Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why the forum was down for three days in December

Default Why the forum was down for three days in December

To put it briefly, I shut down the forum in order to perform repairs to the forum database. Our (former) moderator BrooklynRider sent me a message announcing his resignation at about 2 am on Friday and then immediately started deleting all his posts as well as forum threads. I do not know what system he followed, but by the end of the night he deleted several hundred threads.

I was alerted to the problem on Friday morning when forum member noticed that number of posts has decreased. At that point I closed the forum and decided to do a restore from a backup.

This took more than I expected. The tech support from vBulletin was taking literally 6 to 12 hours to send an email, but in the end it was done. As a result, the database was restored to the state as of 12:10 am on Friday. New posts done on Friday morning are not currently displayed, but could be restored since I do have access to the old database.

At the same time I have upgraded forum software to version 4.1.0 and enabled vBulletin CMS (content management system) - that's the first tab labeled "Front Page". I will describe the CMS in another thread.

Thank you, Edward, for all your hard work to restore what was lost .

I look forward to hearing more about the upgrade.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I don't understand why people want to delete their posts when they leave a board. Let me join Merry in thanking Edward for all his hard work.

Will the forum eventually be put back? Can't seem to find it now.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Click the 'Community' tab at the top of the page.

Deleting one's own posts is one thing.... but entire threads?

BR already trashed the forum with his ridiculous PMs back in August... so I'm not surprised he did it again on a grander scale. Those PMs were entirely inappropriate. He sounded mostly like someone who was not getting his way.

If he was having trouble with his colleagues, if matters could not be resolved... then be an adult and bow out gracefully.... why deliberately damage someone's hard work?

While I do not agree to his methods, I can see why he wanted to remove himself from the table.

It is a shame, he was a valued member that just got a little too caught up in the politics running behind the curtain. It is a shame he felt that he needed to try and erase his presence on the board.

Thanks for restoring everything Ed, and I am sorry to hear it had to come to that.
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; December 6th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Glad to see the forum back online! Thanks for everything you have done to keep this amazing site on going.

Forum Veteran

wow awesome job in turning around and putting the shaft on BrooklynRider instead, Bravo. If I could make only one comment, it would be that maybe you should have provided more information on what was going on on that splash screen, but it's all good

Immoderation is hard to rein in.

I guess I'm out of the loop. Unfortunate that he had to leave that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Immoderation is hard to rein in.
    Perhaps this should be a lesson to us all, myself included, to think before we post / act.

Civility is our own personal responsibility.

And Thank You, Edward, for your hard work in trying to get things back in order.

Yes- Thank YOU Edward (however it did give me a chance to finally check out you Photo stream...very nice)!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Perhaps this should be a lesson to us all, myself included, to think before we post / act.

Civility is our own personal responsibility.

And Thank You, Edward, for your hard work in trying to get things back in order.
    + 1
    ^^^ Absolutely Lofter1
    ... and thanks Edward for your hard work again.

Edward, Thank You & hats off, plain & simple.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast