Page 76 of 114 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1696

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Forum Veteran

What was Vincente's?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim McLaughlin View Post
    Looks like Vincente's on Frank E. Rodgers took a hit this winter... windows now covered up with shipping paper– a shame, very cute and well-designed place, just probably a bit ahead of its time and easy to pass by.
    That's too bad...that place was U/C for like 3 years and then finally opened in the spring or summer last year. I guess they didn't study the market enough plus that location just doesn't get the foot traffic you need to have a thriving business there yet. One area that this town needs to work on more is easing the regulations for development around upper FER and Harrison Ave. They usually only allow up to two units of residential above retail on a standard 25' x 100' lot if there's no parking. Perhaps they should work with the Hudson County Improvement Authority or do a Public Private Partnership to get a municipal garage built near the intersection of Harrison Ave & FER, and then loosen the density restrictions on new buildings in the area. We need more density outside of the core redevelopment area for those businesses to succeed. I think they own part of the surface lot across the street from the Rec building on FER (or if it's fully owned by the church, they could probably reach an agreement on developing it into shared structured parking).

Thumbs up BJ's Kearny Shopping Center Rendering

3D perspective. This is looking southeast, with the center being where the James Farm Market sign was.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    That's too bad...that place was U/C for like 3 years and then finally opened in the spring or summer last year. I guess they didn't study the market enough plus that location just doesn't get the foot traffic you need to have a thriving business there yet. One area that this town needs to work on more is easing the regulations for development around upper FER and Harrison Ave. They usually only allow up to two units of residential above retail on a standard 25' x 100' lot if there's no parking. Perhaps they should work with the Hudson County Improvement Authority or do a Public Private Partnership to get a municipal garage built near the intersection of Harrison Ave & FER, and then loosen the density restrictions on new buildings in the area. We need more density outside of the core redevelopment area for those businesses to succeed. I think they own part of the surface lot across the street from the Rec building on FER (or if it's fully owned by the church, they could probably reach an agreement on developing it into shared structured parking).
    I believe the restriction is actually 4 units on 2 floors above a single retail store, unless Harrison has stricter zoning rules. 100 Harrison Avenue is a double example of that and will use 3-hour fire rated walls to achieve the distinction of two separate buildings. The "Lopez Plaza" row of buildings on Ferry Street in the Ironbound of Newark is another example of that and consists of 4 separate buildings. If they can clear up the rules on that like Newark just did, it will draw a lot of development.

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
    I believe the restriction is actually 4 units on 2 floors above a single retail store, unless Harrison has stricter zoning rules. 100 Harrison Avenue is a double example of that and will use 3-hour fire rated walls to achieve the distinction of two separate buildings. The "Lopez Plaza" row of buildings on Ferry Street in the Ironbound of Newark is another example of that and consists of 4 separate buildings. If they can clear up the rules on that like Newark just did, it will draw a lot of development.
    The Harrison Ave property that you refer to has been approved for 4 residential units but it is actually comprised of 2 standard 25' x 100' lots (so still 2 units/lot). It's going to be built in 2 phases (so two buildings) with two, 2-story units above one story of retail. In each building, there will be one (1) two-story unit in the front and one in the back. I've been to a few Planning Board meetings and trust me, the town is tough on this (routinely citing the parking situation in Hoboken as the motive for the density restrictions).

Thumbs up AC by Marriott Coming to Riverbend

No official renderings have been released yet, but a 5-story, 150-room AC by Marriott hotel has been proposed for the corner of FER and Guyon drives, taking up half the frontage of Riverbend Block A along FER. The building will have 4,300 square feet of retail space. The design has been said to have brick and "alot" of glass, in modern European-style architecture. The AC by Marriott brand is geared toward millennials with edgy architecture; most of the hotels are in Europe and have a charcoal/light/medium gray color scheme with alot of exaggerated features, sort of like the Element. Seems like it will be a great complement to the Element on the other side of the PATH station.

Baskervill is the architect on the project. You can see get an idea of what the rooms will look like here:
    http://baskervill.com/portfolio/divi...tels-prototype

Advance is the developer; no word yet on how far into negotiations they are with Marriott on this project but they have all the necessary approvals from the town and county (just need construction permits to be issued at this point).
    Last edited by West Hudson; March 26th, 2015 at 08:54 PM.

No official renderings have been released yet, but a 5-story, 150-room AC by Marriott hotel has been proposed for the corner of FER and Guyon drives, taking up half the frontage of Riverbend Block A along FER. The building will have 4,300 square feet of retail space. The design has been said to have brick and "alot" of glass, in modern European-style architecture. The AC by Marriott brand is geared toward millennials with edgy architecture; most of the hotels are in Europe and have a charcoal/light/medium gray color scheme with alot of exaggerated features, sort of like the Element. Seems like it will be a great complement to the Element on the other side of the PATH station.

Baskervill is the architect on the project. You can see get an idea of what the rooms will look like here:
    http://baskervill.com/portfolio/divi...tels-prototype

Advance is the developer; no word yet on how far into negotiations they are with Marriott on this project but they have all the necessary approvals from the town and county (just need construction permits to be issued at this point).
    West Hudson, where did you obtain this information ? I hope that this is not another one of Advance's Press Release pipe dreams. I recall the noise a few months ago that Advance had joined with DeBartolo Development. The press releases stated that vertical construction would begin in early 2015 on a 286 unit residential construction project. I don't see any construction activity. Moreover, I went on the DeBartolo Website and they do not list any NJ Projects. The town needs to put pressure on Advance to start building or sell their land to someone who will build. Advance is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    West Hudson, where did you obtain this information ? I hope that this is not another one of Advance's Press Release pipe dreams. I recall the noise a few months ago that Advance had joined with DeBartolo Development. The press releases stated that vertical construction would begin in early 2015 on a 286 unit residential construction project. I don't see any construction activity. Moreover, I went on the DeBartolo Website and they do not list any NJ Projects. The town needs to put pressure on Advance to start building or sell their land to someone who will build. Advance is a joke.

I worked at Advance. They are VERY slow

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    Check the meeting minutes (posted online) for the February Hudson County Planning Board meeting. All the details are there.

If you look at the Panasonic project, when they have a commitment from a tenant they seem to follow through. So I would suspect that unlike residential that is speculative in nature, a hotel that signed an agreement to occupy a building would get Advance the financing it needs to build. I don't have any inside info on what's been causing the delays on their residential projects here (and the one in Hoboken, which has been delayed even longer), but I suspect that they've had trouble raising enough money to kickstart them (maybe msands can shed some light here).

Why Advance was chosen as the redeveloper of the largest chunk of the redevelopment zone I do not know. Flashiest proposal? Political connections? I'm not sure. But they certainly don't seem as qualified as other developers (the Ironstate/CJUF/Pegasus team is already completing their 3rd building, and Russo came out of nowhere and is putting up the largest building, by far, ever constructed in this town). But like I said, maybe with a signed commitment from Marriott they'll be able to get financing quickly to build this hotel.
    Last edited by West Hudson; March 26th, 2015 at 11:23 PM.

Check the meeting minutes (posted online) for the February Hudson County Planning Board meeting. All the details are there.

If you look at the Panasonic project, when they have a commitment from a tenant they seem to follow through. So I would suspect that unlike residential that is speculative in nature, a hotel that signed an agreement to occupy a building would get Advance the financing it needs to build. I don't have any inside info on what's been causing the delays on their residential projects here (and the one in Hoboken, which has been delayed even longer), but I suspect that they've had trouble raising enough money to kickstart them (maybe msands can shed some light here).

Why Advance was chosen as the redeveloper of the largest chunk of the redevelopment zone I do not know. Flashiest proposal? Political connections? I'm not sure. But they certainly don't seem as qualified as other developers (the Ironstate/CJUF/Pegasus team is already completing their 3rd building, and Russo came out of nowhere and is putting up the largest building, by far, ever constructed in this town). But like I said, maybe with a signed commitment from Marriott they'll be able to get financing quickly to build this hotel.
    Advance was not 'chosen'. They got the land. They designated the soccer stadium place. They have done everything to make Harrison what it is. But they are SUPER slow in developing themselves.

The following are from Tuesday from my blog, http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar
    1100 FE Rodgers Blvd

300 Somerset

221 Bergen Street

Harrison Avenue building

100 Harrison Avenue

Default Oh Please !

Quote Originally Posted by msands7 View Post
    Advance was not 'chosen'. They got the land. They designated the soccer stadium place. They have done everything to make Harrison what it is. But they are SUPER slow in developing themselves.
    "They have done everything to make Harrison what it is", I don't think so. They are not very trustworthy, and lack credibility in my humble opinion. Perhaps this hotel will actually get built, but I would not count on it. My opinion really does not matter, but whose opinion really matters are the banks that lend money. Clearly, the banks do not have confidence in Advance. Other builders are able to secure loans, why won't the banks lend to Advance ? That is the key question. I hope that Advance sells their land to an organization that will actually build.

Default Pile Driver Arrives at Advance/DeBartolo Site & More

It appears that a pile driver was delivered on Friday to the Advance/DeBartolo site to start construction on the two buildings that will take up all of Block E, across the street from the massive building going up on 1100 South Fifth.

1200 (?) South Fifth Street:

Some pics to add to what others have recently posted:

221 Bergen Street:

1100 South Fifth Street:

Just beyond the small parking lot in the foreground of the photo below is where the 5-story AC by Marriot hotel has been approved for construction, and just beyond 1100 South Fifth in this photo is where Advance/DeBartolo are apparently about to start construction on a full block of residential (two 6-story buildings with structured parking):

300 Middlesex:

(There hasn't been any progress on the wood paneling in weeks now, and granted that they have two of what appear to be samples up, I have a feeling that they may still be trying to figure out which way to go here. I hope they go with the light color - looks awesome with the contrast against the charcoal brick IMO):

Last edited by West Hudson; March 31st, 2015 at 12:33 AM.

Its simple. Advance is a LANDBANKING FRONT. They have built elsewhere, but in the case of Metro Newark (Harrison) , Advance is to Harrison what Berger properties is to Newark.

They got the redevelopment contract because they promised an entire downtown complete with towers,apartments,a cinema a "Hoboken on the Passaic called Harrison Metro Centre".
    The Advance "Metro Centre" got its height chopped to a max of 5 to 8 stories and got renamed "Riverbend".
    It was proposed as far back as 2005.
    THEY'VE BUILT NOTHING IN 15 years. Except for Panasonic (which was coming to Harrison w/or without Advance.)

Advance is a Harrison landbanker. They sold to Russo and Panasonic, but Advance HAS BUILT NOTHING THEMSELVES!!!
    The Advance Riverbend website is a joke with hand sketch colored simplistic renderings.
    They are landbankers who update their "master plan" to avoid Harrison legal action by impression of new proposals and "financing issues".