Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Knicks matter again...

Like the broken bottle scam on the streets of NYC, the shoelace trick has withstood the test of time on the pro basketball courts.

The NBA no longer accepts players straight out of high school, so perhaps the shoelace trick will be on its way out soon? Then again, it's not like "student athletes" actually do any learning in college.

Clearly, he is unhinged.

The forst shoelace incident was written off to be a practical joke by Marion., but a second one? Add to that the Brandon Jennings reaction, the tweets about the Knicks being disloyal by cutting his brother, the 5 game suspension for violating the leagues drug policy ... ... that stuff is nuts, and cumlatively, it is the kind of thing that gets you fired.

He is not good enough to be that crazy.

He sounds borderline deranged.
    Last edited by eddhead; January 9th, 2014 at 12:36 PM.

I heard that JR Smith is trying out for the Harlem Globetrotters and needs some good stuff for the audition tape.

Maybe time for the NBA to invest in velcro?

Default Knicks gauging interest in J.R. Smith

He is a goner. If they can't trade him, they may even drop him.

Thye guy is a cancer and a distraction they just don't nee.

Knicks gauging interest in J.R. Smith

By Ian Begley and Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

While they acknowledge that a trade may be difficult to pull off, the New York Knicks in recent days began exploring the potential market for guard J.R. Smith, ESPN.com has learned.

More from ESPN.com

The NBA's $50,000 fine for J.R. Smith hits the Knicks' guard in the only place he seems to care about -- his wallet, writes Johnette Howard. Story

Sources close to the situation said Wednesday that the organization has become increasingly frustrated with Smith's on- and off-the-court transgressions and may feel that a fresh start would be best for all parties.

Smith was fined $50,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for "recurring instances of unsportsmanlike conduct" following his shoelace stunts in the Knicks' past two games.

Wednesday's fine didn't necessarily push the Knicks over the top, but one source with knowledge of the team's thinking said the organization has become "fed up" with Smith's erratic behavior.

Coach Mike Woodson hinted at that frustration Wednesday when he called Smith's conduct "unacceptable" in an interview with ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show."

"I'm not happy about this, because he was warned, he comes back and he makes the same mistake, and it's not right," Woodson said. "It's just got to stop. I keep saying this every time something pops up, but it's got to stop."

The coach later added that Smith has been "unprofessional about how he's approached this whole thing. Something's gotta be done. It has to stop. I'll address it tomorrow when I see him, and then we'll go from there."

Smith took to Twitter on Wednesday, posting an apology:
    Huge apologies to my team, to the league an most of all you the fans! #JRSmithSigningOff
    — JR Smith (@TheRealJRSmith) January 8, 2014
    Smith can't be traded until Jan. 15 because the Knicks are over the salary cap and Smith signed for more than 120 percent of his previous salary. The Knicks, furthermore, privately acknowledge that it will be difficult in the current climate to trade Smith, who has two seasons left after this one on a three-year, $18 million contract.

The 28-year-old underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in the offseason. Smith then missed training camp after surgery, with Woodson saying recently that the guard is still dealing with soreness in his knee.

The Knicks need help. We stepped up. Here's a list of possible trade targets.
    Photo Gallery Top 25 Knicks

Smith's scoring is down markedly from last season. He is shooting just 32.3 percent from the field and has averaged 11.3 points in 29 games. Last season, Smith won the NBA's Sixth Man Award after averaging 18.1 points and 5.3 rebounds in 80 games.

The reality, though, is that Smith's transgressions -- combined with his declining production -- figure to complicate any efforts to move him.
    In addition to Wednesday's fine, Smith was suspended the first five games of the regular season without pay for violating the league's anti-drug policy. And in November, Smith was fined $25,000 for sending what the NBA deemed a "hostile" tweet to Detroit's Brandon Jennings after Jennings had questioned the credentials of Smith's brother, Chris, a former Knicks guard.

Maybe he can be traded to Rodman's traveling basketball circus.

You mean we get Charles Smith back again????

The latest Knick Debacle. And it's the definition of a debacle.

Athletes who have to play in New York should take a mandatory training course on handgun possession. Call it Plaxico 101.

