View Poll Results: Do you think there should be a TV network dedicated to architecture and urban issues?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would really enjoy such a channel and would watch it quite frequently.

10 55.56%
  • I would like to see it, but it would depend on the programs that air.

4 22.22%
  • I would watch it for the novelty of it, but not after that.

0 0%
  • I would not like to see such a channel.

0 0%
  • Such a channel would not last very long.

4 22.22%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think there should be a TV network dedicated to architecture and urban issues?

Charlie Rose on PBS interviews architects, critics and urban planners on a regular basis. You can find a lot of them on Youtube and his site.

As for a dedicated channel, I just doubt there is a large enough audience for it to make sense. CNBC is a channel that has a very small but affluent audience and even they get 150 - 200,000 viewers during the day.

I believe they can have one, but it doesn't have to be 24 hour programming. Either that, or they can supplement it w/ paid programming during the night.

Was watching a rerun of 'Selling New York' the other day, & this particular episode, titled 'Time is Money' featured a property in the CPW historic district. It was a beautiful gothic-style building that had been converted from a hospital which was built near the turn of the century. The name the building bears now starts with a T but I couldn't catch it. Bing maps doesn't show it. Red brick, rounded facades, sweeping terraces. Anyone know what this is & what cross street it's at?

I always thought a reality show that features architecture students (or young architects competing for a job or competition) would make a great reality show. Something like Top Chef works, so why not that?

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    It was a beautiful gothic-style building that had been converted from a hospital which was built near the turn of the century. The name the building bears now starts with a T but I couldn't catch it. Bing maps doesn't show it. Red brick, rounded facades, sweeping terraces. Anyone know what this is & what cross street it's at?
    That is probably 'The Towers' at at 105th Steet CPW, a beautiful building that was once a Cancer Hospital: the lovely looking rounded walls had something to do with containment of infectious diseases - as opposed to being strictly aesthetic. I guess one could say the design principal in that particular case was 'antiseptic' rather than 'aesthetic'. (LOL)

I did the geometric calculations and physical drafting (ink, mylar, & zipatone) of the 'Shadow Studies' which are required as part of the 'environmental impact' statement: from what I recall the developer had a name that went something like RK Futterman - or Robert Futterman.

They had on staff several architects, but none of them knew how to calculate and plot geometric shadows cast by those new tall towers, so I was hired as an outside consultant. This was before CAD and computer graphics were ubiquitous; the gig lasted about 2 weeks.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...?t=3223&page=1

That's it. Bungled the style, ok. Interesting article on the history of it in the Period Homes link. The unit featured on 'Selling New York' had its own full length terrace on CPW & the whole thing was just a dream, but I'd let my superstitions keep me away. "Did someone die in this room? How many died in this room?" Those who don't have a problem with it are lucky.

Thanks Info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12