Page 62 of 114 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Dennis, I definitely agree with you about the buildings being too close together (and this concern has been voiced by a few members of the association so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lawsuit brewing...although I hope the association doesn't sponsor it). Luckily the unit I own at Riverpark isn't one of those...

As for the paneling, it's actually been quite popular over the past few years in urban architecture, and you'll see the same stuff on buildings in Hoboken, Jersey City, Brooklyn, and the first Harrison Commons building (it's actually wood composite, not vinyl, btw...impact-resistant, waterproof, and shapable). I actually really like the way the buildings are coming out - I was really not a fan of the renderings Roseland presented to us back in March 2012. The color scheme, design, etc. I feel complement our buildings very well and are on par with what you'd see in more established neighborhoods in JC & Hoboken (they are certainly not "identical" to our buildings, as Carl Goldberg stated at the presentation, but I feel like variety will make the area feel more like a neighborhood/district rather than a cookie-cutter mass production).

btw - work started today on Harrison Commons Building 3 with a few dozen trucks delivering fill to raise the foundation level of the site & heavy equipment in action leveling & compacting (as was done for the new Riverpark buildings), so we should be just around the corner from piling/foundation work. Photos to follow this weekend...

also btw - the below article states that BNE is planning a total of 1,200 residences at Riverpark. That would mean about 8 more buildings, unless they decide to go mid-rise (which I'd be surprised if they don't) toward the south end of the site. I did see that a backhoe was at the front of the GeoChem site today, so hopefully they start demo soon. I could see a pair of buildings with the same design, either 4 or 5 stories in the next phase.

Link: http://thealternativepress.com/artic...six-prestigiou
    Last edited by West Hudson; April 1st, 2014 at 11:19 PM.

Forum Veteran

some Harrison pictures from yesterday

I attended the RiverPark Annual Meeting held on April 1, 2014. A representative of the builder of RiverPark Buildings 3 and 4 attended the meeting. The representative of the builder stated that negotiations with the GeoChem we're going. he stated that the negotiations were going well, and the builder hoped that the negotiations to purchase the property would be completed soon.

I spoke to the representative after the meeting and asked him if rental or condo/townhouse units would be built during the first phase of building on the GeoChem Site. He stated that it would be highly likely that the units would be rental units. This is rather disappointing. I would like to see more units built in town that are owned by the occupants.

I missed that meeting due to other obligations. Did they give any sort of estimated timetable for the land purchase & construction of buildings 5 & 6? There is that backhoe parked at the front of the GeoChem site (presumably for soil testing), but I don't know if they've used it this past week.

Default RiverPark Annual Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    I missed that meeting due to other obligations. Did they give any sort of estimated timetable for the land purchase & construction of buildings 5 & 6? There is that backhoe parked at the front of the GeoChem site (presumably for soil testing), but I don't know if they've used it this past week.
    tbal, there was little discussion of the construction plans for buildings 5 & 6. This disappointed me. The hot topic of the evening was a discussion of the dog poop problem and whether we can do DNA Testing. I presume that they want to obtain the DNA of the dogs, and not the owners, LOL.

Surprisingly, there was virtually no discussion of the construction of buildings 3 and 4 which surprised me. Some owners were disappointed that the pool was not going to be ready for the Summer of 2014, but this in my opinion was not a realistic expectation based on the Winter we had and how it hindered construction of buildings 3 and 4.

The builder's representative, who seemed like a nice guy, gave the clear impression that his company wanted to move sooner rather than later on obtaining ownership of the chemical property land. I think that they want to tear the plant down and address any environmental issues ASAP.

The new board was elected, but will not take formal control until the Department of Community Affairs approves amendments to the original plan submitted by the builder. Our lawyers and the builder's lawyers agreed that it made sense for the builder to submit the amendments because this would greatly expedite the process. We have strong personalities on the board and I expect real clashes. If the vote had been conducted on an individual basis for each board position, I would have voted against one of the nominees.

Hampshire, CrownPoint unveil plans for Harrison apartment project

By Joshua Burd
    April 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The Hampshire Cos. and CrownPoint Group will soon break ground on a 104-unit apartment complex in Harrison, joining the long-running effort to turn the town's industrial waterfront into a rail-served urban community.

The Morristown-based developers announced plans for the 122,000-square-foot project in a news release Monday. Construction for the complex, which will feature two four-story buildings on Bergen Street, is expected to begin sometime this quarter.

