Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Giants

Angry

The NY Jets mention was not appreciated .

Seriously, it was a great win for the Giants ... tough defense and special teams plays, and timely clutch throws by Eli who is emerging as a real force. Overall his numbers yesterday were not great, but he made some big plays when called upon to do so, despite being under duress all day. I think the Giants may have the balance necessary to beat the Pats who are pretty much a one-trick pony despite their impressive record and playoff performance. Should be a great game.

I definitely wasn't starting stuff, it was more a jab toward Rex than anything. There was one point late in the game, late 3rd quarter or 4th, where Eli was sacked by 3 or 4 49ers, with no other Giants around. Also, with about a minute left in the 4th, Eli threw the lamest limp pass I've ever seen him throw. They have to watch things like that or they're finished.

I'll be more than happy of the Giants play the same way in the SB as they did in SF.

My daughter's vocabulary has increased..."Howayabout those ****in' Giants!" lol

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    I definitely wasn't starting stuff,
    I know, I was just kidding.

This run at the end of the season signifies primarily 2 things:

The awakening of a defense that could be dominant and stop ANYBODY.

But most importantly, the legend of Eli....

I have been following sports since the early 90's, and I cannot remember feeling more pride, admiration, excitement and enjoyment from watching one player of the teams that I root for than I do when I watch Eli Manning. With ice in his veins, cool as a cucumber demeanor that he exudes, the clutchness of the great Mariano Rivera comes to mind. Eli is in perhaps in a more pivotal predicament as he is THE part that his team revolves around.

Watching him these past few weeks, and especially last week when it rained water, mud and defensive ends all over him in SF he showed the heart of a lion coming through with play after play. One that stands out in particular is a third down pass to Bradshaw down the left sideline with 3 49ers less than a half a step away from clobbering him.. I dont get how he got that throw off so accurately (00:38) .... what a tough SOB he is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elion.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	14806  
    Last edited by TREPYE; January 26th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

A few stadium facts seem to favor the Giants.

Field Turf has replaced Astroturf as the artificial playing surface of choice. Good traction benefits the Giants pass rush, and the ability of the offense to stretch out the defense.

Giants home field? Like Steelers fans, Giants fans travel well. On the secondary market, NFL Ticket Exchange data shows 23% of ticket sales from NY-NJ, 5% from MA. 7.5% from CT, but like Yankees-Red Sox, fan base is split. It's Peyton Manning's home field, so figure most of local attendance will stay with the family.

I think the big key to the game is the Pats O-line vs Giants D-line.

Giants have to worry about Pats DT Vince Wilfolk. Giants center David Bass has had a disappointing year.

Belichick may vary double coverage on Nicks and Cruz, leaving Manning to figure out which one will draw single coverage. Manningham a key?

Pats need Gronkowski to play well. I think he'll play, but not sure how effective in the 2nd half, after a 30 minute halftime.

Considering the ostentacious (and idiotic) overconfidnece of the Giants defensive unit has demonstrated this past week and the motivational value it serves to Brady and his offense, I expect this to be a high-scoring affair.

Good defense vs. an extra-motivated good offense
    Good/great offense vs. a very well coached mediocre defense

All I can hope for as a Giants fan right now is that Eli has the ball last withing a touchdowns' score...

Brady needs to be motivated for a Super Bowl game?

Thats the point, the defense should not be giving him any "extra" incentive than he already has. Competitors play better when they have something to prove.
    Last time he was the one who was overconfident, and I liked it better that way; with his "were only going to score 17 pts?" jab he threw at the defense it served as fodder for the Giants D-line to play wildly out of their minds on SB42. Watching the reruns of it, I cannot help to notice that that line out hustled and outhearted the Pats O-line all game long.

The pregame rhetoic role reversal is in place, lets see how it manifests itself tomorrow...

GO BIG BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    Thats the point, the defense should not be giving him any "extra" incentive than he already has.
    I would agree if this were a regular-season game, where a much better team might take an overmatched opponent lightly until the weaker team trash-talked; but this is a championship game. Both teams should expect to win going in.

Competitors play better when they have something to prove.
    I think that Brady and Belichick have a lot more riding on this game, despite their history.

Since they lost SB XLII to the Giants:
    Missed the playoffs in 2008-09.
    Knocked out in the first game by the Ravens in 2009-10. In Foxborough.
    Knocked out in the first game by the Jets in 2010-11. In Foxborough.

They haven't won a SB in seven years. Do they want to be knocked out again by a NY team?

Last time he was the one who was overconfident, and I liked it better that way; with his "were only going to score 17 pts?" jab he threw at the defense it served as fodder for the Giants D-line to play wildly out of their minds on SB42.
    Although a lot has been made of the similarities between the two seasons, the team matchups are very different.

In XLII, the Pats were clearly the better team. The Giants pulled off maybe the biggest upset in SB history. They played the best they could. The Pats didn't play badly; the game was in doubt until the end.

The teams are more evenly matched this time around, but I think the Giants are the better team. Don't let the line fool you. Sometimes they are "technically" set, but ultimately they are set to divide the betting money equally on both sides. There's a lot of casual betting on the SB, and at first glance, #1 seed and 10 in a row look impressive. But if you take a closer look at the end of the season and the playoffs...

While the Giants had five must-win games in a row, the Pats ended their season coasting at Denver, home against Miami, and home against Buffalo. A bye in the first round, then Denver again at home. The only notable game they've played was the AFC championship, and the Ravens handed them the win.

Tomorrow is their first game outside Foxborough since Dec 15.

Watching the reruns of it, I cannot help to notice that that line out hustled and outhearted the Pats O-line all game long.
    Although the Pats were a better team, the 2007-08 Giants had one of the best D-lines in the league. Justin Tuck came of age, and wrecked the game. They could have just as easily given him the MVP. We'll know tomorrow night if the present D-line is as good as Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck. Maybe JPP comes of age.

The pregame rhetoic role reversal is in place, lets see how it manifests itself tomorrow...
    The only time you have to worry about trash-talking in a game like this is if it masks tension and doubt. From all the media reports I've heard and read, the Giants are focused and relaxed. Their practices have gone well.

BTW, the Giants did trash talk in 2008. Burris and others.

Off to SB party #26.

Good luck G-Men.

Good luck to the Giants!

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    IThe Giants pulled off maybe the biggest upset in SB history.
    Second biggest.

Still, good luck.

Holy crap I just lost 25 pounds in the last quarter alone!

Yeesssssss!!!!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast