Page 60 of 114 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Default Harrison PATH Station

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
    That's it. The vote to approve the train station project was corrupt. It is only a matter of time before Christie cancels the whole thing, just like with the ARC tunnel. Gotta love NJ politics...

Let's be optimistic and hope that the new PATH Station which is needed is built on schedule and on budget.

The more they progress with the PATH work the less likely it will be cancelled. The town really needs it and with all the other projects that got approved because of the new PATH station, I doubt they will now pull back.

-----JT-----

Harrison Path Station- Latest from the Star Ledger

The Plot thickens...

Christie's brother profited from sale of Harrison homes near Port Authority project, report says

Jeff Goldman/The Star-Ledger By Jeff Goldman/The Star-Ledger

Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on January 29, 2014 at 8:04 AM, updated January 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM

HARRISON — Gov. Chris Christie's brother was part of a group that bought properties near the Harrison PATH station before a $256 million renovation of the facility was publicly approved, according to a report on NorthJersey.com.
    Todd Christie and his partners then renovated and flipped the lots for almost triple their purchase price after the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey gave its OK to the project, the report said.
    One of Todd Christie's partners in West Hudson Properties LLC owns Ferreira Construction, which has gotten "tens of millions of dollars" in work from state agencies since the governor took office in 2010, NorthJersey.com reported.
    Port Authority chairman David Samson has also been linked to land around the PATH station. Sampson's law firm, Wolf & Samson, has a client that wants to build luxury apartments where a warehouse stands.
    Commissioner David Steiner also voted for renovation, four months after he purchased the rights to build an apartment complex on land along the Passaic River, just blocks from the train station.
    The renovated PATH station is slated to open in 2017. Chris Christie has been a major proponent of building up the Hudson County town.

Default Construction Update

Here's a quick update on the Element, 1100 South Fifth, and 300 & 301 Dey Street.

Vermella Harrison (first columns are going up; not much work was completed last week unfortunately because of the two storms we had):

Element (you can see the gaps have been sealed, and the retail glass is all in):

300 Dey Street (transfer slab is complete as of Friday):

301 Dey Street (most windows are in, facade is going up):

...and fresh markings have showed up all around the 300 Middlesex/Harrison Commons Building 3 site (a survey crew was there on Sat):

Last edited by West Hudson; August 13th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.

Unhappy Very Sad RIP

Harrison Mayor Raymond McDonough dies after suffering massive heart attack at Town Hall

By The Jersey Journal
    on February 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM, updated February 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Harrison Mayor Raymond McDonough, who is running for reelection, sits at his desk on election day in Town Hall Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010. Doug Bauman/The Jersey Journal

Harrison Mayor Raymond McDonough has died after suffering a massive heart attack at his Town Hall office, county Freeholder Al Cifelli has confirmed.

Town officials are in shock, according to a number of Hudson County officials. The municipal building was closed for the Lincoln holiday but McDonough met with town officials this morning and they then went to lunch, according to Paul Swibinski, founder of Vision Media, a media and consulting firm, which has the pulse of the Hudson County Democratic Party. The mayor went back to his Town Hall office and collapsed, said Swibinski.

A lifelong Harrison resident, McDonough was first elected mayor in 1995 after serving for 17 years on the Town Council.

A Democrat, McDonough recently made headlines by supporting Republican Gov. Chris Christie for re-election. He continued to support him after news of the so-called Bridgegate scandal broke.

McDonough told The Jersey Journal last month that he reached out to Christie's office before endorsing him last January, not the other way around. And he expressed doubt Christie would even consider strong-arming him to get his support.

"What? For 3,000 votes?" McDonough said.

The mayor said he opted to support Christie over Buono because Christie's administration came through on promises to build a new PATH station in Harrison.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...incart_m-rpt-1

Rest in peace, Mayor McDonough. You have left a legacy of a rapidly redeveloping and thriving Harrison that is becoming one of only a few examples of a post-industrial city becoming a modern place to live, work, and play. Hopefully your successor will carry on your legacy.

Construction updates from yesterday. All of the images are on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/

Still no stores here.

After being just a foundation wall for a year, this wooden structure just shot up to greet the city.

Two new Bayonne Boxes next to the Harrison Community Center/Senior Center. They have not caught onto the new planning and zoning measures that Newark has created for these, although the actual bay windows with huge openings are a start.

Just down the block, what every Bayonne Box wishes it could be.

Harrison Commons' next building's site was completely snow covered which obscured any view of the piling progress.

It looks better with some plaster on the cracks between the panels, but it still needs more. That could be a perfect white-washed minimalist surface with a little more care and craft.

The storefront windows are perfectly visible.

It has come back to life!

This site is massive!

I just barely caught the back end of Amtrak's brand new "Cities Sprinter." There is the only one currently in use on revenue routes.

A New Jersey Transit EMU

Yes, those are signs of piles for the platform extension. There doesn't appear to be any other visible work.

An uncommon diesel train for one of the non-electrified surburban routes.

4 trains in one photo. The fourth is rounding the bend just to the left of the brick warehouse.

Second Acela in 20 minutes.

Again, all of the images are on my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/

Post R.I.P. Mayor Raymond McDonough

Thanks for posting the article, JCMan. Very sad day indeed for the town of Harrison. McDonough was a man who dedicated himself to doing everything possible to make Harrison a better place to live, from getting better recreation facilities built, to making sure the Red Bulls paid their fair share in taxes, to fostering a lower crime rate and, more than anything else, ushering in the grandest period of development in the town's history since some of the largest corporations in America began calling Harrison home in the first half of the 20th century. He lived his whole life in Harrison and started out in his adult life as a plumber before joining the city council and eventually becoming mayor. That background made him a rarity in politics and gave a voice to the people of this mostly blue-collar town when it came to discussions with the county.

I remember driving past Harrison on I-280 as a kid and thinking what a decrepit, run-down post-industrial wasteland it was. Having McDonough as mayor was possibly the greatest thing that could've happened to this town with his dream of turning Harrison into the next "big" small town in the NYC Metro. He will be greatly missed - may he rest in peace.
    Last edited by West Hudson; February 13th, 2014 at 02:37 AM.

Unhappy

Rest in Peace, Mr. Mayor. He was a class act.

In an article on NJBIZ.com they mentioned that he championed a med clinic to start construction in March. Does anyone know the site?

http://www.njbiz.com/article/2014021...-redevelopment

The town also credited McDonough with creating a partnership with the Hudson Community Action Corp. to create a medical clinic for its uninsured residents. Construction is scheduled to begin in March, the town said.

That sucks the mayor died before his vision of Harrison could be realized. It's been awhile but from what you guys post here it seems like the 'new and modern' Harrison is taking shape (it's not like they completely stopped pushing for it though).

From towpow's pics: I thought Harrison put the brakes on Bayonne boxes?

Just in the redevelopment area south of I-280. But there are alot of older homes being purchased to be demolished & replaced by two-fam homes.

Someone plowed paths in the snow in the Harrison Station/Heller development site. It could mean that work on that will restart very soon. Personally, I prefer that one to the one across the street based on the posted renders.

Nah, they're just continuing environmental testing there and needed to plow to give the crews access.

Also while on the topic of environmental stuff, an excavator was delivered to the Harrison Commons Building 3 site yesterday, so it appears that they'll be doing the same type of cleanup effort on the north side of the site that they did last Summer on the south side. I guess it will be several more months before construction actually starts on the building...maybe Summer or Fall (?).

Good news...yesterday I drove by FER Blvd and saw that the little Vicente's bakery finally opened up. Looks nice inside. Maybe I'll stop by this Sunday to try it out...I'll post an update.

-----JT-----

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    Good news...yesterday I drove by FER Blvd and saw that the little Vicente's bakery finally opened up. Looks nice inside. Maybe I'll stop by this Sunday to try it out...I'll post an update.

-----JT-----
    Wheres the Bakery located?

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post

-----JT-----
    It's about time! Last thing I heard from them was they were supposed to open for Thanksgiving weekend last year...but better late than never I guess. I might stop by there tomorrow to check the place out.