Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Giants

Default New York Giants

We have several Giants threads, but all are too specific to other teams. Can't really merge any, so starting a new overall thread.

There was too much hoopla in the first meeting of the Manning Brothers in 2006, when Eli was only in his second full season as the starting QB. Now both of them have won a Super Bowl, so Eli Peyton II should be a good game Sunday night.

Eli looked sharp last week, despite too many dropped passes by the wideouts. Peyton is not going to want to start the season 0-2.

And Eli doesn't want to be the loser to his brother again. Looking forward to it. Colts are favored by 5.5 - we'll see!

I went to the game last week, it was my first time in the new stadium. My review is mixed: there are obvious upgrades, particularly to the screens on the field. Open concourses are always appreciated too, with some new screens to see the game. But for an upper decker like me (since 1984) it took a lot longer to get up and down to the parking lot from there, which sucks. The mens rooms were no better as far as the line goes (by the second quarter most figured out that the best way in is through the back door). Better beer selection and more concession choices, that's good. Bigger stadium, but no louder - the other side of the field is now waaaaay over there. The stadium is so neutral, not all blue lighting and all GIANTS as I thought it was supposed to be. Maybe the super wealthy are thrilled with their upgrades, but to me it's just "eh", and it certainly doesn't feel as much as the Giants home as it used to. That might sound obvious and unimportant, but it actually weighs heavily on my personal review. In the end, out in the seats it felt like a regular Giants game, which is what counts the most, until you factor in my PSL then I get pissed all over again. GO GIANTS!

Free game for the Giants. Great start if they win, but not a big deal if they lose. Just need to play well on national TV.

For all its deficiencies, I really liked the old stadium. Sort of like I felt about old YS, except that the new one immediately feels like home. Not good to hear that it's less a GIANTS' HOUSE. Should have kept the Jets as tenants.

BTW, I keep asking my Jets friends, "Where is Showtime? I looked for Showtime on Monday, but couldn't find it. Will there be Showtime this Sunday? I don't wanna miss Showtime again. Show me Showtime."

I'll be really obnoxious if the Jets lose again.

Nothing takes the sting out of the Yankee playoff elimination like watching the Giants light a fire in the Cowboys' house, as Jerry Jones sees his plans for a home team Super Bowl in his shiny new stadium go up in smoke.

Jerry thought last year's team was good enough, so he made no moves. Now he's 1-5, with a 38 year-old immobile QB, and a dumbass coach that doesn't know when to kick a FG.

Giants are 2-0 in Cowboys Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Nothing takes the sting out of the Yankee playoff elimination like watching the Giants light a fire in the Cowboys' house, as Jerry Jones sees his plans for a home team Super Bowl in his shiny new stadium go up in smoke.

Jerry thought last year's team was good enough, so he made no moves. Now he's 1-5, with a 38 year-old immobile QB, and a dumbass coach that doesn't know when to kick a FG.

Giants are 2-0 in Cowboys Stadium.
    Thats 5 QBs I believe weve knocked out. The D is movin on up!!!

Thumbs up The other shoe has dropped!!

Cowboys fire coach Wade Phillips

Published: Monday, November 08, 2010, 3:29 PM Updated: Monday, November 08, 2010, 4:21 PM
    The Associated Press

Rodger Mallison/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/MCT
    Having won just once in eight games this season, the Cowboys fired coach Wade Phillips today.

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have fired coach Wade Phillips and promoted offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to take his place, according to media reports.

Team owner-general manager Jerry Jones reportedly decided enough was enough today, following a 45-7 loss to the Green Bay Packers the night before. It was the Cowboys' fifth straight loss, dropping them to 1-7.

This is their worst season since 1989 and among the worst in franchise history by record alone. Realistically, it's the low point considering Dallas was coming off a division title and a playoff win, and was expected to contend for the Super Bowl that'll be held at Cowboys Stadium.

Phillips' departure takes another dubious spot in club history: the first in-season coaching change.

The first game under Garrett will be at the Giants on Sunday at New Meadowlands Stadium.

Just about everything has gone wrong this half-season. The constant has been mindless mistakes: penalties, turnovers and other breakdowns befitting an expansion team, not one of the highest-paid rosters in the NFL. Phillips couldn't get them to snap them out of it. He tried being loyal instead of benching the guys who were underperforming the most. That only seemed to make things worse.

The bottom has fallen out since quarterback Tony Romo broke his left collarbone Oct. 25 against the Giants. Maybe that was to be expected, except that the defense has been the bigger problem.

That unit has allowed at least 35 points in three straight games, something the Cowboys hadn't done since their inaugural season, 1960, when they went 0-11-1. Stranger still, it's almost exactly the same guys who closed last season with the first back-to-back shutouts in club history. This may have been Phillips' undoing because he also was defensive coordinator.

Jones had steadfastly supported Phillips throughout this tailspin, even saying late last week that Phillips would keep the job the rest of the year. The first five losses had all been by a touchdown or less, which showed players were still fighting. But a second straight humiliating loss left Jones with little choice. Something had to change to spark interest in the final eight games.

"There are a lot of people that certainly are going to suffer and suffer consequences," Jones said Sunday night.

Garrett's unit hasn't been much better, but he's been viewed as the coach-in-waiting since he was hired -- days before Phillips.

Garrett, 44, becomes the first former Cowboys player to become head coach. He was a backup quarterback behind Troy Aikman from 1993-99. He was the quarterbacks coach in Miami in 2005-06 before rejoining the club in 2007. He's had the title of assistant head coach since 2008, when he withdrew from other interviews to remain with the club.

His father was a longtime scout for the Cowboys and he has two brothers on his staff: tight ends coach John and Judd, the director of pro scouting.

The 63-year-old Phillips would leave with a 34-22 record over 4 1/2 seasons guiding the Cowboys. He also was 1-2 in the postseason. Dallas won the NFC East twice on his watch.

His career record as a head coach with Dallas, Denver and Buffalo is 79-57, but only 1-5 in the postseason. He had only one losing record in eight full seasons. Counting a 3-4 mark over two stints as an interim coach, Phillips has 82 regular-season wins, matching the total of his father, former Houston and New Orleans coach Bum Phillips.

Phillips' job was shaky after a 44-6 loss to Philadelphia to close the 2008 season kept them out of the playoffs, and again last season when the Cowboys appeared headed toward a collapse in early December and Philllips' contract was expiring. But they pulled out of it so impressively that Phillips received a contract for this season and next. He's owed at least $3 million for 2011.

It's quite possible this will be Phillips' final turn as an NFL head coach, although he could resurface as a defensive coordinator, his specialty throughout a 34-year career in pro football.

This year, the defense couldn't stop the run (routinely allowing 100-yard rushers, something they didn't even do once last season) and was helpless against the pass, offering neither a rush nor good coverage.

The offense wasn't clicking even when Romo was healthy. The problems stem from an offensive line that consistently seems overmatched whether it's trying to open holes for running backs or protect the quarterback. The backfield trio of Marion Barber, Felix Barber and Tashard Choice hasn't done much even when the holes were there. The lasting image of the receivers this season is of footballs ricocheting off them and into the hands of defensive players.

Even the special teams have been a disappointment.

Dallas has been solid covering punts, but struggled to stop kickoff returns, another oddity because many of the same guys are on both units. Teams are taking advantage of the weakness, too. When David Buehler booted a kickoff 6 yards deep to start the second half against Green Bay, the Packers returned it anyway -- and took it nearly to midfield.

The Cowboys have tried nearly every trick in the turnaround handbook -- a players-only meeting; an emotional speech from special teams coach Joe DeCamillis about nearly being killed when the team's indoor practice facility collapsed; a speech by Jones last week; a change in practice schedule; and, this past week, a return to fundamentals.

So now Jones is trying pretty much the only thing left.

Speculation will persist on the club's next permanent leader. Obvious candidates include former Super Bowl winners Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden, both working in broadcasting.

Aaargh! That was painful to watch when there wasn't a blackout.

Off topic: Now that I've been to the new stadium a few times I decided I don't really like it AT ALL.

Well, I haven't been there yet, but I am a Jets' fan and from that perspective anything was better than the old place. I can see how Giants' fans would feel differently, but to a Jets' fan that place just never felt like home.
    Last edited by eddhead; November 16th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.

No matter how the season unfolds, Giants fans had our Super Bowl today.

0-6 monkey off our back. D played great. Broke Vick's hand (should have been the left one).

Have to hand it to them, they played well all around. I am not a huge Eli fan, but he played well. They pretty much did what they wanted. Pretty impressive win.

Justin Tuck, 6-5 300 lb Giants DE, has written a children's book, Home Field Advantage, about growing up in a household with five older sisters.

Book reading and signing in Tribeca:

Monday, October 3rd, at 6PM
    Barnes & Noble
    97 Warren St (the 101 Warren St building)

With the NFC East wide open, looking ahead to the back end of the schedule, which may be the toughest in the NFL, the Giants are going to regret losing maybe the easiest game of the season.

I don't know how they managed it.

The Seahawks suck.
    They traveled across the country for a 1PM game at the Meadowlands.
    They lost their starting QB in the second half, replaced by Whitehurst. Whitehurst became Dan Marino. WTF?
    They got several defensive red-zone breaks from the bumbling Seahawks.

It was a team effort.

I was truly stunned watching that game. Never in a million years did I think the Giants would lose. That is a tough loss to a team they have to beat.

Good win for the Giants yesterday. Eli and Bradshaw were both terrific. Maybe the best games I have seem the two of them play together ever.

Hard to believe they could lose to the Seahawks one week, and come back with a game like that yesterday. I thought they played very well.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast