Page 79 of 114 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
    The building looks good but the streetscape is HORRIBLE as a result of the flood level problem. Frank E Rodgers is the main route for pedestrians to connect all of these varying developments, but it will be mostly lined with solid walls.
    Why don't the morons in town hall RAISE F E ROGERS BLVD AND REQUIRE flood prone side streets raised a few feet? Either way I think the flood design is overkill. Hurricane Sandy 's storm surge was never experienced before and no similar storm surge has happened in over 100 years.

Office towers should stay in the cities. Like Newark or Jersey City. They have all the infrastructure ALREADY in place to support this. Can you seriously imagine a tall office tower in Harrison? It'll be our own version of One Court Square. Every time I look at how out of place the building looks outside my office window I puke. P.S. Try getting on the PATH in Harrison during the rush hours. The last thing we need is more density when the PATH won't even support 10-car consists anywhere within the foreseeable future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    Will ANYTHING EVER RISE ABOVE 8 STORIES?
    ONE TOWER IS TOO MUCH?
    I thought this was supposed to be a commuter community with PATH as the anchor? That PATH allows high density High Rises. You encourage mass transit use. BUT NO!! Harrison wants parking requirements in a hypocritical craze to be a city yet not be a city.

Another view of the hotel can be found at http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2..._harrison.html

The folks on this forum crapped on the Element Hotel for having such an outrageous design. And now the AC is boring? It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by milesq View Post
    Advance put out a press release and rendering in connection with the AC hotel. It's looks good.

http://www.thenewsfunnel.com/press-release/advance-realty-announces-hotel-development-plans-riverbend-district-harrison-nj

I can't upload the image but it's at:

http://www.thenewsfunnel.com/sites/d...es/achotel.jpg

The Element hotel originally proposed a lot of pop-outs on its facade which was a really unique and good looking design. Unfortunately, the budget was cut, most of the pop-outs were removed, and fake shadows were painted on the facade, which just look awful! Add in the original problem of the clearly visible joints between the panels and you have a recipe for an awful design.

http://www.thenewsfunnel.com/sites/d...es/achotel.jpg

The AC Hotel can look good if they change the white panels for clean white plaster. Without the gaps and combined with the black highlighting between the windows, it would give it the modern urban European look that the chain is looking for. There is just no helping the base facade because of the blank walls that will be over 7 feet high on FE Rodgers Boulevard. Unless the vines cover it, we will be left with 100 feet of towering wall for as long as we can see into the future. The blank wall sabotages streetscapes with very little chance of remedying it. It does not appear that they will add any decorative elements or murals to it, and I highly doubt they ever will. Before it was out of crime-fear. Now it is because of flood plains.

The excitement over Harrison is fading for me.
    Mediocrity rules the day but, what do you expect when one or two companies want to build everything?
    Harrison commons/station and whatever future repackaging they come up with is BORING.
    The buildings are all lookalikes.
    Even Riverpark, once a refreshing touch went big box cookie cutter.
    Honestly, step back and look. Harrison Station, Riverbend , all whole city block occupying big boxes or "shoe boxes".
    Newark had the bayonne box but Harrison has the gigantic shoe box. Will ANYTHING EVER RISE ABOVE 8 STORIES?
    ONE TOWER IS TOO MUCH?
    I thought this was supposed to be a commuter community with PATH as the anchor? That PATH allows high density High Rises. You encourage mass transit use. BUT NO!! Harrison wants parking requirements in a hypocritical craze to be a city yet not be a city.
    The vision for Harrison is for the town to become like Hoboken or Montclair. A 'suburban city' with relatively high density but not super-high density. Alot of trees, grass and open space. I think I speak for alot of my neighbors when I say leave the highrises for Jersey City (and Newark).

As far as the need for parking is concerned, I think you'd be very surprised by how many people who live here actually work in the suburbs, and these people need cars to get to jobs in Parsippany, Cranford, Bedminster, Morristown, and other towns. Hence why the town is requiring a decent amount of parking in new buildings.

Why don't the morons in town hall RAISE F E ROGERS BLVD AND REQUIRE flood prone side streets raised a few feet?
    LOL!!! I really hope you are kidding here...
    Last edited by West Hudson; May 19th, 2015 at 08:53 PM.

