would be High Level platforms either with a ramp or Elevator connection. They'll probably have to extend the 3rd Track further to accommodate the station. Meaning 2 New Bridges and New Catenary. As for the New I-280 Interchange ppl ikno who work for the PATH and Amtrak say its unlikely to get built due to land constraints... The Current Harrison Exit might be upgraded and overhauled though.

Major League Soccer announces 2011 All-Star Game will be played at Red Bull Arena in Harrison
    BY Filip Bondy
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 4:49 PM
    Updated: Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 9:14 PM

The MLS All-Stars will host a top European side at Red Bull Arena in Harrison.
    Major League Soccer announced Tuesday it will hold its 2011 All-Star Game this summer at Red Bull Arena, the quaint bandbox in Harrison.
    Commissioner Don Garber said that by staging the July 27 game at the small stadium, rather than at New Meadowlands Stadium, the league would be "providing enormous profile" to the Red Bulls' home.
    Red Bull Arena seats 25,000, while New Meadowlands Stadium has a capacity of about 82,000. Last year, the match between MLS All-Stars and Manchester United sold more than 70,000 tickets in Toronto.
    The format of the game - the MLS All-Stars against a top European side - has proved tremendously successful in recent years. The league will announce an opponent within 30 days, with prestigious Barcelona being one of the teams likely considered.
    "We take (the match) very seriously," said Landon Donovan, the Galaxy and U.S. national team star who has played in nine MLS All-Star games. "We're still growing our brand. Every opportunity we have to showcase ourselves is important."
    In another local matter, Garber restated his desire to add a second New York area team as the league's 20th franchise. MLS has been negotiating with several groups, including the restructured Cosmos ownership combine.
    "We're very focused on it," Garber said.
    Tentative plans to build a new soccer-specific stadium in cooperation with Met ownership, however, may have taken a hit recently due to the Wilpons' latest financial setbacks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...ull_arena.html

Forum Veteran

Some pictures i took today...

DSCN0417 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN0416 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN0415 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN0421 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN0420 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN0423 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

DSCN0415 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
    I hope those buildings in the background are kept and retrofitted into apartments.

Progress is great, nice pics.

Default Site East of Harrison Commons

arcman: Heller Industrial Properties owns the complex across FER from Harrison Commons (I believe it was previously under the control of Hartz-Mountain). They're supposed to demolish the structure after the initial environmental surveying and remediation is complete (currently in process). The vision is for several new city blocks utilizing a Hoboken/Jersey City -esque architectural style. There's a snippet on their relatively new business segment at the link below, but it does not mention Harrison in particular (even though all the pictures displayed are related to Harrison's redevelopment).

http://www.hellerpark.com/Real_Estate_Development.htm

Default Themed Barriers/Harrison Commons Reaches 4 Stories

At tonight's city council meeting, an agreement for the town to install and maintain themed pedestrian barriers (of which a sample was constructed back in the Fall) along FER Blvd was approved. The barriers will stretch from about 25 feet from the south entrance of the PATH station to Cape May Drive (about 2,000 feet, both sides).

Also, the frontage for the fourth floor of the east building at Harrison Commons went up over the past two days along FER Blvd...I'll get some photos this weekend if someone else doesn't.

Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast