Page 63 of 114 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Thank god I finally found this forum. I've been trying to find any information I can about the Harrison development program.

I moved to the Harrison Station Apartment building nearly a year ago. My unit is the top floor on the corner above the Five Guys. I have gone from a pretty clear view of the PATH station to now living in the shadow of the Element hotel.

Looking forward to collaborating with all of you on the progress happening around the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott VonSchilling View Post
    Thank god I finally found this forum. I've been trying to find any information I can about the Harrison development program.

I moved to the Harrison Station Apartment building nearly a year ago. My unit is the top floor on the corner above the Five Guys. I have gone from a pretty clear view of the PATH station to now living in the shadow of the Element hotel.

Looking forward to collaborating with all of you on the progress happening around the station.
    Welcome to the forum Scott, it is great having new people join in the discussions etc. Our leader and the guy who started the blog is tbal, a man who is wise beyond his years.

Default To build or not to build that is the question

Clearly, I am elated with the progress being made in the construction of RiverPark Buildings 3 and 4 (soon to be renamed). I am also very happy with the ongoing construction of the "funky hotel." I agree with tbal, that the hotel is going to look better when it is finished. Here is my philosophy, if you are going to go modern, go interesting. I don't think that anyone would find the architecture of the Hampton Inn interesting at all.

There seems to be good progress on the Russo Development Site. Perhaps, maybe with his Lyndhurst Vermella Project nearing completion, he is sending more workers over to the Harrison Site. The work that remains on the final two Vermella Buildings is inside finishing work. I would suspect that Russo Development subcontracts this finishing work?

Could Advance really be planning to build something ? While waiting for the PATH Train on Monday, I noticed a great deal of activity near the old warehouse buildings. Could these buildings actually be demolished, and Advance begin construction ? Stranger things have happened, even in Harrison.

I also noticed considerable activity on the Harrison Station North Site today. More pipes were delivered for the ground infrastructure, and maybe there was some digging, I could not see that well being on the opposite side of the street. Could we see ground breaking on this site for the first building by the end of the year?

I am really disappointed that there has been no work on the Harrison Station South Site. The site preparation seems to be going on and on and on. I am beginning to wonder whether they are actually going to build on this site. Maybe, it is just my impatience, but these folks have been promising construction for years and have not delivered, although we can say that about all of the firms building in Harrison.

The PATH Station work continues. I am wondering whether this project will be completed within a decade.

Cool JJ Shows West Hudson Some Love

Construction on the upswing in West Hudson

By Rose Duger/For The Jersey Journal
    on April 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Element Hotel on Somerset Street in Harrison under construction, Wednesday, March 12, 2014. Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal

Redevelopment projects are humming along in West Hudson, which has seen an upswing in the number of residential and commercial developments underway as the region’s economy has improved.

While many development projects had stalled when the economy tanked several years ago, developers and municipalities were quietly proceeding with remediation and preparing sites for construction. Now, West Hudson’s three municipalities are poised to reap the benefits in the form of increased ratables.

In Harrison, construction on Starwood’s Element Hotel located near Red Bull Stadium should be finished this year, while East Newark’s St. George, a 60-unit rental complex completed last year, is fully occupied. A riverfront site in East Newark that once housed a concrete plant has also generated interest from a developer for new residences, sources have reported.

Carlstadt-based Russo Development is proceeding with two residential projects in Kearny and Harrison. Mike Pembroke, senior vice president of leasing and marketing, said West Hudson attracts renters looking for a suburban flavor with an urban mix.

“While building our residential portfolio, we have seen that the balance of suburban amenities and metropolitan access found here is very desirable to today’s renters,” he said. “Coupled with our goal to build the highest quality product while remaining price competitive in each market, we have been fortunate to have continued success.”

Russo’s Vermella Harrison is modeled after its highly-successful Vermella Lyndhurst development, which opened last year in nearby southern Bergen County.

Construction has begun on the Harrison project’s parking facility, according to Lisa Sikora, the firm’s director of marketing. Approximately 400 rental units will wrap around the parking structure, she added. The development will also feature a 3,473-square-foot restaurant, as well four additional retail locations totaling 8,274 square feet. Amenities for residents will include a fitness center, outdoor courtyard, pool, fitness center and lounge.

At Russo’s Schuyler Crossing in Kearny, the firm will begin construction of the first of six 25-unit buildings, which is on track to be occupied in January. The entire complex, slated for completion later next year, will include 78 one-bedroom apartments and 72 two-bedroom units, along with parking, a clubhouse and a fitness center. The site already includes a CVS and Investors Bank, also constructed by Russo.

