Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Knicks matter again...

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    April 27, 2013

Acquired Tastes: Knicks and New York

By FINN COHEN

....any given night looking like a pride of lions or a herd of sloths, was an apt metaphor for my own experiences in a city of extremes.

New York Times Company
    Tonight they were a herd of sloths....
    (There goes my Friday night plans)

I missed the game (house hunting) but it does not seem like it was a great effort.

It started out great...11-0. Maybe that was the problem.

Too much complaining about the refs by Martin and Chandler.

We got the BAD JR of the past. Hope that's gone.

On the plus side, Felton was excellent. Celtics don't have an answer for him. Shumpert is looking better defensively every game.

Rivers used a seven man rotation. They've got to be tired. Knicks didn't hit threes in transition, and the game slowed to a half-court struggle - what the Celtics wanted.

Knicks need to up the tempo on Friday.

Knicks Move On After Another Scare
    Posted by John Schuhmann

BOSTON – The New York Knicks were the better team. And in the end, the better team won.

But, man, the Boston Celtics certainly made New York sweat, putting on one more display of Celtic pride before bowing out in Game 6 of their first round series, an 88-80 victory for the Knicks that puts them in a conference semifinals matchup with the Indiana Pacers starting Sunday.

It’s New York’s first playoff series victory in 13 years, a mixture of relief and exaltation for their long-suffering fans. It’s the first time Boston has lost in the first round since acquiring Kevin Garnett in 2007, and maybe the end of the KG era. The Knicks had already ended the Celtics’ streak of five straight division titles, but this was the official changing of the guard.

Both teams did their best to make it interesting in the fourth quarter though. The Knicks lost their way offensively after building a 26-point lead early in the period. They stubbornly stuck to isolation basketball that produced only tough shots and turnovers.

The Celtics finally found some offense by turning up the pressure defensively. Avery Bradley‘s ball hawking produced five New York miscues in a six-possession stretch in the middle of the 20-0 run. It was a furious push, but it eventually ran out of gas and the Celtics could never get to within less than four points.

The hole had been dug too deep. The Boston offense never looked more anemic than in did in the first half of Game 6, scoring a paltry 27 points on 43 possessions. Their spacing was terrible, they couldn’t hold onto the ball, and they couldn’t make a shot. In fact, they had more turnovers than made field goals until the 7:45 mark of the fourth.

“They wanted to play well, and they didn’t,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said of his team. “They know they’re better than what they played.”

Ultimately, as resilient as they proved to be, the Celtics were a team without a point guard or much of a shot against an opponent with much more firepower. But hey, they saved face after losing the first three games, avoiding the sweep on Sunday, making the Knicks look silly for wearing all black to Game 5 on Wednesday, and giving their fans one final thrill with the 20-0 run on Friday.

Now, they face what may be a difficult summer. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett looked older than ever in this series, and the best move for the franchise may be to part ways with their two prideful stars.

“We need more,” Rivers said “But the key is, for us, do you want to take away to get more? And that will be a decision that will be made later.”

“All three of us agreed to speak later,” Garnett added. “It’s a different day for that conversation.”

Rivers himself said he’s leaning toward coming back to coach at least one more year, but will take some time to make a decision.

The Knicks won’t have much time to prepare for the Pacers, an even tougher defensive team than the Celtics. And it doesn’t bode well that the Knicks scored less than a point per possession in this series and that Carmelo Anthony shot just 38 percent, at one point missing 19 straight 3-pointers.

“It’s not something I’m too concerned about,” Anthony said. “I’ll take those shots any day. I won’t stop shooting. My teammates need me to shoot.”

The good news is that New York may be playing its best defense of the season, having held the Celtics under a point per possession in five of the six games. It’s been three years since Boston was a good offensive team, but the Knicks’ defense was, at times, very responsible for how bad their opponent looked.

The Knicks ranked 16th defensively in the regular season and weren’t necessarily playing very well on that end when they won 13 straight games in March and early April. But they’ve seemingly flipped the switch.

“We have incredible athletes,” Tyson Chandler said. “That combined with focus is dangerous. I’ve been saying that the whole time I’ve been here and we’re starting to show it now.”

Chandler added that he feels 100 percent recovered from the bulging disc in his neck that he was dealing with late in the season, which may be the most important thing for the Knicks as they get set to face Indiana’s frontline of David West and Roy Hibbert. And that Iman Shumpert played one his best games of the season – 17 points on 6-for-9 shooting, six rebounds and a critical steal down the stretch – on Friday is also encouraging.

And hey, though the Knicks almost fumbled away that 3-0 lead they had, it takes a certain amount of resilience to finish off a series when your battle-tested opponent just doesn’t want to go down.

“It was an ugly series,” Knicks coach Mike Woodson said, “because neither team could really score or break loose. We did what we had to do to get out of this round.”

NBA.com

Pessimism had always been near and dear to me, but early in the fourth I absconded this game from her with silly notions of optimism; only for her to show up on my door with a jealous look and tell me: "Ahem, not even a 26 pt lead in the fourth is safe"

..... Thanks for the near heart-attack, Knicks.

What he said.

I actually had to turn it off for a few minutes because I couldn't believe I was seeing what I was seeing.

Shumpert was amazing in the second half. He has a shot at being a real star in this league.

28 shots. not very selective.

We need to see the Anthony who made his teammates better all year. Not the Anthony who shoots 10/28 and shoots 6 from the line.

Anthony needs a wingman. Smith has disappeared.

^I dont think Anthony understands that he cannot be his own wingman...

I hardly ever hear defense talked about in these posts.

The #1 reason the Knicks lost the game was that they allowed Indiana, not a high scoring team, to put up 102 pts. Augustin put up 16 in 13 minutes. 4 for 5 from behind the arc.

Besides the points allowed, this means fewer opportunities for the Knicks to score in transition.

Unless someone can offer an alternative, the Knicks will not advance unless Smith can hit from the perimeter. The game back from his suspension, he started 0-10, and he's a combined 29% shooting, 26% yesterday.

That's their game.

Shumpert is coming along, but he still needs work from long range. He had a few good looks late in the game, and put up bricks.

Actually, good point about defense in this game. In addition to the 3's they got murdered in the paint. And to repeat a previous point, Felton is not a great defensive point guard. He gets killed off the first step.

Agree with you about Shumpert. I do think he will be a star in this league but he needs to be more consistent from the arc.

JR Smith had an even worse offensive game, although he was more active in the paint - 6 REBs and a block.

Knicks stepped up the defense though - 11 steals and Pacers had 21 TOs. Transition game created good looks and offensive rebound opportunities. Knicks were badly outplayed in the paint in game #1 - Pacers had 33 D-REB while Knicks had 6 O-REB. In game #2 it was 28 - 13. In total REB, Knicks were down 14 in game #1, up 2 last night.

Shumpert should spend the off-season working on his three.

Hopefully, Novak will benefit from the three days off, and be ready to go on Saturday.

If Shumpert can become a consistent 3 pt shooter he will be a star in this league. Combined with his leaping abilility, rebounding and most importantly defensive prowess, he would become a tremendous player. As it is, he is shooting 46% from beyond the arc in the playoffs hitting more threes than he did in all of April.

He has awesome potential.

Well, I read it somewhere, but forget the specifics - because of salary structures, JR Smith will probably not be on the Knicks next season, so there's an opening for Shumpert.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast