Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: New York Giants

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    Yup. Not much else to say.

The explosiveness of Odell Beckham Jr or Zack Martin's QB protection prowess in the first round.... Did the Giants select correctly?

Speak amongst yourselves, cuz I am not quite sure myself.

Zack Martin is a great player, but much of the protection Romo got last night was the result of an inept Giant pass rush. Beckham is an amazing talent and a potential game changer. He is the kind of player that makes the other receivers on the team more effective.

That touchdown catch was amazing.

Martin may have more career longevity - line players often do, but normalizing for that, I will take Beckham.

Either player would have helped either team, but Beckham was absolutely the right choice for the Giants. Beckham (could be) a game changer - one player on a team that the opposition has to pay special attention to. LT was a game changer. Gronkowski is a game changer. Look at how different the Pats are with him healthy.

Offensive linemen, even great ones, are seldom game changers, given that the line has to work as a unit, more so than other groups. A defense can work around a great player on a lousy OL. That's what Martin would have been this year on the Giants.

Just the opposite, the Cowboys have a really good OL; besides Martin, there's Tyron Smith at LT.

The defensive line must also work as a unit, but sometimes one player can dominate. JJ Watt.

I agree that part of Martin's performance was magnified by the lack of a decent pass rush from the Giants. No OL on any team should be able to give the QB 9 seconds. The Eagles-Cowboys game shows a more realistic picture.

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Martin may have more career longevity - line players often do, but normalizing for that, I will take Beckham.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Either player would have helped either team, but Beckham was absolutely the right choice for the Giants. Beckham (could be) a game changer - one player on a team that the opposition has to pay special attention to.
    I agree that part of Martin's performance was magnified by the lack of a decent pass rush from the Giants. No OL on any team should be able to give the QB 9 seconds. The Eagles-Cowboys game shows a more realistic picture.
    The only reason this became a question in my mind is because they lost the game. But you are probably right, the loss probably signifies the Giants collective lack talent around OBJ than the individual impact of each respective 1st round pick.

Giants will interview former LB Pepper Johnson for their vacant defensive coordinator position.

It would be a step up for Johnson.

Some info on Johnson

Rex Ryan taking the HC job at Buffalo creates an interesting situation for the Giants.

Buffalo defensive coordinator is under contract. The Bills cannot stop him from pursuing a head coach position, but they can bar him from leaving for a coordinator job. If Ryan wants to bring in his own assistants, will the Bills let Schwartz interview elsewhere?

Mixed reports on Buffalo Bills defense under Rex Ryan

Very happy with the Vereen signing...super versatile player who should work well in the offensive set up.

I agree, this was a nice signing. But I was sorry to see Rolle go. He was up and down a bit last year, but he will be a real loss, especially in the locker room.

I always thought of him as a Ronnie Lott type.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718