Page 68 of 114 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Soil Testing at HornRock Site

Tbal, it is great to see some preliminary work going on at this site. I will be glad to see the lumber yard go. It is a blight on the neighborhood. I have seen rats roaming the property, and there always seems to be litter on the premises. More importantly, the flood on First and Warren Streets during Hurricane Irene resulted from the river overflowing this property. The builder will do some flood protection construction similar to the RiverPark Builder did which will prevent flooding.

Default Senior Citizen Housing

Although not a major construction project or a ratable, it is worth noting the 20 unit senior citizen housing building going up on Harrison Avenue near Schuyler. The foundation was constructed several months ago and left to cure I am assuming. A couple of weeks ago, 28 prefab units or sections were brought to the site and assembled. It was fascinating watching the 28 units assembled like a giant Lego Toy. It was interesting to see the units contained kitchens, closets and bathrooms, already in place. The units will now be covered in brick. I wonder whether we will see more of this type of construction in Harrison in the coming years. I suspect that the major construction projects will lead to some smaller projects in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    Although not a major construction project or a ratable, it is worth noting the 20 unit senior citizen housing building going up on Harrison Avenue near Schuyler. The foundation was constructed several months ago and left to cure I am assuming. A couple of weeks ago, 28 prefab units or sections were brought to the site and assembled. It was fascinating watching the 28 units assembled like a giant Lego Toy. It was interesting to see the units contained kitchens, closets and bathrooms, already in place. The units will now be covered in brick. ...".. I suspect that the major construction projects will lead to some smaller projects in the coming years.
    That sounds like the modular build is going well: ask them to head on over and rescue the job at Atlantic Yards Brooklyn when their all done in Harrison. LOL

Yeah, from what I've heard Atlantic Yards has been a series of major let-downs. It will be interesting to see how construction plays out at this site here in Harrison and whether it will be a model for or a warning against similar construction projects in the future.

Although not a major construction project or a ratable, it is worth noting the 20 unit senior citizen housing building going up on Harrison Avenue near Schuyler. The foundation was constructed several months ago and left to cure I am assuming. A couple of weeks ago, 28 prefab units or sections were brought to the site and assembled. It was fascinating watching the 28 units assembled like a giant Lego Toy. It was interesting to see the units contained kitchens, closets and bathrooms, already in place. The units will now be covered in brick. I wonder whether we will see more of this type of construction in Harrison in the coming years. I suspect that the major construction projects will lead to some smaller projects in the coming years.
    Modular housing will be the future of most lower and middle end developments in the future once they work out the bugs. It is cheaper than construction on site, has less delays since the units are assembled in a factory, and produces less waste since scraps can be used in other units or stored for a future project. The result also tends to be of higher quality construction since they are built in a controlled environment rather then the open elements. I will have to do a Harrison update soon, likely sometime this week.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I think the Washington Heights modular building is finished.

Default Heavy Equipment, Activity at Hornrock Site

This past week, several pieces of heavy equipment were delivered to the lumber yard portion of the Hornrock site, where land was cleared and leveled. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but it may be a requirement Hornrock had in an agreement to purchase the site, or it may just be that the lumber yard is expanding operations. However, as you can see below, the activity took place throughout the site, including the access driveway from Harrison Ave., so this does look somewhat promising.

Thumbs up Cork Fit-Out Underway, New Building Construction Sizzling

Cork Liquors (which opened its first location in Toll Brothers' 1450 Washington Street in Hoboken) began fitting out its space this week and posted a banner with the company's logo, though no opening date is noted. For a look at their Hoboken space, you can click here: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/cork-...GUQg5lnESs0ZBQ

In other news, construction at the Hampshire Co's Bergen Street site, Ironstate's Middlesex Street site, and Russo Development's FER site is forging ahead at a rapid pace. Just about one month into construction, concrete was poured this week at both the Hampshire and Ironstate sites for the first stretch of foundation. Based on what we've seen with past buildings, we should see vertical construction of the first floor at each set of buildings begin sometime in late October or early November. And, Russo Development's building on FER Drive is seeing the second slice of its transfer slab structure come together. It looks like they'll be pouring concrete around early to mid October, and then work will start on the final section of the 5-story building's ground floor. And on a final note, it looks like Riverpark Phase II (aka Water's Edge) should be ready to open in about a week (trees along the streets are going in and pretty much the only major item left is installing the new street lamps).
    Last edited by West Hudson; September 13th, 2014 at 09:11 AM.

From September 11th. The images are from my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....oken-9-16.html

Some demolition at 100 Harrison Avenue

New infill retail on Harrison Avenue is almost complete.

The Bayonne Boxes next to the community center are complete and are as hideous as usual.

Element is complete and Dunkin Donuts is open.

1100 FE Rodgers Blvd is one floor up and the cores are topped out. This will likely be a "Four on One" type building with four floors of wood construction on top of one floor of concrete, that is already built.

The PATH station has made some more progress

Could Harrison Commons be getting solar panels soon? The SolarCity van seems to suggest they are looking into it.

Does anyone know where the Cookie Factory Site on Essex Street is specifically located ? I assume that since the builder has secured a 30 month construction loan, that construction and or demolition will start in a few months ?

Thumbs up Massive Crane Assembled at Russo Site

Between Friday and today, a massive crane that will be used for assembling the 5-story precast garage was assembled at the Russo site. About a dozen precast sections are now in the staging area and it looks like the long-awaited 460-space parking structure will go under construction tomorrow. Another large chunk of the transfer slab was poured toward the middle of last week and there isn't very much left to get in place to finish the transfer slab structure (I'm guessing they wrap it up by mid-November).

The "Cookie Factory" site is the Hampshire Companies ("Heartstone Development") site that takes up all the frontage along Essex Street between Second and Third streets. Both that and Ironstate's 300 Middlesex are really taking shape fast (both are on accelerated construction schedules with the crews working 6 days/week with 12-hour shifts Mon-Fri). It looks like the first floor of the first Cookie Factory building will start to get framed out around mid-October and that at Harrison Commons should be going up by early to mid November.

On my way home today I noticed that an excavator has been delivered to the Top Car Sales property, which is the remaining (smaller) of the HornRock site (as I posted a few weeks ago, the lumber yard site, operated by a different owner, has seen alot of construction activity for several weeks now).

Does anyone know where the Cookie Factory Site on Essex Street is specifically located ? I assume that since the builder has secured a 30 month construction loan, that construction and or demolition will start in a few months ?
    It's actually located at Essex between 2nd and 3rd Streets. They are making very quick progress, I already saw the foundations going up.

-----JT-----

Default Water's Edge Starts Leasing

I walked along the new stretch of waterfront walkway this evening and they did a great job with it (just need to finish putting the lamps and benches in). The lights in the pool change color every few seconds, which give it an edgy look at night. Looking forward to phase III (haven't heard anything about it yet, but maybe we'll hear something soon if leasing is strong).

Here is a link to the article for those who are interested:
    http://www.globest.com/news/12_951/n...NJ-350715.html

Thumbs up Kearny BJ's Gets Going

Retail project on Passaic Avenue in Kearny back on track

By Rose Duger | For The Jersey Journal
    on September 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Old warehouses on Passaic Avenue in Kearny, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, which will be razed to make way for retail shops and a BJ's Wholesale Club. Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal

The developer of a long-awaited retail project on Passaic Avenue says demolition of abandoned warehouses is finally slated to begin in November.

Eric R. Ballou, principal of an engineering firm hired for the project by developer DVL Kearny Holdings LLC, said issues with utilities have delayed demolition of the warehouses located on Passaic Avenue near an existing K-Mart. The developer expected the utilities to be disconnected this week, he added.

“We’re working to try to secure all permits now and we’re hoping that by November demolition will begin,” Ballou explained.

BJ’s Wholesale Club has signed on as the new development’s first tenant. So far, no other tenants have formalized agreements, according to Ballou, who added that work on the project’s infrastructure will begin early next year.

At a recent meeting, elected officials voted to extend the agreement with DVL to develop the property, which will include a one-story building to house another retailer and another one-story structure for five smaller retail tenants.

In addition to paying administrative fees to the town, the extended agreement requires DVL to contribute $184,000 to help fund construction of a walkway along the Passaic River.

Kearny officials first designated DVL as the developer in 2006. Plans to tear down the warehouses and construct new stores halted in 2007 when the nation was plunged into a recession.

The project also hit a snag due to an eminent domain case that eventually allowed DVL to purchase a tract that once housed the Ozzie’s Ford auto dealership in 2010.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...elated_stories