Page 81 of 114 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1708

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Thumbs up LampWorks Construction Begins

Passed by the site at the intersection of Bergen and Fifth streets and the fences are all covered with construction screens and a few pieces of equipment have arrived; also all vehicles have been removed from the parking lot diagonally across the street (next to Advance Auto Parts) that will house a 5-story parking structure. This project adds another ~300 apartments to the construction boom and Harrison now has almost 1,500 units under construction...I believe we now have more apartments under construction than Hoboken, Morristown, New Brunswick, and Hackensack combined!

Here's a rendering of the project:

Interesting note: Across from the LampWorks site, there's a sizable one-story building for sale. This could easily be demo'd and replaced with a companion project to LampWorks.
    Last edited by West Hudson; July 1st, 2015 at 03:21 AM.

Thumbs up Russo Development Wants to Build Waterfront Community on Passaic Ave

In today's online edition of the Observer, there's an article about how Russo Development wants to create a new waterfront community on the former Spartec site (demolished about a year ago) and American Strip Steel site (still standing). The land is adjacent to the upcoming L.A. Fitness location and across the street from the Shoprite supermarket and (under construction) BJ's Wholesale Club. Looks like a suburban-ish design with each of the four buildings directly on Passaic Ave (so quite a long stretch of land along that main artery would be filled in with new construction). I like it.

Link to the article with rendering: http://www.theobserver.com/2015/06/n...r-passaic-ave/

...and also in the Observer today, it is reported that the developer behind BJ's wants to start erecting steel for the new store next month after demo of the former factory buildings is completed on an accelerated schedule.
    Last edited by West Hudson; July 1st, 2015 at 10:20 PM.

West Hudson, this is excellent news. This Lamp Works looks like a fabulous residential complex. I like the idea of using some of the old structures. In 2010, the population of Harrison was 13,620, and is now being estimated at 15,227. If the building construction goes according to the current plans, by the 2020 Census, Harrison will be one of the fastest growing New Jersey Communities as an increase in the percentage of population. I read on NJ.com a couple of months ago that Hudson County is the fastest growing county in New Jersey. It is wonderful to see these old industrial areas (brown fields) being converted to residential properties with a prosperous, ethnically diverse population.

Regarding the Kearny Development, this young guy Ed Russo is certainly a mover and shaker in the development of large parcels of West Hudson and South Bergen. It will certainly be interesting to see the projects he builds in the comong years. We are lucky that he has chisen to develop in this area.

Forum Veteran

Harrison update from Friday

221 Bergen

Harrison Rising - 221 Bergen Street
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

1100 FER South

Harrison Rising
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

300 Middlesex

Harrison Rising
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

New PATH Station

New Harrison PATH Station Under Construction
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

Nice update. They've deviated a bit from the two renderings released for Harrison Commons Building 3...going with a wood paneling on the main street -facing facade. Looks edgy, which I guess is what they're going for with that neighborhood. I'm wondering whether the retail base will feature the metallic paneling or the wood. All the areas that they've done in metallic paneling are still bare at street level as if they're also going to do something different in those locations...maybe a mix of wood & metallic paneling?

btw - I noticed that a Gramercy demo excavator was delivered to the southeast corner of the station at some point today. Seems as if they are finally going to tear down that cluster of warehouses!

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Nice update. They've deviated a bit from the two renderings released for Harrison Commons Building 3...going with a wood paneling on the main street -facing facade. Looks edgy, which I guess is what they're going for with that neighborhood. I'm wondering whether the retail base will feature the metallic paneling or the wood. All the areas that they've done in metallic paneling are still bare at street level as if they're also going to do something different in those locations...maybe a mix of wood & metallic paneling?

btw - I noticed that a Gramercy demo excavator was delivered to the southeast corner of the station at some point today. Seems as if they are finally going to tear down that cluster of warehouses!
    West New York, I was talking to a guy who is working on this building. He told me that none of the appartments are going to have bath tubs, only showers. I thought this was rather strange, but maybe this is the current way of doing things for some buildings.

I like the way that the "cookie factory" building on Bergen Street is coming along. I think that it is very good that these buidings have some character and interesting design features.

Yes - I like the Cookie Factory building too. Really dramatic architecture with a good color palette.

It's sounding more and more like the apartments at Harrison Commons Building 3 are micro-units. Showers obviously have a much smaller footprint than bath tubs, so that would make sense for micro units. They've crammed literally 20% more apartments into a slightly smaller space (one full city block) than they did in Building 1, so it sounds like they are really trying to max that site out. I'm all for it since the retail in that neighborhood needs the density.

Speaking of retail...when is this town going to get some night life?! I don't see how we're going to attract the Hoboken clientele without nightlife geared toward that market segment. Green Room is the only bar near the redevelopment zone and I feel like it's more of a college bar and not the type of place someone in their mid 20's to mid 30's is going to want to hang out. And we do have the bier garten at the Spanish Pavilion but the neighborhood needs more density to make that place a thriving success (come on Hornrock - let's get that Harrison Ave building built!).
    Last edited by West Hudson; July 16th, 2015 at 08:46 PM.

West Hudson, you " hit the nail on the head." Since I am retired, I have been spending a great deal of time at the River Edge Swimming Pool, and have been talking with many residents of RiverPark and Waters Edge about Harrison and the town's developments. Everyone is happy about the current development, but a bit concerned about parking and traffic management issues resulting from the construction etc. Everyone I talk to wants some high quality fine dining restaurants to open ASAP. People also want some salad restaurants and ethnic food places too. People would also like to see a Trader Joe's or similar grocery chain store open. Folks want some high end coffee cafes. Finally, residents would like some modern, sylish bars too. The current bars in town seem to be a legacy of the old industrial base. Certainly, with the burgeoning ethnic Chinese and Indian Populations, we should see more Chinese Restaurants , and hopefully some Indian Restaurants.
    Last edited by dennis200dz; July 22nd, 2015 at 09:31 PM.