Felton, unlike Burress, may have one chance:
    A legal defense that could work for Felton is that he did not possess this gun. In order to gain a conviction, prosecutors must establish, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Felton actually possessed the Belgian pistol. This point reveals a crucial difference in evidence between the incidents involving Burress and Felton. While Burress had no logical way of arguing he didn't possess a gun used to shoot himself, Felton's connections to the Belgian pistol are less obvious. As of now, the only reported link between Felton and this pistol is that his estranged wife handed the pistol over to law enforcement and claimed it belonged to Felton. If that remains the only link, watch for Felton to portray his estranged wife as unreliable and, given their pending divorced, biased. He may raise similar themes about his alleged girlfriend if she testifies against him.

Whenever Plaxico & Guns comes up, it makes me LOL that he actually discharged the gun in his pants.

Worthy of Barney Fife.

Paging Joe Tacopina.

Babe, I'm sorry I cheated on you. I'm not Kobe and I can't get you a $4 million ring. I was going to get you some Belgian chocolates, but I couldn't find any, so here's a Belgian pistol.

Forum Veteran

Well as of right now, the only person involved with an illegal gun in NYC is the wife, with a precinct full of witnesses. Good luck proving Raymond possessed it in the city

What is with the Knicks this year -- tying other teams' players' shoelaces during free throws, pointing guns at their wives, releasing Metta World Peace? What a mess!

Sitting in the IRT #1.

Guy next to me is reading the paper. Inside header "Something Something Ray Gun."

Glanced across the aisle. Another guy is reading the NY Post. Back page headline "Raymond Felon."

Lightbulb Thanks but not Thanks

Not surprised the Steve Kerr wants no part of this mess.

========

Steve Kerr spurns Knicks, agrees to coach Warriors

By The Associated Press
    on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM, updated May 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Steve Kerr has decided to take the Golden State Warriors job, instead of the Knicks job. (Soobum Im/USA TODAY Sports)

OAKLAND, Calif. — The Golden State Warriors are taking another chance on a television analyst and former NBA guard who has never been a head coach at any level.

The Warriors won the bidding war with the Knicks for Steve Kerr on Wednesday, hiring him away from the TNT broadcast table to be their coach. Kerr agreed to a five-year, $25 million deal with the Warriors, said his agent, Mike Tannenbaum. TNT was the first to report the deal.

Kerr had been in talks with the Knicks about becoming their next coach since Phil Jackson took over as team president in March. He won three titles playing for Jackson in Chicago and another two under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio.

Kerr also spent three seasons as general manager of the Phoenix Suns before stepping down in June 2010. He replaces Mark Jackson, who was fired by the Warriors on May 6 after three seasons and back-to-back playoff appearances.

Kerr said last month that he has wanted to coach since going back to his job at TNT. And while the lure of building a contender with his mentor at Madison Square Garden looked appealing, the chance to coach a Western Conference contender in his home state proved to be too much.

The Warriors job is certainly a far more attractive one than when owner Joe Lacob hired Jackson away from the ESPN/ABC broadcast table in June 2011. The Warriors are coming off a 51-win season and consecutive playoff appearances for the first time in 20 years, and they’ve surrounded star Stephen Curry with a talented young core.

Kerr also has close ties to Lacob and Warriors President Rick Welts, who worked in Phoenix’s front office during Kerr’s time as Suns general manager. And while he has no coaching experience, Kerr played 15 seasons and — also similar to Mark Jackson — he has been around some of the most successful sideline leaders.

Kerr has credited Phil Jackson and Tex Winter for most of his basketball knowledge. Winter taught the triangle offense and was a longtime assistant for Jackson, who used the system to win an NBA-record 11 championships as a coach of the Bulls and Lakers.

Golden State also spoke with former Orlando Magic and Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy during its search. Van Gundy agreed to a deal with Detroit on Tuesday after the Pistons gave him control of basketball operations — something the Warriors wouldn’t do with Bob Myers and Lacob in place.

The Warriors met with Kerr again on Tuesday night in Oklahoma City, where Kerr was calling the Thunder-Clippers game. And they apparently made a big enough impression — and contract offer — to land the man they wanted all along.

http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2..._river_default

<SIGH!!> sometimes I wonder if Melo is even part of the solution .....

Carmelo Anthony plays horrible defense

The Knicks are bad.
    In Saturday's game against the Kings, Carmelo Anthony shows he has given up on the Knicks this season. Rudy Gay steals a bad pass, Anthony chases him to about half court and decides to let off the acceleration. Maybe he was tired or simply thought the Knicks are 5-26 so what's the point. Whatever the reason, it's inexcusable. No matter what the Knicks' record is, Anthony should be giving $124 million effort on a nightly basis.
    $124 million doesn't go as far as it used to.

More bad precedent:

Forum Veteran