Page 82 of 115 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1713

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by dennis200dz View Post
    Mayor Fife told him that contracts had been signed on the HornRock Development Properties and that construction should begin in the coming months. The HornRock Development is the lumber yard and used car lot properties on Dey Street and Harrison Avenue.
    Do we know what the final plan is for the HornRock site? Please tell me it's not that horrendous 1980's Miami Vice looking building they proposed a few years back. I have no opposition to a mid or highrise building there but the design looked like they pulled it out of a drawer from a defunct architectural firm, blew off the 30 years of dust and presented it to the planning board.

Thumbs up

I spoke yesterday at the WatersEdge Pool to a gentleman who is on the Harrison Zoning Board. He told me that he had a recent discussion with Mayor Fife about Harrison Development. Mayor Fife told him that contracts had been signed on the HornRock Development Properties and that construction should begin in the coming months. The HornRock Development is the lumber yard and used car lot properties on Dey Street and Harrison Avenue.

The Mayor also discussed the development of the chemical plant ( next to WatersEdge). The Mayor wants to see development occur on this very large site ASAP, but Mayor Fife has an interesting vision for the property. The Mayor would like to see part of the chemical plant land be developed as a Green Acres Funded Park. Kudos to Mayor Fife, I think this is a wonderful idea. A water front park is an excellent idea. Mixed development makes sense to me. The Mayor's great personal interest in this particular development ; hopefully, will help to get things moving along.
    The news about the Hornrock site is definitely good news to hear. And it makes sense given that Top Car has been basically shut down for several months now (as if the property had been turned over to a new owner). I agree with msands that the proposal from a few years ago was a monstrosity; if they go for the advertised unit count (270 rental apartments), we are talking about a fairly tall structure (15 stories?), so it would be nice to see some setbacks (in the very least after the bottom 4 stories) to blend in with the Riverpark and Water's Edge buildings.

As for the Phase III site at Water's Edge, about a year or so ago the town applied for a Green Acres grant from the federal government, and I think that was for land adjacent to the rec field that currently stands at the Geo Chem site. So if all of that land was combined, that would create a sizable waterfront park, overlooking the most diversified and densest part of Newark's skyline. Sounds like a great plan. The Pegasus Group showed a large waterfront park at the foot of its Harrison Commons master plan (same location), so maybe the town will ask each developer to contribute to that project.

Default Town of Harrison Municipal Public Access Plan

While surfing the web today, I came across the quite new Town of Harrison Municipal Public Access Plan that was dated March 2015. I perused the report briefly , and I plan to go back and read the entire report
    which is some 60 pages with attachments. This report will be of interest to anyone seeking more information on the riverfront walkway in Harrison. The surprise for me is that apparently the walkway is going to be a lot longer than I originally thought. It will when completed go from the East Newark Border to near the river side of PATH Train Maintenance Facility. To find the report just go on Google and search for "Town of Harrison Municipal Public Access Plan. " When completed, the Harrison Walkway will be great for walkers , joggers, parents with strollers etc. Seeing the sunset from the river bend under the right conditions could be quite spectacular.

Speaking of the Passaic River, I saw something on the Passaic River during the weekend that I had never seen before real tour type boats. I have seen rowers in small boats on the river. There were two boats traveling close together , and the boats had those glass windows for viewing and probably each held 25 or more people. I am going to try to find out who was running these boats. It would be great to see Harrison Development from a river perspective plus seeing other communities along the river. Could we see some public or private transportation by river boat in the future ? Could we see the Passaic River used for other purposes ?

Quote Originally Posted by milesq View Post
    Do we know what the final plan is for the HornRock site? Please tell me it's not that horrendous 1980's Miami Vice looking building they proposed a few years back. I have no opposition to a mid or highrise building there but the design looked like they pulled it out of a drawer from a defunct architectural firm, blew off the 30 years of dust and presented it to the planning board.
    milesq, you are asking the question that everyone wants to know. What does the latest design for HornRock looks like ? I do not think that a recent design has been issued. Here are my thoughs. I would not be surprised if the builder and architect are influenced by other buildings going up in Harrison. If you build a boring building, you are going to be at a disadvantage with your compeitors. According to web articles, the buiding (s) were to have 15,000 square feet of retail. For my money, the most interesting architectually totally new building going up, is the Advance - De Bartolo being built on FER Blvd next to the Russo Vermella Buliding.

Default Chemical Factory Being Torn Down Today

I arrived at the WatersEdge Swimming Pool at 1:00 PM. I signed in the log book and turned around. I could not believe what I was seeing. A large chunk of the Chemical Factory has already been torn down. As I speak, the sructure closest to the river is being demolished. Is this great or what ? Another Harrison eyesore going down. As I have been saying all year, 2015 is a seminal or watershed year in the development of Harrison. It is sad that Mayor Raymond McDonough died last year and did not live to see all of the development in town. This paves the way for Millenium Phase 3. I wonder when the designs will be imade public ? I wonder if all of the units will be rental or some will be owned.

Thumbs up Harrison Construction Update

221 Bergen Street
    I love the detail on this building. On one or both adjacent blocks on Bergen Street, I feel that an edgy building like Blu in Asbury Park would be a perfect complement to this historic look.

330 Cifelli Drive

1100 FER South

200 Cifelli

All that's left of the block of dilapidated buildings at this point is the building shown below:

(for comparison):

(for comparison):

200 Somerset

800 (?) FER South
    Of the 3 large warehouse structures, only the skeleton of one remains and should be gone by the end of the coming week (sorry for the poor image quality).

400 Dey Street
    Here's what remains of the building that dennis200dz refers to above. This is the first one being torn down in the cluster (at least one of the buildings is still in operation, so we'll see in the coming weeks if the entire complex is coming down or just a few of the buildings for now).

Last edited by West Hudson; August 2nd, 2015 at 11:18 PM.

Default Cheminal Factory Building 1

It is 1:00 PM on Monday, August 3rd, and Building 1 of the Chemical Factory has been completely demolished. All that remains is to remove the remaining demolished materials. I, along with other people were amazed at how quickly the building was demolished, but should we have been surprised ? We are use to the much older buildings in Harrison that were built like fortresses many years ago. These buildings take a great effort and a great deal of time to tear down. Chemical Factory Building 1 looked to me like an early or mid-fifties building. This has me thinking, I hope that more of the older "fortress like building" can be preserved. As we build modern, let us preserve some of our past. I like that some of the developers are renovating and using some of the older structures, but I would like to see more use of then older buildings. Does anyone agree with me, or do you want only new construction ?

It is 1:00 PM on Monday, August 3rd, and Building 1 of the Chemical Factory has been completely demolished. All that remains is to remove the remaining demolished materials. I, along with other people were amazed at how quickly the building was demolished, but should we have been surprised ? We are use to the much older buildings in Harrison that were built like fortresses many years ago. These buildings take a great effort and a great deal of time to tear down. Chemical Factory Building 1 looked to me like an early or mid-fifties building. This has me thinking, I hope that more of the older "fortress like building" can be preserved. As we build modern, let us preserve some of our past. I like that some of the developers are renovating and using some of the older structures, but I would like to see more use of then older buildings. Does anyone agree with me, or do you want only new construction ?
    I'm in favor of architecturally significant buildings being preserved. I like the BRG project alot - the scale fits with the scale of the new mega-developments (a small town density with a bit of a big city feel) and the buildings are integrated into the street grid as they stand. I think the "Extra Space Storage" building on Harrison Ave (near the Elks Lodge) is another good building that should be preserved & converted. And there are a few larger historic buildings toward the eastern end of town (by Supor Blvd) that should definitely be preserved. I'd also love to see that massive warehouse by the stadium/Panasonic area converted into a giant recreation & entertainment facility with indoor pool, track, rock wall, etc., but right now it's slated to become a robotic garage.

Speaking of entertainment venues, has anyone heard any more news on Red Bulls' plan to purchase and develop additional land around the stadium? I remember reading/hearing a few years ago that they were considering building other entertainment/dining options near RBA and hosting an ice skating rink in the stadium itself during winters.

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    I'm in favor of architecturally significant buildings being preserved. I like the BRG project alot - the scale fits with the scale of the new mega-developments (a small town density with a bit of a big city feel) and the buildings are integrated into the street grid as they stand. I think the "Extra Space Storage" building on Harrison Ave (near the Elks Lodge) is another good building that should be preserved & converted. And there are a few larger historic buildings toward the eastern end of town (by Supor Blvd) that should definitely be preserved. I'd also love to see that massive warehouse by the stadium/Panasonic area converted into a giant recreation & entertainment facility with indoor pool, track, rock wall, etc., but right now it's slated to become a robotic garage.

Speaking of entertainment venues, has anyone heard any more news on Red Bulls' plan to purchase and develop additional land around the stadium? I remember reading/hearing a few years ago that they were considering building other entertainment/dining options near RBA and hosting an ice skating rink in the stadium itself during winters.
    West Hudson, I agree completely with everything you wrote in your first paragraph. I am extremely disappointed to hear that the large warehouse by the stadium and Panasonic Building is to be a large parking garage. Let us hope the developers change their minds, or perhaps the Town Leaders will want more than a parking garage in this rather dramatic older buiding.

Regarding your second paragraph, I remember hearing or reading of simliar plans of the Red Bulls Organization. I would add that I heard a couple of years ago that the Red Bulls were going to build one of those multi level parking garages. I do not know what happened to the Red Bull Plans. Perhaps, the Red Bulls are waiting to see if development is really going to take off in Harrison. Perhaps thw Red Bulls Organization is still upset over losing the property tax case, and is trying to teach the town a lesson.

On the humorous side, I found it rather amusing to see a Town of Harrison Truck driving along the Passaic River Walkway today carrying an old refrigerator. I saw this from the pool, where else ? Luckily, there were no people walking along the walkway at the time. I wonde what this was about, LOL.
    Last edited by dennis200dz; August 4th, 2015 at 02:44 AM.

Default Heller Development - What is going on ?

I do not know if this issue was discussed previously on this website blog, but there are many new folks who are following WNY Harrison Redevelopment now, and many of them are swimmers. This huge piece of property is on Frank E Rodgers BLVD across from the Harrison Commons Apartment Building, Element Hotel , Fields Building under construction etc. Part of the site is being used for the new Path Harrison Station. Many will recall the herculean effort that it took to demolish the buildings on the old Hartz Site that was bought by Heller Development. Some background information, Hartz signed a consent decree some years ago with the State of New Jersey to environmentally clean up the site. When Hartz sold the property to Heller Development, included in the sales contract was a provision that Hartz needed to fulfill the obligations of the consent decree , and clean up the Hartz Site. Hartz has failed to live up to the terms of the consent decree and sales contract. Not surprisingly, Heller Development tired of the failure of Hartz to clean up the site. In 2014, Heller Development filed suit in NJ State Court to force the clean-up. Court cases in NJ can take many years until resolution. I am not hopeful that development wil begin on this 14 ? acre site anytime soon. This is extremely disappointing.

This begs the question of how is the PATH Station being built on a small part of this site right now. Who knows ? Perhaps PATH did the necessary environmental remediation on their parcel of land themselves, and intend to seek reimbursement from Hartz. Perhaps, the PATH Parcel of land did not require an environmental remediation. This is an interesting issue. I am just glad that the Path Station is being built. Sometimes it is best not to ask to many questions too. This is after all Hudson County.

Forum Veteran

PA does whatever it wants....

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    PA does whatever it wants....
    I think that the residents of Fort Lee would surely agree with you. I could go on and on about the Port Authority,but I like to keep my comments on this site positive. This is a happy blog about great things happening in Harrison.

Default HornRock - What is in a name ?

I do not know whether HornRock has a name already for their new development ( old used car lot and lumber yard sites). Can I make a couple of suggestions ? I am a history buff. I have a couple of ideas. Taft by the River, Taft Riverside. Beehive Riverside, Beehive Park, Beehive by the River. Of course, I am referring to the visit a little more than a century ago of President William Howard Taft to Harrison. President Taft proudly called Harrison a beehive of industry. The beehive is on the Town of Harrison Seal. Anyone have any names that they would like to suggest ?

By the way, several months ago, I read some fascinating historical information about the Town of Harrison. At one time, Harrison was indeed the beehive of industry that President Taft described. Harrison had 35 plus bars, taverns etc. to accommodate the thirsts of the factory workers. This is quite remarkable when one considers that Harrison is only a little over one square mile in size. Harrison's industrial past, should be a source of pride to all. During World War 2, the factories worked on 24/7 schedules. The website article stated that on a weekday during the war, a staggering 80,000 individuals worked one of more shifts in town. Many of these individuals were women who got the job done. Many of the unsung heros of the war years, were the women who "manned the factories." We owe these wonderful and resourceful ladies a debt of gratitude. I am a bit biased in this regard. Although, not in Harrison, my mother was one of the factory workers during the war. As Harrison builds, let us not forget the proud history of the town. Let us incorporate history in the new development, by using historical names, and by renovating some of the older structures. History matters.

Default 221bergen.com

Today, I saw the large signs being hung on the 221 Bergen Street Buildings. The signs state "luxury rentals" and provide the website: 221bergen.com. I went on the partially developed website. Website visitors can provide their email addresses to obtain information on the rentals in the coming months. There is a bit of interesting information on the website. The website states that rentals will begin at $1450 a month. I assume this is the price of a studio apartment rental. After providing my name and email address, the page that came up showed a very attractive young couple. Clearly, the marketing campaign will be geared towards Millenials etc. This is a significantly lower studio rental rate than WatersEdge. Perhaps, it is just a teaser rate. Interesting 221 Bergen appears to have HVAC Units rather than the individual room heating/air conditioning units of WatersEdge. Let the rentals competition begin !

It appears that all the new rental buildings are aiming for October openings. Vermella Harrison and 330 Cifelli both have teaser websites up at the moment but neither of those offer details on rents (or anything else). 221 Bergen will have a gym and maybe an entertainment room and/or business lounge, but it doesn't have a private landscaped courtyard or a pool, while all the other new buildings have both of these. And I believe higher-end finishes/appliances were used in Water's Edge, 330 Cifelli, and Vermella. Also, the location doesn't really compare with other developments as it's right next to the (very noisey) Morris-Essex rail line and Rt 280, and several blocks from the town's major assets (waterfront walkway and PATH station). So that rate of $1450/month makes sense (keep in mind that's a starting/entry rate presumably for the smallest studio; studios at other buildings start around $1500 or $1550, and one bedrooms seem to be averaging around $1900/month).
    Last edited by West Hudson; August 7th, 2015 at 10:21 PM.