Commercial development is also steaming ahead in Kearny, with a BJ's Wholesale Club planned for Passaic Avenue and a proposal for a new mini-mall near Wal-Mart awaiting approval from the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission, according to Mayor Al Santos.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...t_river_hudson

Great find JCMan - thanks for posting! I walked by the Russo site yesterday and the way the base of the parking structure is coming together makes it appear that there will be separate parking for the retail area. There's a section that slopes downward, shaped like the letter "J" and has a separate entrance from the rest of the structure that will slope upward from the other entrance. Looks like they should be assembling the precast maybe by early June (still have to pour another layer of perimeter walls and the slab).

Also interesting that they mention the Walmart shopping center. There's piling activity taking place there right now but it might be for two smaller retail buildings...but that site has been U/C for at least a month now, so it would've been approved awhile ago.

Thumbs up Ironstate Updates Website, Lists Dates of Interest

So according to the Ironstate Harrison Commons site (link below), they're calling the work that began a few weeks ago with raising the Building 3 site its groundbreaking (site says scheduled to break ground April 2014). They also list the opening date of the Element as July 2014 (which echos what Starwood's website says). It looks like they're preparing to re-open the Somerset Street entrance to the garage soon though - they just put the finishing layer of pavement on the new driveway today and the sidewalks are already in. I guess once that takes place, they'll be closing the temporary retail parking lot that's current occupying the FER frontage and then they'll elevate that last portion of the site. There are markings all over, presumably for piling work.

http://ironstate.net/properties-harrison-station.html
    Last edited by West Hudson; August 13th, 2014 at 01:13 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	17873

They started doing work on the Newark bound side of the station this weekend.

Element site also hired an overnight guard to watch over the place. The retail spaces are sectioned off and the lobby is coming together with a huge staircase.

Vincente's Interior and a shot of their (delicious) chocolate croissant! There is also another bakery/ coffee shop opening next to 210 Harrison Ave, its taking forever and a day to open but they just put up their "Open" and "Coffee/ Espresso" signage.

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	17875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	17877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2620.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	17876

They're bringing out the big machines for the path station.

Name:	photo (3).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	17879
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	17878  
    Last edited by Scott VonSchilling; May 7th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.

Thumbs up Area Retail Boom

Several retailers will be moving into locations near the Harrison/Kearny border, both immediately north and east of Harrison. In the Walmart shopping center, joining Walmart and Wawa will be Gamestop, GNC, Verizon, and Buy-Rite Liquors (same chain as near the Holland Tunnel entrance in Jersey City that opened a few years ago). Of course we have BJ's moving in just north of town, and across the street from BJ's Wholesale Club (in the former Pathmark space) L.A. Fitness may be moving in. There's a conceptual design in place for the former aluminum bat site south of Shoprite, and across the street from Shoprite (where demo work started a few weeks ago) the land will be marketed for retail or residential use.

Article from The Observer: http://www.theobserver.com/

Forum Veteran

from today

142 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

144 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

145 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

146 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Kearny pattern of redevelopment seems anti new residents, 100% retail. One look at Kearny high on Devon st shows why. Schools are overpopulated. trailer classrooms are common.

Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Kearny pattern of redevelopment seems anti new residents, 100% retail. One look at Kearny high on Devon st shows why. Schools are overpopulated. trailer classrooms are common.
    There is one major residential project going on in Kearny, Schuyler Crossing. http://www.russodevelopment.com/prop...rCrossing.html

I'd say that most of the desirable residential sites have been developed though. You really don't want to build residential in the marshes and Passaic Ave isn't necessarily an area people would be looking at as a desirable residential neighborhood. Look at Schuyler Crossing which is near the marshes and you will see it took about 10' of fill to bring it up that site up to a level where they could develop it.

With that said, I won't argue that Kearny may be trying to avoid residential development to avoid more kids in the school. However, the trailers at the high school are due to ongoing renovations and expansions at the school, not because there aren't currently enough class rooms.

What I think needs to happen is a new development around and right on top of Harrison station, so that PATH commuters' eyes are never offended by that Element hotel again.

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
    Thanks for the pics Nexis! I just realized today that the platform extension isn't actually part of the Harrison Station Replacement project; it's a completely separate project. There may very well be a new station entrance/exit on Third Street with the extension - I'll see if I can find out more (I'm sure Ironstate & other developers would've pushed for such access anyway).
    I think that's going to be a temporary platform while they work on the area to the east of FER Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    What I think needs to happen is a new development around and right on top of Harrison station, so that PATH commuters' eyes are never offended by that Element hotel again.
    Try having it outside of your bedroom window.