Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Films of New York City

Very cool. TCM also showed a Travel Talks 20 min short a couple days ago called Mighty Manhattan, New York's Wonder City (1949). It featured Chinatown, Wall St, Herald Sq, the Bowery, & architectural places of interest such as Rockefeller Center, Temple Emanuel, NY Public Library, & the Central Park Zoo. Last few mins are filmed at a party at the Waldorf Astoria. Video not available on TCM or anywhere else so far as I can see. It apparently, though, comes as an extra to the Kiss Me Kate DVD. If anyone finds a direct link please post it here. It was very interesting.

Forum Veteran

Credit to lofter1 for finding this 1903 film of Roosevelt Island, formerly Blackwell's Island:

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    Very cool. TCM also showed a Travel Talks 20 min short a couple days ago called Mighty Manhattan, New York's Wonder City (1949). It featured Chinatown, Wall St, Herald Sq, the Bowery, & architectural places of interest such as Rockefeller Center, Temple Emanuel, NY Public Library, & the Central Park Zoo. Last few mins are filmed at a party at the Waldorf Astoria. Video not available on TCM or anywhere else so far as I can see. It apparently, though, comes as an extra to the Kiss Me Kate DVD. If anyone finds a direct link please post it here. It was very interesting.
    This short airing again on TCM tonight between 930 & 1000.

An MGM short fill, on TCM often.

I remember it because the narrator is annoying. At 01:45 he says "Chel-see-uh Piers." And only a few years after the Nuremberg Trials, no travelogue should say "the final solution" (03:30).

The video is excellent:

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I wonder where the rest of it is?

I've been looking all over for that. Can't believe I missed YouTube. That 'solution' comment pricked my ears too but I dismissed it b/c I thought I was the only one. Good features on this one.

I guess this is considered "old" now, so here it is. New York City 1960. Fun background music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUCC6F6YJyg

Some awesome videos...1899...wow, I imagine many people would have been very skeptical about the relatively new bridge's ability to support trains etc.

And in the Babe Ruth video, at 2:36...there is a structure in the middle of the street...is this a police lookout? Random looking thing to have in the street.

This is a nice video. around 1:24 there is great street footage....anyone an idea where 1:31 is? and shortly after that is a cool shot of the Boat House.

Ah, I watched it with no sound...*face palm*.

Thats fascinating. Love it.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up

Excellent!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast