Page 71 of 114 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Great photos, West New York, I know that many will disagree, but I like the look of the new Element Hotel. If you are going to do modern, why not make it interesting ? The Hampton Inn is typical hotel boring.

I am looking forward to Cork. It will be nice having a classy liquor and wine store in the neghborhood.

I wonder which major construction company will break ground next ? I wonder what is going on at the lumber yard and used car lot. I guess that some preliminary work was being done.

I'm going to wager DeBartolo/Advance is next. Russo Development has been transferring all of its supplies and equipment to block D from block E, and block E is the rumored lot for the DeBartolo project. I don't know why else Russo would suddenly clear lot E otherwise...but maybe I'm being too optimistic. It does appear that DeBartolo is a reputable developer with alot of resources though, so I am hopeful. I guess we will know by Spring.

btw - there were crews well past 9 PM this evening finishing off the slabs on the entire south side of 300 Middlesex in Harrison Commons. Maybe we'll see the first walls up by the end of the week! Can't wait to see steel rising along FER...

Hello everyone!

I am considering to return to Harrison soon, and thus weighting suitable (opportune) living options: (1) rent vs (2) buying.

I was in Harrison last Sunday, exploring rental options. I visited water's edge development, and it looked really nice. However, (1) location (even though they promise shuttle service to the path) and (2) prices seemed steep. They offer 1 month free rent (someone here mentioned 2), but it hardly mitigates pet fee ($50 a month and $500 security deposit?), the location, rent, and other upfront charges. They wanted me me to sign on the dotted line to keep those incentives, and boy they were persistent. $1900 for ~800 sq ft 1brm?

In 2008, I rented an 1200 sq ft. apartment across the street - at river park harrison (201 Dey st) for $1850. While it was an inconvenient walk to the path (I work in midtown), I really enjoyed the apartment.

Harrison station complex, while conveniently located near the path, presents its own set of challenges: http://www.yelp.com/biz/harrison-sta...ments-harrison

What are the good options to live in Harrison now or in the near future?
    Last edited by sleiveen; October 29th, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleiveen View Post
    Hello everyone, I am considering to return to Harrison soon and want to figure out my living options. (1) rent vs (2) buying.

I was in Harrison last Sunday, exploring rental options. I visited water's edge development, and it looked really nice. However, (1) location (even though they promise shuttle service to the path) and (2) prices seemed to be pretty steep. They offer 1 month free rent (someone here mentioned 2), but pet fee and inflated rent makes it very unattractive. they wanted me to sign on the dotted line to keep those incentives, and boy they were persistent. $1900 for ~800 sq ft 1brm? In 2008, I rented an 1200 sq ft. apartment across the street - at river park harrison (201 Dey st) for $1850. While it was an inconvenient walk to the path (I work in midtown), I really enjoyed the apartment.

Harrison station complex, while conveniently located near the path, presents its own set of problems: http://www.yelp.com/biz/harrison-sta...ments-harrison

What are the good options to live in Harrison now or in the near future?
    If it were me I would think there are bound to be some good "off the drawing" purchase options available in the area. There is such a storm of residential building in and around the station that the whole area will be utterly transformed in a couple of years.

There is another major rental building flying up at 1100 FE Rodgers Blvd that should be complete before winter's end. Easy walking distance to the stadium and station. Whether the area owners are colluding in setting a base rental price for the market remains to be seen, but they are definitely not low balling at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    There is another major rental building flying up at 1100 FE Rodgers Blvd that should be complete before winter's end. Easy walking distance to the stadium and station. Whether the area owners are colluding in setting a base rental price for the market remains to be seen, but they are definitely not low balling at the minute.
    First units there are projected to be complete around July 2015...they're going to be released in blocks of around 100 units at a stretch. But the Hampshire Cos building is supposed to be complete about a month earlier (projected rents have already been released but I forget the figures). And then about one year from now 300 Middlesex should be opening.

Yes, it does seem that the units at Water's Edge are pricey but I guess they're trying to pitch the waterfront location as a bonus to make up for not being adjacent to the PATH station. Seems like alot of residents in the neighborhood commute to the suburbs for work but live here for the quick access to the city on nights/weekends. It does seem like the town is trying to come up with a solution for access to the Harrison Station apartments during games but what we really need is the new I-280 interchange by the stadium! I don't think I've heard/read anything about it since 2012...
    Last edited by West Hudson; October 28th, 2014 at 10:20 PM.

Any updates on new condo developments? Perhaps something similar to River Park?

Quote Originally Posted by sleiveen View Post
    Any updates on new condo developments? Perhaps something similar to River Park?
    I haven't heard of anything, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were some conversions a few years from now. The units in the Hampshire Co's buildings are supposed to have central AC, which is typically only found in for-sale units. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those two buildings is converted to condos once the rental market cools down...and a few years back, Roseland told Riverpark owners that it was planning on converting the Water's Edge buildings to condos 2-3 years down the road (but who knows if that was a true statement). But I'm sure that once all these rentals are online, if they can't get high enough occupancy rates at the rents they will be asking, they may definitely convert bunches of the units here and there to for-sale condos.

btw - I could be wrong, but in Jersey City I can definitely see this happening...maybe buildings like Marbella I and 50 Columbus or the rest of Grove Pointe will be converted by 2016 or 2017 after all the new rental units are added to the market. It's alot cheaper to convert an existing rental building than build new construction, and it's a hell of alot faster than waiting several years for an entire building to be built out. Happened to the Avalon Cove tower during the last boom (now Mandalay on the Hudson).

btw - the first steel for 300 Middlesex went up today - the structure for the building's main lobby is now in place.
    Last edited by West Hudson; October 29th, 2014 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Roseland told Riverpark owners that it was planning on converting the Water's Edge buildings to condos 2-3 years down the road (but who knows if that was a true statement).
    From my understanding Water's Edge is already condo. All the paperwork is set-up with NJ consumer affairs. They just haven't sold any of them individually. Instead they set-up a subsidiary to own them all for now. I don't necessarily know if, or when, they will convert them but from what the setup is supposed to be they'd be ready to sell them off at the drop of a hat.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

What is the flood zone for that area?

Great photos, West New York! I took some also on the 28th.
    They are all posted on http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

1st and Harrion

Harrison Station 2 (300 Somerset)

Harrison PATH Station

Ready for concrete!

1100 Frank E Rodgers

Again all of them and more are here at http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

Awesome pics guys - thanks for sharing. I feel that the Russo building is really going to kick it up a notch for Harrison - you can see in the first photo that Nexis posted just how massive a stretch of retail will be filling in that segment of FER. There was a crew doing soil testing at the lot next door this week (block E), which Russo was using as a staging area until about a week ago when it moved its equipment and materials to block D (which I presume will be used in Phase II of its Harrison plan).

So if I would rent in Harrison now, what would be a good option in terms of location and price in a new development?

What are the current incentive offered by Water's Edge?
    Last edited by sleiveen; November 3rd, 2014 at 01:36 PM.

I know a lot of people knock Advance for taking so long, but from my knowledge of that company- that were screwed out of funding because of the arena and it has taken years to get that in place. They will be starting their projects soon

Well the recent activity at Block E looks promising. Hopefully we see a new building sprouting in a few months...this town has seen way too many broken promises for that land and it's certainly not helping the town's re-branding campaign to have so many empty lots there.