View Poll Results: Do you think there should be a TV network dedicated to architecture and urban issues?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would really enjoy such a channel and would watch it quite frequently.

10 55.56%
  • I would like to see it, but it would depend on the programs that air.

4 22.22%
  • I would watch it for the novelty of it, but not after that.

0 0%
  • I would not like to see such a channel.

0 0%
  • Such a channel would not last very long.

4 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think there should be a TV network dedicated to architecture and urban issues?

Default Do you think there should be a TV network dedicated to architecture and urban issues?

I was just wondering why there aren't any architecture TV networks?
    There seems to be a lot of people interested in the topic. Lots of sites devoted to architecture and forums, but no TV networks. There are TV networks that specialize in law, some in food, lots in sports/fitness, some in health, but none really in architecture.
    I know there are sites online that have architecture videos, and some sites that just specialize in videos. What I mean is an actual TV network similar to CNN, CNBC, ESPN, TLC,etc...

Anyone know why?

I'd love to see one. What are peoples thoughts?

That's the best idea I've heard in a long time. If HGTV and the Style network manage to fill up their schedules, an Architecture & Urbanism channel should have no trouble.

There'd be no shortage of things to cover and discuss, so long as it didn't degenerate into mindless talk shows (eek!) or be dominated by opinionated and biased presenters.

Reality! Yeah! Reality!!!

Forum Veteran

Discovery has some decent shows, as does NatGeo. I like Build it Bigger, Extreme Engineering, World's Toughest Fixes.

The reason there's no such network is because it's likely considered a 'fringe' viewership, sorry to say. There's shows like those above but a network based on those shows is another thing entirely. It all boils down to advertising.

Sounds interesting. But more than likely any such network will wind up deciding to "diversify" their programming and wind up alienating their original target audience ala syfy (sci-fi) and cartoon network.

If I was an advertiser, the viewership of such a network would seem to be a really good target market. Not "fringe," but prestige.

I like how you conflated architecture with urbanism, as if they can't exist separately.

Also, I think the types of shows you seem to be talking about could be folded into the existing home design networks quite easily, if they would draw advertisers. HGTV has a show "Selling New York" which follows Manhattan brokers. So they do know cities exist.

Also on toward the weekend, is a show called LX TV Open House NY. Mostly city properties, with some CT & Long Island thrown in, and the homeowner shows the property to the viewing audience.

The hosts of that show are unwatchable.

I happily voted for the first answer.

It seems to me as though they got a channel or network for just about everything else, why not have one for THIS subject?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Sounds interesting. But more than likely any such network will wind up deciding to "diversify" their programming and wind up alienating their original target audience ala syfy (sci-fi) and cartoon network.
    They almost always do. MTV is a classic example. Food Network also. Now we have MTV2 and the Cooking Channel to right all the wrongs.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dbhstockton View Post
    If I was an advertiser, the viewership of such a network would seem to be a really good target market. Not "fringe," but prestige.
    Fringe related to viewership numbers. I'm sure any such channel would be highly educated but likely a small audience.

It would be on tomorrow and have a tremendous audience if it was hosted by the cast of jersey shore.

If you mean LX Open House, yes, the host, who is also host of LX New York, goes overboard with the cute/ditzy bit, but I like the properties. Selling New York, also. However, no one will ever be able to explain to me the appeal of an 800 sq foot apartment no matter how cheap it is. I guess to some people the urge to live in NYC is that strong. I'd feel like a rat in a cage after a few hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast