Page 73 of 114 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

I'll beat you to it.
    http://riverviewobserver.net/tag/riv...-harrison-n-j/

JV will create 1,000 luxury multifamily residences and 20,000 square feet of retail space in town’s Riverbend District
    Harrison, NJ, (Nov. 12, 2014) – Advance Realty and DeBartolo Development, LLC, have formed a joint venture partnership to develop six buildings on three blocks within the Riverbend District of Harrison, N.J. The large-scale mixed-use project will serve as the centerpiece in the continued revitalization of the Hudson County town.
    The first block to be developed, located at the corner of Cape May Street and Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard, is slated for vertical construction to begin in early 2015. The building will feature 286 luxury multifamily residences, an onsite parking deck and extensive indoor and outdoor amenities. When completed, the project will include 1,000 apartments and 20,000 square feet of premium retail space on the three blocks.
    Nevermind my earlier posting. I managed to confuse this project, which is in front of the Red Bulls Stadium and was used for its staging area with the project on the other side of the PATH station. They still are using the same render as the New York Post article above. That one, Heller's Harrison Commons, has seen a little bit of movement recently.

http://www.advancere.com/portfolio/properties/nj-the-riverbend-district.aspx#prettyPhoto

It is happening this time. Advance was screwed out of funding for years because of Red Bull Arena

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    It appears that the blocks to be developed are blocks D & F (southeastern portion of Riverbend) along with Block E (described in above post). It will be interesting to see if this time it's actually for real (after about a decade of broken promises. The fact that Advance now has a partner for the project lends this PR piece some credibility):

From GlobeSt.com:

HARRISON, NJ—Advance Realty and DeBartolo Development have formed a joint venture partnership to develop six buildings on three blocks within the Riverbend District of Harrison, NJ. The large-scale mixed-use project will serve as the centerpiece in the continued revitalization of the Hudson County town. The first block to be developed, located at the corner of Cape May Street and Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard, is slated for vertical construction to begin in early 2015. The building will feature 286 luxury multifamily residences, an onsite parking deck and extensive indoor and outdoor amenities. When completed, the project will include 1,000 apartments and 20,000 square feet of premium retail space on the three blocks. “The mayor’s office was instrumental in moving the project forward,” said Peter Cocoziello, president and chief executive officer of Advance Realty. “We all recognize Harrison’s incredible potential, and we’re delighted to team up with DeBartolo Development in order to bring new luxury apartments and businesses to this great American town.” CBRE executive vice president Gil Medina facilitated the partnership between Advance Realty and DeBartolo Development.

I cannot take Harrison seriously until they have Starbucks and wholefoods =)

Quote Originally Posted by sleiveen View Post
    Some excerpts from the article below. We can only hope that 8,000 residential units really do materialize in Harrison. There is definitely market demand and a chronic shortage of residential units close to rapid transit in the core of the metro region:

According to Mayor James Fife, Harrison, NJ, once held the state record for the most liquor licenses issued in a square mile. Today Harrison seems to be gunning for the title in a new category — building permits.There’s a construction boom underway in this town, tucked into a bend of the Passaic River across from Newark.
    Roughly 8,000 new residential units are slated to come to market in Harrison over the next decade, Fife says — this in a city with a population of just under 14,000. Add to that the opening four years ago of Red Bull Arena here — a 25,000-capacity stadium that serves as the home of Major League Soccer’s New York Red Bulls — plus a planned $256 million modernization of the Harrison PATH station, and you have a town on the make.
    And what else accounts for its soaring appeal? As the old real estate saw would have it, location, location, location.
    “Location is first and foremost,” says Michael Barry, president of Ironstate Development, which, with The Pegasus Group, is currently constructing their multi-phase, mixed-use Harrison Station development next to the Harrison PATH station.
    Thus far, the partners have completed a 275-unit rental building — with studios from $1,460, one-bedrooms from $1,820, two-bedrooms from $2,155 — and are currently putting up a 329-unit rental building scheduled to open next year. They also last month opened a 138-room Element by Westin hotel as part of the project. When completed, the Harrison Station complex will comprise seven buildings, 2,250 residences and 80,000 square feet of retail space.

Sommer says monthly rents at Riverbend will be in the mid- to high-$2-per-square-foot range — or around $2,500 a month for a 1,000-square-foot unit. Jersey City and Hoboken, meanwhile, average around $3 per square foot, while Manhattan and Brooklyn can reach into the $6 range, he notes.
    Low prices and proximity to New York City were keys for Harrison resident Archana Sood, who moved to the city in May. An operations officer with the United Nations’ UNAIDS organization, Sood was transferred this year to the US from Nigeria and needed a place convenient to UN headquarters in Midtown Manhattan.
    When she started her apartment search, Jersey City’s Newport district topped her list of potential neighborhoods, but, put off by the area’s high rents and what she found to be older and, in some cases, poorly kept buildings, she turned her sights to Harrison.
    Ultimately, she settled on a two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment in Harrison Station, where, she notes, she’s as close to the PATH station as she could possibly be.
    “It’s exactly 20 minutes from the station to World Trade Center, and then I can take the subway to Grand Central,” she says.
    To an extent, Harrison’s boom is due to overflow from Jersey City’s ongoing orgy of development. The town sits one PATH stop from Jersey City’s Journal Square station, around which some 33 developments are currently in the works, including KRE Groups three-tower, 2.4-million-square-foot Journal Squared complex.
    City planning has also played a significant role. Back in the mid-1990s, Harrison began to convert former industrial areas to residential use, leading to a series of waterfront redevelopment plans — the most recent issued in 2012. The entire effort ultimately encompassed some 275 acres of land along the Passaic River, or more than 30 percent of the town’s total land area. The city, Fife says, has used PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) programs to incentivize builders to clean and prepare these industrial properties for residential conversion and development.

“I think Harrison years ago recognized the very valuable asset they have in the PATH train, and like any other town they wanted to see the town blossom and grow — and so they designated a very large area around the train and what is now Red Bull Stadium a redevelopment area,” says Jonathan Schwartz, executive vice president of developer BNE. The firm completed a 176-unit condo project, River Park at Harrison, in 2007, and last month opened a 141-unit rental building, Water’s Edge, with studios from $1,495, one-bedrooms from $1,795 and two-bedrooms from $2,205.

Fans of new construction like Lordi have plenty to look forward to. In addition to the new Ironstate, Advance and BNE projects, Russo Development’s Vermella Harrison will open next year with 399 rentals (pricing to be determined). Heller Urban Renewal also has a project underway: Named Harrison Station (like the Ironstate-Pegasus project), the development will consist of 747 rental units and around 30,000 square feet of retail space.
    “You can see in the next five to six years the development is going to come up very fast,” Sood says. “In another five years, this place is going to be big.”

Default Seriously ?

I cannot take Harrison seriously until they have Starbucks and wholefoods =)
    i can not take you seriously if you are going to post such ridiculous comments. I am sure that Mayor Fife has had many sleepless nights because Harrison does not have a Starbucks. I notice that many residents of Harrison walk down the streets with their heads bowed because the Town of Harrison does not have a Starbucks, and they feel such terrible shame.

On a more serious note, I would like to see a Whole Foods in the general area. I think that a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes would be more appropriate on Passaic Avenue along the river, in Kearny, East Newark etc.

Regarding Starbucks, I would like to see a quality coffee shop open in Harrison in due course. When we have more of a yuppie population, I am sure that they will support one or more quality coffee shops. I am not a big fan of Starbucks. They are too expensive and their coffee is not that great. Their shops are often dirty and their bathrooms often leave a great deal to desire. Their reward program is rather pathetic. There are many other coffee companies that I would like to see open in Harrison, in the meantime we peasants will have to settle for Duncan Donuts and the other places that sell coffee.

Forum Veteran

Downtown Newark is getting the Whole Foods....Harrison Needs a Trader Joe's.

Default NJ Transit Morris-Essex Station

I would be very surprised if Starbucks didn't open a location in either Harrison Commons or HUR's Harrison Station. That area is going to become flooded with yuppies in the next 2-3 years. There's already been a noticeable change in the makeup of the community in the last 5 years, but Starbucks seems to like locations near transit stations.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the status of the Morris-Essex station on Jersey Street? If that were to reopen it could be a BOON for all those businesses along Harrison Ave that haven't really seen any benefit yet from the redevelopment here. And there are several large sites that could host big buildings and expand the gentrification further north, including one directly across the street from the station. I really hope the mayor & council make a push for that after the current wave of redevelopment wraps up - seems like we have finally reached the critical mass needed to keep the redevelopment effort rolling forward. I think those PATH riders are starting to notice all the massive developments going up.

btw - I can't believe how quickly 300 Middlesex is going up. That area is going to be a real focal point for this town. Can't wait to see HUR's buildings go up to complete that outdoor gathering space/plaza concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Downtown Newark is getting the Whole Foods....Harrison Needs a Trader Joe's.
    Heller owns the massive distribution/logistics building across RR Ave from 300 Middlesex, and that site was designated for mixed-use with retail. I don't know if a Trader Joe's will go in there, but I think it would be smart for a major grocer of some sort to move into that space. It's basically right in the center of practically all of the new developments - in 12 months there will be about 2,000 new middle class residents within a 3-block radius of that building (i.e. walking distance).

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    I would be very surprised if Starbucks didn't open a location in either Harrison Commons or HUR's Harrison Station. That area is going to become flooded with yuppies in the next 2-3 years. There's already been a noticeable change in the makeup of the community in the last 5 years, but Starbucks seems to like locations near transit stations.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the status of the Morris-Essex station on Jersey Street? If that were to reopen it could be a BOON for all those businesses along Harrison Ave that haven't really seen any benefit yet from the redevelopment here. And there are several large sites that could host big buildings and expand the gentrification further north, including one directly across the street from the station. I really hope the mayor & council make a push for that after the current wave of redevelopment wraps up - seems like we have finally reached the critical mass needed to keep the redevelopment effort rolling forward. I think those PATH riders are starting to notice all the massive developments going up.

btw - I can't believe how quickly 300 Middlesex is going up. That area is going to be a real focal point for this town. Can't wait to see HUR's buildings go up to complete that outdoor gathering space/plaza concept.
    The only Station that is on NJT's radar is Elizabeth...and that is a complete rebuild... Harrison along with 20 other Infill Stations are on hold...including basic Light Rail stations. Harrison requires some Track realignment if im not mistaken which drives up cost...

Construction boom in Harrison spotlighted in New York Post

Gov. Chris Christie, Mayor Ray McDonough and Port Authority Executive Director Bill Baroni celebrated the beginning of construction of the new Harrison PATH station on Friday, Aug. 16, 2013. Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal
    Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal

By The Jersey Journal
    on November 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM

No longer Newark's sleepy little brother across the Passaic River in Hudson County, Harrison is coming into its own as a magnet for developers and young families, the New York Post real estate section highlighted on Thursday.

Roughlyly 8,000 new residential units are slated to come to market in Harrison over the next decade, Mayor James Fife told The Post.

Add those new units to the 25,000-capacity Red Bull Arena that opened four years ago and the planned $256 million modernization of the town's PATH station, and Harrison is becoming a cool place to live, as well as invest.

The key: Location, location, location, according to Michael Barry, president of Ironstate Development, which, with The Pegasus Group, is building the mixed-used Harrison Station development next to the Harrison PATH station.

"Harrison is located on the PATH train, and that gives you direct access to Jersey City, New York City, and Newark," Barry told The Post. “So essentially from the [town’s] redevelopment area, you’re less than five minutes into Newark, about a 10- to 12-minute ride into Jersey City, and about a 20-minute ride into New York City.”

Thus far, the partners have completed a 275-unit rental building — with studios from $1,460, one-bedrooms from $1,820, two-bedrooms from $2,155 — and are currently putting up a 329-unit rental building scheduled to open next year.

They also last month opened a 138-room Element by Westin hotel as part of the project. When completed, the Harrison Station complex will comprise seven buildings, 2,250 residences and 80,000 square feet of retail space.

-------------------------------------

taken from nj.com
    http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

It seems that http://rentatwatersedge.com/ is have difficulties moving their units. When we visited it a few weeks ago, they only had one occupant, and now they are getting creative with their incentives, changing them almost on daily basis. We really like their property and consider taking it in a month, but feel the prices are a bit steep for the location. Thoughts?

It seems that http://rentatwatersedge.com/ is have difficulties moving their units. When we visited it a few weeks ago, they only had one occupant, and now they are getting creative with their incentives, changing them almost on daily basis. We really like their property and consider taking it in a month, but feel the prices are a bit steep for the location. Thoughts?
    from the pictures, it looks like a beautiful property. their one bedroom prices do seem to be the rent ceiling for this area. two bedrooms are on par. if they lease up successfully, they'll push the whole market up, including downtown Newark. that's a good thing from a YIMBY standpoint because it will lure more developers and more neighborhood amenities. now is the slowest leasing season so no surprise it's a little slow for them. i think it's slow for most properties. i think they have way too many layouts though. judging by the unit mix, harrison seems to be mostly a one bedroom market which means more single people. some bars and lounges should do well there.

Cool Harrison Construction Update

An update on the 3 largest buildings rising in Harrison:

221 Bergen

1100 FER South

300 Middlesex

Last edited by West Hudson; November 30th, 2014 at 08:52 PM.