They will be among the latest New Jersey developers to commit to Harrison, which has long sought to redevelop 250 acres of mostly blighted industrial buildings. The area shares a border with Newark along the Passaic River and has its own rail stop on the PATH line to Manhattan, drawing longstanding interest from several builders.

And despite several delays over 15 years, the interest has translated into a handful of new projects and active construction. In recent years, some of the rundown warehouses have slowly been replaced by new residential and commercial complexes, visible from the PATH line.

The activity was due in large part to former Mayor Raymond McDonough who died suddenly in February after 20 years in office. He was widely credited as the visionary for the redevelopment effort.

In a prepared statement, Norman Feinstein of Hampshire said the company's interest comes from the recent success of other projects and the $72 million upgrade of the PATH station, which was started last summer by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

"After evaluating the positive activity within the waterfront and aligning ourselves with a joint venture partner that specializes in urban development, we felt that it was the right time to invest in the revitalization of Harrison by providing improved residential offerings to meet the needs of the town's anticipated growth," said Feinstein, a vice chairman with the firm.

Feinberg & Associates P.C., a Voorhees-based architecture firm, has designed the project. Plans call for a fitness center, a rooftop deck and other amenities, according to Hampshire's news release.

----------------------------------------------------
    from njbiz

http://www.njbiz.com/

Nice find! I was wondering what the status of that project is. If this and Advance's project break ground this quarter (the latter of which I highly doubt), that would make for 3 groundbreakings. This project in particular should go up pretty fast as most of the piling and utility work was completed back in 2007 before the previous developer of the site stalled construction.

And given that the press release doesn't state whether the units will be condos or rentals, and also given that the units apparently will have central A/C (as opposed to PTAC units), looks like they might definitely be weighing the option of selling them as condos.

btw - I believe the small 'recreation' building in the center of the rendering will be set back 50 ft or so from the street, with a driveway/street between the two 4-story buildings for access to the garage.
    Last edited by West Hudson; April 7th, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

That's a good looking design.

Default Senior Citizen Housing and More

Although it will not be a tax ratable, it is nice to see construction proceeding nicely on the 20 unit senior citizen housing building on Harrison Avenue. How a society treats its senior citizens with lower incomes is a good judge of the society.

I hope that one of these builders that are the subject of some of the recent postings will build town houses or condos. I would like a larger place, and I would certainly like to be closer to the PATH Station. I currently have 1154 square feet, but with two people living in my RiverPark Avon Unit Condo, I feel the need for additional space now.

As an aside, I was in Lyndhurst on Sunday and saw the Vermella Complex that Russo Development Built. They are near completion I think of the final building. Overall, I think that Russo did a good job on the design etc. I hope that Russo Development makes some changes to the original design of their Harrison Building. I suspect that the Lyndhurst Planning Commission made sure that Russo Development built quality and well designed buildings.

Default A Gold Mine ?

When I was in Lyndhurst this Sunday, I stopped in at an Open House for a relatively new Town House. I really liked the Town House that was spacious, well designed etc. The town house was not inexpensive, but what stopped me in my tracks was the property tax bill. The current taxes are $10,149 a year, and will probably increase another $250 or so when the new August Property Tax Bills come out. Harrison has the ability to grant tax abatements and participate in special tax programs. For example, at RiverPark the owners taxes are fixed or won't change for 15 years. For years 16 to 20, the property taxes will be brought up to the assessed valuation. Harrison needs to entice builders with this special tax program to build condos and/or town house properties that are owned. This is an incredible selling point with people living in NJ Towns that have seen skyrocketing property taxes. The Town of Harrison benefits by getting more property taxes, and owners generally have a greater commitment to the Town than renters. This tax plan was one of the main reasons I bought at RiverPark. When I moved five years ago, I was paying $7200 a year in property taxes. Last year, I met some of my old neighbors who still own houses similar to the one I sold. They told me that they are now paying over $10,000 a year in property taxes.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wow that's high. That's about what I pay in maintenance.

I have a feeling that some of the units being built in Hudson County - possibly in Harrison (and perhaps those mentioned above in the Hampshire/Crownepoint development) will be built as (or converted to) condos. I guess we'll know in a year or so...

Default Harrison Development 4 21 2014

All images are from my blog;
    http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/

Dey Street Condos

Harrison Commons

Element Hotel

Harrison PATH Station Expansion and Renovation

1000 Frank E Rodgers Boulevard

Default Path Station progress!!!

Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    Finally nice to see progress is being made...PATH station upgrades can't come soon enough!

I also noticed the demolition in-front of the ShopRite...is that where the new BJs and Lowes may be coming?

-----JT-----