Thread: WNY Nostalgia

Default WNY Nostalgia

If anyone is not aware of it, the internet archive site allows you to take a peek back in time at almost any website in the world (that they knew of).

With that in mind, here's a walk back in time to WNYs distant, simpler past:

Wired New York - as I first found it, in 2001. No forums yet I first stumbled on WNY trying to find a NY oriented site focused on architecture and new construction - and here it was - a site with the scoop on all the latest building projects (Trump World Tower, Conde Naste, Time Warner Center). Back then your choices were the well made, but infrequently updated City Review, or general Skyscraper pages - which tended to lag. Stumbling on WNY was a find for me.

---

WNY right after 9/11 - no doubt the first time many people visited was after the destruction of the WTC, looking for information on the complex.

---

The forums arrive in late 2001/early 2002, and WNYs homepage reverts to a more sedate look. The forums were a simpler place back then (only 169 members!) - pretty much just the Architecture pages. See a lot of familiar frequent posters though. And Rich Battista. Seemed he was everywhere back then... whatever happened?

---

The WNY forums just after the devastating server crash of October '02. If a lot of mid-2002 era forums seemed unfamiliar, it could be because a lot of threads from before then were lost. If you meander over to the WTC 7 thread, you can see my first post from a few weeks before.

---

A year later at the forums up to 706 members. I see some life outside of the Skyscrapers forum.

---

I see by November 2003, Edward has pretty much established the modern forum layout (more or less). Only 935 members - not much growth there...

---

Not much different in 2005
    - but now we're up to 3588 members! Interestingly even though there are 5x more members now, the number of active members is pretty much the same (449 vs 627).

---

My final stop on my short nostalgia tour - the forums just after the moment the most ever users were online (January 3rd, 2006). For the life of me, I can't tell what the heck was so interesting that everyone wanted to logon at once. Alas, it seems the forum links are flaky on this version - so perhaps it will have to remain a mystery (at least to me).

I came in about the time the forum went to the new format. I forget why, I will have to look through the archives!

Oh wow, I remember those dinky avatars, especially Edward's, NYatKNIGHT's and Stern's...and Grover for me .

Thanks for that, dtolman.

I remember that forum, back when I was a kid.

It sure was dinky.

So now I know my actual start date, March 20, 2002. We were all were assigned October 2002 after The Great Meltdown.

Before my time.

I have only been here 7 years!

On Sept 6, 2001, I had just returned to Florida from a trip to NYC and was looking for information on some places I had been when I discovered WNY. "Skyscraperpage.com" directed me to the site, so I joined and explored.

On Sept 9, 2001 I wrote my first post on "Wired", mostly about my first visit to the WTC observation deck not ten days earlier. Two days later I was bonded with the site. During the horrible weeks that followed, I gravitated to the computer a lot to find some on-time reports from the members who could get close to the WTC site, and I recall a lot of first-person accounts.

It was poignant to come across a lot of early TLOZ posts when I looked at the archived pages.

I have been an active member ever since '01, surviving the 2002 crash and the 2009 graphics changes. Time flies...

Any chance of summoning up a member's list from the pre-crash days???
    Last edited by Hof; January 7th, 2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    Any chance of summoning up a member's list from the pre-crash days???
    Don't see any way to automate it. But you can see all the member names listed in the posts - only around 175 or so at the time of the crash. Just at a glance on the first page or two I see:
    NYatKNIGHT
    Rich Battista
    Stern
    Kris
    enzo
    grimmy5
    Agglomeration
    ddny
    Edward
    Fabb
    maxinmilano
    Nostrathomas
    JMGarcia
    Derek2k3
    Gulcrapek

Forum Veteran

I remember when there were 180 members. Gaaaawwwsh.