Page 93 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1712

Thread: Harrison Redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Meh, I was born in Bayonne, raised in Paterson, and now live in Jersey City (after stints in Manhattan and Brooklyn). I've never owned a car in my life. I know plenty of other urban New Jerseyans who didn't either. Paterson and Jersey City especially have some of the highest rates of transit and walking commuting to work in the nation.

Anyway, these Harrison developers seem to be going for the NYC exile crowd --- people who are looking for amenities and work in Manhattan, but can't afford a Manhattan apartment but still want to be near mass transit---not the car-addicted suburban Jersey crowd.

That said, even if they HAD to build parking, they could incorporate ground-level retail instead of making ground-level parking dead zones so close to the train station. And they could've put the parking lots in the periphery, not right next to the train.
    If the rail was below-grade, retail and/or residential next to the station would've worked well. But since you have the 24/7 PATH (which has a loud recorded announcement at each station stop) above ground, as well as the NE Corridor (which hosts very loud Acela trains) running late into the evening hours, residential and retail wouldn't work. There would be too much vibration to make an experience at a restaurant enjoyable and any residents in a building near the station wouldn't want to live there too long; I have a feeling that this is why the Element went in on the Harrison Commons parcel closest to the station, and why the Marriott AC is going in on one of the closest parcels in Riverbend. The above-ground parking structures serve as buffers to shield the residential/retail areas from the noise of the rail lines (which actually happens to be the busiest stretch of rail in the country).

Come on, Hamilton. I'm 38 years old and I never had a drivers license. Trust me, I get it. That being said, I live in a part of Harrison only a 10 minute walk from the PATH station. But a much longer walk to Shoprite, Kmart, Walmart (the bus to Walmart was discontinued by NJ Transit), etc. That's why my wife uses the Zipcars located inside the Harrison Station parking deck. Let's please be real here and stop kidding ourselves. Harrison is not NYC. And for every 1 person you know in urban NJ that doesn't own a car, I can name 6 who do.

And West Hudson you're right, I forgot about the flood zones.
    Meh, I was born in Bayonne, raised in Paterson, and now live in Jersey City (after stints in Manhattan and Brooklyn). I've never owned a car in my life. I know plenty of other urban New Jerseyans who didn't either. Paterson and Jersey City especially have some of the highest rates of transit and walking commuting to work in the nation.

Anyway, these Harrison developers seem to be going for the NYC exile crowd --- people who are looking for amenities and work in Manhattan, but can't afford a Manhattan apartment but still want to be near mass transit---not the car-addicted suburban Jersey crowd.

That said, even if they HAD to build parking, they could incorporate ground-level retail instead of making ground-level parking dead zones so close to the train station. And they could've put the parking lots in the periphery, not right next to the train.

Quote Originally Posted by section08 View Post
    This is still NJ... and New Jerseyans hang on to their cars (like Texans hang on to their guns) to get around everywhere else in NJ.
    Definitely not true. Of the 50 states, NJ has the second lowest auto ownership rate. Only NY State has a lower auto ownership rate.

Many NJ suburbs have lower auto ownership rates than anywhere else in the U.S., excepting NYC. So, for U.S. standards, NJ is notable for being very transit-oriented, rather than auto-oriented. It only feels auto oriented because Manhattan is next-door.

That's why my wife uses the Zipcars located inside the Harrison Station parking deck.
    Not to drift too far off topic, but we have Zipcar here? I had no clue! (though I do have a car...that I'd like to get rid of). I saw a futuristic electric BMW in the garage the other day when passing through...wonder if that's one of those cars (?).

ASchwarz,
    What is your source?
    I'll show you mine http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinform...ate.cfm?loc=nj
    And according to the US DOT which I linked above, NJ is near the middle with ~41% vehicle penetration. States out west have less.
    Hey if you can get around NJ without a car, more power to you. I have. But I can't say the same for folks who aren't lucky enough to live off a PATH or NJTransit stop. If they need to get into NYC then great, they're lucky. Anywhere else around NJ (a hospital maybe? big box store? italian rainbow donuts?) then they're SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    Definitely not true. Of the 50 states, NJ has the second lowest auto ownership rate. Only NY State has a lower auto ownership rate.

Many NJ suburbs have lower auto ownership rates than anywhere else in the U.S., excepting NYC. So, for U.S. standards, NJ is notable for being very transit-oriented, rather than auto-oriented. It only feels auto oriented because Manhattan is next-door.

Yes, man jump on it! The beamer you mentioned is "Mossiman" and he's very reliable!

Quote Originally Posted by West Hudson View Post
    Not to drift too far off topic, but we have Zipcar here? I had no clue! (though I do have a car...that I'd like to get rid of). I saw a futuristic electric BMW in the garage the other day when passing through...wonder if that's one of those cars (?).

ASchwarz,
    What is your source?
    Hey if you can get around NJ without a car, more power to you. I have. But I can't say the same for folks who aren't lucky enough to live off a PATH or NJTransit stop. If they need to get into NYC then great, they're lucky. Anywhere else around NJ (a hospital maybe? big box store? italian rainbow donuts?) then they're SOL.