Forum Veteran

There should be parking restrictions and congestion pricing charges for the Major roadways during rush hr...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    There should be parking restrictions and congestion pricing charges for the Major roadways during rush hr...
    What this town really needs is to do is get the new I-280 Interchange project accelerated. That will make for a super-efficient flow of commuter traffic into and out of Harrison so that FER and First Street don't look like parking lots during rush hour and Red Bulls games.

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    I disagree. Middle Class New Jerseyans pay far too much taxes and fees now. We don't need this social engineering.The reason that the roads are crowded during rush hours is that people are going to work and the employer in most instances controls the tours of duty. I am happily retired so this issue does not impact me personally. Governments at all levels in New Jersey need to do more with the taxes and fees they receive now. Is there anybody, who believes that the Port Authority of NJ/NJ is a bastion of efficiency ?

I like the design of the Element Hotel. I am more disappointed with the design of this proposed hotel after reading your post. I thought that the panels were metallic. Now I am reading that they are ugly cement blocks, yuck. I agree with West Hudson that this design is really dated and uninspiring. I hope this project never gets off the ground, but it will probably get built.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    I disagree. Middle Class New Jerseyans pay far too much taxes and fees now. We don't need this social engineering.The reason that the roads are crowded during rush hours is that people are going to work and the employer in most instances controls the tours of duty. I am happily retired so this issue does not impact me personally. Governments at all levels in New Jersey need to do more with the taxes and fees they receive now. Is there anybody, who believes that the Port Authority of NJ/NJ is a bastion of efficiency ?
    If you want to have a car , live in the suburbs....the Urbanized parts of NJ are not well built for cars... , but you could easily live without one....

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    I like the design of the Element Hotel. I am more disappointed with the design of this proposed hotel after reading your post. I thought that the panels were metallic. Now I am reading that they are ugly cement blocks, yuck. I agree with West Hudson that this design is really dated and uninspiring. I hope this project never gets off the ground, but it will probably get built.
    I think that the media blitz for this project was just an attempt to drum up investor interest - I have a feeling that this is why no construction start or anticipated opening date are mentioned in any of the articles. So hopefully, there's time to revise the design...if you look at AC by Marriott hotels in other parts of the country, many of them have really dramatic architecture, which is what alot of us were hoping for with this one. Harrison is 20 mins from one of the top three cities of the world that millennials want to visit (the others being Paris and London); why shouldn't the proposed design live up to that honor? Here are a few AC by Marriott designs from other parts of the world (compared to these, our proposal is pathetic)...(btw, for the record, I think the Element has been a fantastic addition to Harrison):

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/314641...7-494-45-0.png

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac_hotel_alicante_by_marriott_photo4_alicante_spain.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	18142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	153054409.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	18143  
    Last edited by West Hudson; May 20th, 2015 at 08:05 PM.

I like it. It only takes up one corner of the entire block (maybe a quarter of it?). It's nice to have blocks that are made up of buildings with different uses, facades, and characteristics (those giant, symmetrical, monotonous rental buildings are pretty boring).

I agree with you about having the block broken up a bit, but I think something like this (or any of the above) would be a more appropriate look & feel:

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/314641...7-494-45-0.png

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Here are a few AC by Marriott designs from other parts of the world (compared to these, our proposal is pathetic)...(btw, for the record, I think the Element has been a fantastic addition to Harrison):
    The Harrison one looks better than all of these. The first few are downright awful.

I don't really get the discussion. The hotel looks fine. It fits in just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    The Harrison one looks better than all of these. The first few are downright awful.

I don't really get the discussion. The hotel looks fine. It fits in just fine.
    My point is that this is a rare opportunity to help forge an identity for the town. Element makes a statement, so why can't this? To me it looks like a building you could see in just about any other suburban town. This is a very high-profile location because of its proximity to the PATH & Northeast Corridor, as well as Red Bull Arena, and also because of its frontage along FER (a 4-lane major thoroughfare). There's an extremely limited number of sites in Harrison with these valuable characteristics. Why not put something unique there that people passing through would remember?