Page 66 of 114 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

That looks like it will fall apart by next week.

And who needs bay windows when a painted-on shadow does the trick?

The painted-on shadows are there to give the building a bit of character - it would look incredibly boring if it had a plain white stucco facade. While I'll agree it's not the most attractive building in all aspects, it sure as hell is a huge upgrade from what that corner used to look like:

Before (2007):

After (2014):

Last edited by West Hudson; June 28th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Forum Veteran

from Yesterday

The speed at the work on all fronts is impressive in Harrison. It's almost frantic. The Westin popped up in a couple of months, Halmar is flat out working on the new PATH station. Platform extensions are moving along quickly (looks to me like they could take an extra two cars but don't imagine places like Exchange Place can ever handle that (can EP even handle one more car on a train?)

There is a rental/condo building going up further south of the station just past the entrance to the stadium. It came out of nowhere.

The whole area will be utterly unrecognizable in a couple of years.

I fear for the crowds using PATH in that same time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    The speed at the work on all fronts is impressive in Harrison. It's almost frantic. The Westin popped up in a couple of months, Halmar is flat out working on the new PATH station. Platform extensions are moving along quickly (looks to me like they could take an extra two cars but don't imagine places like Exchange Place can ever handle that (can EP even handle one more car on a train?)

There is a rental/condo building going up further south of the station just past the entrance to the stadium. It came out of nowhere.

The whole area will be utterly unrecognizable in a couple of years.

I fear for the crowds using PATH in that same time frame.
    I think the last line is still my concern. Capacity in the system. You have expanding Path demand from both Harrison and Newark and a bottleneck for capacity in Jersey city. I wonder how this will play out as you extend the path to EWR.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I think they already lengthened the Exchange Place platforms, after 9/11.

I believe the Harrison PATH Station was the only one that could not handle 10 cars (only 8). Once the Harrison expansion finishes then all stations should be able to handle the 10 cars.

-----JT-----

Default additional trains/runs

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    I believe the Harrison PATH Station was the only one that could not handle 10 cars (only 8). Once the Harrison expansion finishes then all stations should be able to handle the 10 cars.

-----JT-----
    I guess I am thinking one two three decades out in terms of growth and ridership patterns. I just wonder where we go with the system to continue the growth.

As for the point made earlier about the pace of development. It's been nice to see the hotel get up that quickly and I definitely think there is more room for it given the occupancy rates that have spurred 3 new hotels in Newark with as many as 3 more on the way over the past 5 years.

Forum Veteran

-----JT-----
    Honestly I don't see it making a difference...too many people trying to use the same line. They need to start expanding the Light Rail network to take the pressure off the PATH and buses. Restoring the Harrison Station on the Morris & Essex will help a little bit...but a LRT from Newark to Jersey City will siphon off growing ridership at the source Newark Penn and the Ironbound.

I actually like the lights at night.

-----JT-----
    I think Christopher street is smaller. Folks riding the first two cars are usually warned to walk back to the third car. Doors wont open at the 1st or 2nd car.

There's also two smaller stations(33rd st/ northbound side )used for storage on the 33rd st line.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

PATH wanted to extend Christopher and 9th street platforms and build more exits after 9/11 but the neighborhood wouldn't let them.

Path should've threatened them with closure. Let the "So-fist-eecated" snobs walk to and from 14th street. LOL