Right, but we're talking about two lots within a stone's throw of a PATH stop here, in a development for which the PATH stop is a major marketing point. So car ownership among Monmouth County suburbanites is moot here.

Right, but we're talking about two lots within a stone's throw of a PATH stop here, in a development for which the PATH stop is a major marketing point. So car ownership among Monmouth County suburbanites is moot here.
    So is parking You may be book smart, but I take it you have never lived in Harrison. It's a struggle without a car. The town has just closed a nice-sized parking lot on my street to build an annex for Washington Middle School, and they are closing Farinha's Bakery on Harrison Ave to re-purpose the space into a Bank. And now the residents are up in arms about the already inadequate parking situation that these two projects will only make worse. Anyway I'm through bickering over a parking deck that does not apply to me whatsoever, they could burn down for all I care. But it's not good practice to ignore current and future residents' concerns about the parking situation; Some may need to visit Gammy in Monmouth County someday. Meanwhile, I'm just happy as a clam that the Dock bridge didn't get stuck this morning (watch as I jinx myself on my commute home)

A little off topic but has anyone noticed that unpleasant smell that permeates Harrison every few days? Smells like a rotten chemical type of aroma and seems to be stronger around the PATH area? Any ideas where it's coming from?

-----JT-----

Hey JT,
    Harrison always has a smell around this time every year. Sometimes it smells like sweet maple syrup. Other times like pure, raw sewage. But no one knows where it comes from (but officials say it's safe!? Must be Christine Todd Whitman at the helm of NJDEP). A few theories point to the industrial plants in Newark, others theorize the Kearny Marshes. One source says there's a slaughterhouse close enough for us to catch a whiff. But it's never really been pinpointed. Here's a few articles:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010900508.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/nyregion/06sweet.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/ny...nses.html?_r=1

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    A little off topic but has anyone noticed that unpleasant smell that permeates Harrison every few days? Smells like a rotten chemical type of aroma and seems to be stronger around the PATH area? Any ideas where it's coming from?

-----JT-----

It's right next to a 24/7 subway station to Manhattan.... two megablocks with parking at ground level is the best use that they can come up with?
    What's the point of a new high capacity PATH station if there aren't high rises? That's the problem with "too many eggs in one basket"..mediocrity.

You don't necessarily need high rises to have density. There will literally be thousands of apartments built within a half mile ("walkable") of the PATH as redevelopment continues. Buildings like URL and Vermella have over 400 apartments on a single block, which is pretty substantial density-wise. The town wants to keep height relatively low to create a suburban city identity where there's more of a community feel to the neighborhoods and you don't feel crowded in by highrises as you walk down the street. As far as the station is concerned, we have enough commuters from places like Bergen and Essex County who take PATH from here to justify the cost of the replacement; I'm sure they'll appreciate it as much as residents do.

Yes, man jump on it! The beamer you mentioned is "Mossiman" and he's very reliable!
    I might have to! Now don't tell me that the Aston Martin I saw in that same row of vehicles on Friday was also a rental...that would be ridiculous.

ASchwarz,
    What is your source?
    I'll show you mine http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinform...ate.cfm?loc=nj
    And according to the US DOT which I linked above, NJ is near the middle with ~41% vehicle penetration. States out west have less.
    That isn't a source. That link has nothing to do with what we're talking about, which is car ownership per household.

Again, NJ has the second lowest car ownership in the U.S., only behind NY State (because of NYC), per the Census.

This should be pretty obvious as the vast majority of NJ lives in Northern/Central NJ and those areas have communities with some of the lowest auto ownership rates in the U.S. Places like Jersey City, Newark, Hoboken, West New York, Paterson, have extremely low auto ownership for U.S. standards, lower than anywhere outside of NYC.

I mean, if you think Northern NJ is car-centric, I wonder what you would think of Texas, or Florida, or Ohio, where basically everyone has a car. Even Chicago, SF, Philly city propers have higher car ownership rates than the urban parts of Northern NJ.

Thumbs up More on One Harrison Avenue

The project was approved by the Hudson County Planning Board last month, and according to the below, construction is "imminent". In my opinion it looks like it fits better with the Riverpark townhomes than the Water's Edge buildings do since it has much greater articulation and variety in its facade design. The below elevation is as seen from Harrison Avenue (looking south). It appears that the architect of record is Minno & Wasko.

Interesting note: the building will feature Harrison's first dog spa.

------------------------------
    Excerpt:

One Harrison, Harrison, NJ: Hornrock is named the redeveloper of the site and is imminently finalizing approvals to build an approximately 300,000 sq. ft., 257-apartment unit development in Harrison, NJ, (a major transportation and commercial hub).

One Harrison Facade

The plan delineates various access points to NJ transit stations, (including a complimentary shuttle to the train station), maximizes water views, creates ample covered parking, and designates various street enhancements, like public waterfront leisure space, walking/jogging paths, street furniture, and street lighting.

One Harrison situated on the Passaic River

The development also includes approximately 260 covered parking spaces, a large lobby, and various concierge amenitites, including private pool and fitness club, lounge and reading areas, dog spa, BBQ decks, fire pits and gaming room. Sources for funding One Harrison are traditional bank financing and principals' equity.