Thread: Moving to NYC

Default Moving to NYC

Hi! My best friend and I are planning on moving to New York in the near future. We've both recently graduated from college and are obviously short on money. We are planning on saving up and taking the time to be cautious and cost-effective, but I was hoping for some advice? Any recommendations on how much to save, places to look for jobs/reasonably cheap (and safe!) housing, or any advice in general? It would be greatly appreciated!!

I know this thread is a bit old, but I think it might be important to talk about this since so many people ask the same questions.

Of course the most economical method of moving involves renting a truck and moving your things on your own. However, in NYC you are going to have a hard time finding a place to park the truck unless you can scope out the area ahead of time.

If you don't want to deal with the hassle, you can check into cheaper moving companies that can move your things for you and deal with the parking situation without intervention from you. Be careful though; choosing this method also means that you will have to pay more for stairs or distance that the movers have to go when you live in an apartment or other high rise in the city.