Default Appalling Environment

This evening at around 7:15 PM, I left my unit to pick up a package at 301 Dey Street. It was quite windy. As I walked down Warren towards the corner of Dey, I saw a large dust and dirt cloud. As I approached Dey, I could see rivers of dirt and dust literally flowing down the street. This disgusting environmental mini disaster was caused by the conditions at the lumber yard. I have heard that the dust has caused manfunctions in some units HVAC Systems, and caused some residents allergic respiratory problems and other medical problems. To me, the lumber yard along with Miles Kelly are the neighbors from hell. I can't wait for HornRock to take over this property, and begin construction of the new development. I wonder if anyone has any news on the status of this construction project ? In the meantime, the Town of Harrison should take remedial actions on these issues. Folks this is 2015, I felt like I was in a John Steinbeck novel about the Oklahoma Dust Bowl of the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    West Hudson, you " hit the nail on the head." Since I am retired, I have been spending a great deal of time at the River Edge Swimming Pool, and have been talking with many residents of RiverPark and RiverEdge about Harrison and the town's developments. Everyone is happy about the current development, but a bit concerned about parking and traffic management issues resulting from the construction etc. Everyone I talk to wants some high quality fine dining restaurants to open ASAP. People also want some salad restaurants and ethnic food places too. People would also like to see a Trader Joe's or similar grocery chain store open. Folks want some high end coffee cafes. Finally, residents would like some modern, sylish bars too. The current bars in town seem to be a legacy of the old industrial base. Certainly, with the burgeoning ethnic Chinese and Indian Populations, we should see more Chinese Restaurants , and hopefully some Indian Restaurants.
    Rome wasn't build in a day, but they were laying bricks every hour. Harrison has a long way to go to get there.

Could you comment your experience living at River Edge? We considered moving there last summer, but decided to delay our return to Harrison by a few years. Thanks.

Default Meeting Room to Bar - Element Westin

I passed by the Element Westin Hotel today, and noticed a yellow construction notice permit on the Somerset side of the building. It stated that a meeting room is being converted into a bar. I saw construction workers working on the conversion. The meeting room has its own entrance on Somerset Street, so the bar will be able to be accessed without going through the Element Hotel. This is good news. A nice bar will be nice for guests of the Element Hotel and residents too.

Sleiveen, I do not live at Waters Edge ( I referred to it erroneously in my post as River Edge), but rather RiverPark. I own my own unit rather than rent. I am very happy here. The pool, fitness room and other facilities at Waters Edge that RiverPark Residents get to use are excellent. I look forward to watching Harrison develop in the coming years. I do note that 2015 will go down in the town's history as a watershed year in its development.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    I passed by the Element Westin Hotel today, and noticed a yellow construction notice permit on the Somerset side of the building. It stated that a meeting room is being converted into a bar. I saw construction workers working on the conversion. The meeting room has its own entrance on Somerset Street, so the bar will be able to be accessed without going through the Element Hotel. This is good news. A nice bar will be nice for guests of the Element Hotel and residents too.
    This is really good news - glad to hear and can't wait to check it out!

sleiveen - the Water's Edge amenities are really nice - developer did a fantastic job and used really good materials. Pool has granite edging and paver brick patio, really comfortable lounge chairs, tables with large umbrellas. Gym actually feels like a gym and has a good sound system. There are two wet bars (one in game room and one in grand room) with granite countertops and flat panel TV's. One of those fancy wide fireplaces in the grand room. And fire pit is a nice touch, close to the water with comfortable chairs. I know I sound like a salesperson here, but I am extremely happy with how the amenities turned out.

Default Real Estate Values at RiverPark

There have been some unit sales at RiverPark recently and prices are apparently on the rise. There have been units puchased at the full price that have sold at or near the original purchase price. Hopefully, this trend will continue, and in the future units bought at list price will be sold at a profit. Of course, those who bought at a steep discount are sitting pretty.

There is a Realtor at Coccia Realty named Helen Rzegocki who apparently has a list of people who are interested in buying units at RiverPark. Right now, RiverPark is by far the largest souce of modern town houses and condos in Harrison. West Hudson, I sent you a private message on this topic.

It is great to see how quickly demolition is taking place behind the new Fields Building. Also, the construction of the new condos at Harrison and First Streets are advancing at a fast pace.

Default Harrison Avenue News

Well, it looks like the longest construction project in the history of Harrison is nearly complete. I am of course speaking of the small residential and commercial structure next to the Harrison Senior Citizen Center. It looks like finishing touches are being put on the building. I am glad that this building is finally being completed.

Six to eight months ago, there was a very serious fire at a two family residence on South Fifth Street, close to the corner of Harrison Avenue. The two family house was demolished a couple of months ago. There is a piece of heavy equipment at the site, and I saw the signs of fresh digging. I am wondering if a new two family is going to be constructed at the site soon?

On the corner of Harrison Avenue and Shuyler Avenues, I see that a construction temporary fence is surrounding the closed Muffler Business. I am wondering if the old structure is going to be demolished, and a new building going up at this site ? I think that the site is in Harrison, but it could be in Kearny.

Finally, many will recall the very serious fire on Bergen Street during the Winter that destroyed the warehouse/factory. The site has been cleared, and I note that there is a Porto Potty on the site. Is there going to be building at the site soon, curious minds want to know ? Maybe, it is wishful thinking on my part, but wouldn't it be logical for the Cookie Factory Site folks to build some more residential units next to their original construction site. This seems logical to me.