Thread: Moving to Brooklyn, apartment searching, the flight over, and jobs.

Exclamation Moving to Brooklyn, apartment searching, the flight over, and jobs.

1. Which neighborhoods in Brooklyn are close to a subway / good transportation, relatively safe for women to walk around in at night, and rent 2 bedroom for 2000.00 or less? Also any of these neighborhoods near some good community colleges? Am I out of my mind with this question?

2. What are some good websites for apartment searching? Are the "no broker fee" or "no broker" listings on Craigslist safe? What should I look for or look out for?

3. How to airlines handle transportation of cats? Can I bring my kitteh on the plane with me or does she have to go in some back storage compartment?

4. Are degrees really such a big deal? I'm from Seattle have have a pretty decent paying job because of my work experience, but I do not have a degree. I do plan on going to school in New York, but I am wondering if I will be S.O.L. for finding the same kind of job in New York. :\

You've got a crazy list of questions but I'll take them on.

1. Most neighborhoods in Brooklyn are close to the subway and/or bus. Many are also near "community colleges" (Brooklyn has slews of institutions of higher learning). You can also find two bedroom apartments for $2,000 or less in many safe areas. My building has many young women living with roommates 1/4 block from the subway and within walking distance of shops, bars and schools for around the 2k mark.

2. I personally wouldn't use Craigslist to find your first apt in Brooklyn. For the most part you will need to use a broker unless you want to move into an apt with roommates already in place. If you're looking for your own apartment the cost of a broker will be worth the time and headaches you may incur going it alone. Brokers generally will only work with decent landlords who do everything legal and you have recourse should your expectations not be met. NYC has strict guidelines protecting renters from fraud and you'll need to sign a lease to get those protections, something rare on Craigslist. Most Craigslist apt listings in Brooklyn which are not advertising for roommates under an existing lease are by owners listing a spare room or floor in their own house. In many cases these apts are both illegal and fraught with dangers for the renter. You may have to enter through the the owners own space to get to yours, they may have access to your space. You may have to share a kitchen or bathroom with the owner or his/her children. NEVER AGREE ON A SPACE UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN IT IN PERSON! I personally don't think using Craigslist is a good way for someone from Seattle to find an apt in Brooklyn.

Having moved around the city several times I can tell you there is no good website to find an apt. You need to budget a week to come here, stay in a cheap motel in Brooklyn and hit the bricks going to as many brokers as you can. There is no fee for them to show you places and many of them will even pick you up and drive you around. Don't waste your or their time by pretending to like something, if they drive you down a street and say "here's the building" and you don't like the neighborhood ask them to take you to the next listing. They want your money and you want the right apt, its as simple as that. Keep in mind most brokers will require an excellent credit score and some sort of documented savings and potential earnings to negotiate your lease with the landlord. In your case it's possible you will need a parent or older sibling to cosign for you, so bring that information with you and have the potential cosigner at the ready to fax documents.

3. I've got two cats and they have lived with me both here and in France so I understand your concern. These days each airline has its own policies concerning pets. Some will allow cats under a certain weight to travel in the passenger compartment if the carrier is approved. Some require a special reservation others require you purchase an extra seat. My cats have always traveled in the cargo hold along with other pets but I have been careful to choose airlines with a good history of transporting animals. Before any flight you should take your cats to your vet and have a health checkup, he/she should be able to tell you if they are healthy enough for a flight. Cargo holds are pressurized and heated/cooled just as the passenger compartments are.

4. Yes, a college degree is a "big deal" for most people on all five continents. It means a great deal of extra opportunity and income to most people anywhere. But it doesn't mean you can't find a job here. However, I personally would not move here without securing a job first.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Well, in my building there is an apartment for rent for 1200 a month, it needs some work but its spacious, 2 beds and a bath with an office, I dare you to find better than that. The train is about a 5 minute walk if that, the bus stop is right infront of the building. Its in bedstuy but this neighborhood is really coming up, new resturants and condos are everywhere. The people are friendly and neighborly in my building, walking at night isnt really a problem either. As far as your degree goes is always safer to have one, jobs are scarce here as it is.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mcbklyn View Post
    You've got a crazy list of questions but I'll take them on.

1. Most neighborhoods in Brooklyn are close to the subway and/or bus. Many are also near "community colleges" (Brooklyn has slews of institutions of higher learning). You can also find two bedroom apartments for $2,000 or less in many safe areas. My building has many young women living with roommates 1/4 block from the subway and within walking distance of shops, bars and schools for around the 2k mark.

2. I personally wouldn't use Craigslist to find your first apt in Brooklyn. For the most part you will need to use a broker unless you want to move into an apt with roommates already in place. If you're looking for your own apartment the cost of a broker will be worth the time and headaches you may incur going it alone. Brokers generally will only work with decent landlords who do everything legal and you have recourse should your expectations not be met. NYC has strict guidelines protecting renters from fraud and you'll need to sign a lease to get those protections, something rare on Craigslist. Most Craigslist apt listings in Brooklyn which are not advertising for roommates under an existing lease are by owners listing a spare room or floor in their own house. In many cases these apts are both illegal and fraught with dangers for the renter. You may have to enter through the the owners own space to get to yours, they may have access to your space. You may have to share a kitchen or bathroom with the owner or his/her children. NEVER AGREE ON A SPACE UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN IT IN PERSON! I personally don't think using Craigslist is a good way for someone from Seattle to find an apt in Brooklyn.

Having moved around the city several times I can tell you there is no good website to find an apt. You need to budget a week to come here, stay in a cheap motel in Brooklyn and hit the bricks going to as many brokers as you can. There is no fee for them to show you places and many of them will even pick you up and drive you around. Don't waste your or their time by pretending to like something, if they drive you down a street and say "here's the building" and you don't like the neighborhood ask them to take you to the next listing. They want your money and you want the right apt, its as simple as that. Keep in mind most brokers will require an excellent credit score and some sort of documented savings and potential earnings to negotiate your lease with the landlord. In your case it's possible you will need a parent or older sibling to cosign for you, so bring that information with you and have the potential cosigner at the ready to fax documents.

3. I've got two cats and they have lived with me both here and in France so I understand your concern. These days each airline has its own policies concerning pets. Some will allow cats under a certain weight to travel in the passenger compartment if the carrier is approved. Some require a special reservation others require you purchase an extra seat. My cats have always traveled in the cargo hold along with other pets but I have been careful to choose airlines with a good history of transporting animals. Before any flight you should take your cats to your vet and have a health checkup, he/she should be able to tell you if they are healthy enough for a flight. Cargo holds are pressurized and heated/cooled just as the passenger compartments are.

4. Yes, a college degree is a "big deal" for most people on all five continents. It means a great deal of extra opportunity and income to most people anywhere. But it doesn't mean you can't find a job here. However, I personally would not move here without securing a job first.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have a couple of follow up questions if you can spare the time.

Thanks for the feedback about neighborhoods. Can you also list a few affordable, good neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are lower west side meaning closer to Manhattan?

Also I am moving with 2 other girls, and they plan to move to NYC about a month before I do. Do landlords have an issue with a renter signing a lease who has not yet moved?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gweana View Post

4. Are degrees really such a big deal? I'm from Seattle have have a pretty decent paying job because of my work experience, but I do not have a degree. I do plan on going to school in New York, but I am wondering if I will be S.O.L. for finding the same kind of job in New York. :\
    Yes. Get an MBA and you will be ok. You can enrol in some good MBA programs for as little as 100,000 K and trust me, it's worth every penny, because once you get an MBA you will be on the path to riches. Check out my twitters as to why. Good luck!