Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Knicks matter again...

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    Howard for Melo and Chandler. I'll make that trade.
    what? You're crazy. I'll take Howard straight up for Melo but the Knicks need a big man on center, that would make the team worse not better

Chandler should be untouchable. The Knicks don't have the quality defense that gives them the option of trading away their center. They'd only have to replace him, and they wouldn't find someone as good. With all the talk about the offense, the poor defense is a big problem. cost them the game at Boston, right down to the end.

As for the offense, what the Knicks probably need most is a complete training camp. Not what they got this year - lockout; two star scorers out with injuries (Stoudemire still doesn't look right); a point guard with less than a month in the NBA.

I don't like the bench rotation; too many players. It seems D'Antoni is just managing playing-time rather than in-game coaching.

The Knicks got what they needed this year: a young point guard that knows how to play. but Linsanity over two weeks masked the reality - Lin is a rookie with a lot to learn. The quality guards on the teams they have to beat are eating him up.

Now is not a good time to be making trades.

BTW: I discount Howard replacing Chandler because of money. Whether or not the deal is good for the Knicks, it makes no sense for the Magic. If they want to trade Howard, then they're looking to rebuild by dumping his salary.

Howard is signed through next year at $19 million. Both Melo and Chandler have three more years after this season. Melo will go from $19 to $23 million; Chandler $13 to $14 million.

I was about to write the same thing. As much as I like Chandler (and I like him a lot), I would trade him and Melo for Howard in a heartbeat. The problem is cap consideratons on the Magic's side.

Default Anthony and Knicks Can’t Play Together

March 13, 2012

Anthony and Knicks Can’t Play Together

By HOWARD BECK

As they steeled themselves late Monday for a grinding, gripping final 12 minutes in Chicago, the Knicks broke into two factions along the bench. At one end, a swarm of players gathered around the coaching staff. At the other, Carmelo Anthony sat stoically, a towel over his shoulders, alone.

“I do that every game,” Anthony would say later, smiling.

Anthony knew he would be on the bench to start the fourth quarter, as he often is. It was perhaps not that vital for him to join his 14 teammates in the huddle. Yet in the context of the Knicks’ current struggles, the imagery was striking, and telling.

The Knicks are not a unified team. On one side is Anthony. On the other is everyone else.

It is evident in Anthony’s body language, in his teammates’ postgame remarks and in the minor wrinkles of the box score. It is most glaring in the win-loss ledger, which has been inverted since Anthony rejoined the lineup.

The Knicks were 7-1 without Anthony last month (including a victory over Utah in which he played only six minutes). They have lost 8 of 10 games since he returned.

For two weeks, the Knicks played a fluid, joyful game in which everyone thrived and pulled for one another. The joy has faded, pushed aside by tension and resentment and a six-game losing streak.

The causes are varied, and Anthony is not solely to blame. But multiple people with ties to the team cite a growing divide between Anthony and his teammates that is threatening to derail the season.

Anthony is breaking plays and demanding the ball in isolation, then snapping at teammates when they fail to get it to him. It happened late Monday, when Anthony called for the ball in the post, then smacked his hands in anger after Landry Fields went elsewhere. More often, Anthony saves the criticism for more private moments, on the bench or in the locker room.

Anthony wants the Knicks to play through him, as every team has throughout his career. He is, by is own admission, uncomfortable in an offense in which he is not the primary ball-handler. That role is now capably filled by Jeremy Lin and Baron Davis.

“He wants 20 shots a game,” a person with ties to another Knicks player said of Anthony. “He has had a scorer’s mentality his whole life.”

Yet the team that Anthony rejoined in late February no longer needs a 20-shot-a-game player. The Knicks have scoring options in Amar’e Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler, Steve Novak, Iman Shumpert, Fields and Lin — the group that spearheaded the seven-game winning streak last month. They have since added more scoring in Davis and J. R. Smith. They are at their best when everyone is involved.

That is the philosophy that Coach Mike D’Antoni preaches daily, one that is echoed by Stoudemire after nearly every defeat.

“All of us, every single player, has to buy into it, and give the coach a chance for his strategy to work,” Stoudemire said after Sunday’s loss to the Philadelphia 76ers. “If we don’t, then see what happens.”

These critiques and speeches about “sacrifice” are always unspecific and carefully worded, but it is understood that they are intended for Anthony, the only Knick talented enough to repeatedly break plays and get away with it.

The fact is, Anthony is not performing at a level that warrants more shots or self-indulgent play. He is shooting a career-low 40 percent from the field. The Knicks are 2-11 this season when he has 20 or more attempts.

For the past 10 games, the Knicks have been demonstrably worse when Anthony plays. With Anthony on the court, the Knicks are scoring at a rate of 97.7 points per 100 possessions. When he is on the bench, that rating soars to 109.8.

The contrast is just as sharp on defense: the Knicks give up 107.1 points per 100 possessions with Anthony on the court, 95.1 with Anthony on the bench. His personal differential, a minus-9.4 rating, is the worst on the team in that 10-game stretch.

Nor is Anthony fulfilling his presumed role as a clutch performer. He misfired repeatedly down the stretch in Chicago, adding to a string of fourth-quarter failures this season. He intentionally fouled Kyle Korver and sent him to the line on a key possession in the final minute, with the Knicks down by 4, after the players had been instructed to simply play defense.

This is not an issue of whether D’Antoni’s coaching or his system suits Anthony, or whether Anthony likes D’Antoni. The question is whether Anthony is willing to subjugate his game for the greater good, as his teammates are demanding.

If not, he risks losing more than just his team’s respect. Fans who swooned over Anthony 13 months ago are booing him during introductions. Columnists are dissecting every comment, every shot attempt and every sideline gesture.

The Knicks are 12-20 with Anthony in the lineup this season, and 25-34 since he put on the uniform.

Carmelo Anthony wanted the Knicks. He demanded the trade that cost them four starters and multiple draft picks, and the $65 million extension that came with it. Anthony wanted the New York spotlight. Now he must accept the glare.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/sp...gewanted=print

Default D’Antoni Resigns as Knicks’ Coach

Wow, I guess we know who wears the pants in the Knicks org. I am not the biggest D'Antoni fan, but I HATE to see this team become Anthony dominated.

D’Antoni Resigns as Knicks’ CoachBy THE NEW YORK TIMES

Mike D’Antoni has resigned as coach of the Knicks, a move that comes as the team has spiraled downward in a losing streak that has reached six games and threatens its chances of qualifying for the N.B.A. playoffs.

D’Antoni was in his fourth season as the team’s coach. Just weeks ago he was jubilant over the surprise emergence of Jeremy Lin as a point guard who could orchestrate the team’s offense in the up-tempo way that D’Antoni envisioned.

But the subsequent return from injury of Carmelo Anthony, a star player who never seemed in sync with D’Antoni’s vision that no one offensive player should dominate the ball, quickly soured the Knicks’ situation. Entering Wednesday’s N.B.A. games, the Knicks were 18-24, tied with the Milwaukee Bucks for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Instead of Linsanity, and Sports Illustrated covers devoted to Lin, there was the old, and familiar, intrigue about whether Anthony and D’Antoni could co-exist. On Wednesday morning, Anthony denied to reporters that he was asking the Knicks for a trade. Instead, hours later, D’Antoni resigned.

Forum Veteran

His brother and Weber also got fired by the Kincks

Default Linsanity Has Left the Building

March 15, 2012

Linsanity Has Left the Building

By HOWARD BECK

The great lesson of Linsanity — at least, as we understood it in February — is that expertise can be flawed and impressions faulty. Jeremy Lin taught us not to assume too much, especially as it pertains to Jeremy Lin.

The Golden State Warriors and the Houston Rockets will attest to this.

Yet as we survey the ever-changing, perpetually dysfunctional Knicks landscape, it is hard not to draw one hard conclusion: It’s the end of Linsanity as we know it.

The sudden and surprising change in head coaches almost ensures it.

Lin blossomed because he played in a system that perfectly suited him, for a coach who believed in him and needed him. Lin restored the aesthetics and the excitement to Mike D’Antoni’s frenetic offense and restored faith at Madison Square Garden.

But D’Antoni left the building Wednesday, taking his speedy, free-flowing offense with him. His replacement, Mike Woodson, is an old-school coach and Larry Brown disciple who emphasizes defense, ball control and isolation play. He does not push the tempo, or rely heavily on the pick-and-roll. He holds a tight leash on his point guards.

He prefers veterans to rookies. He wants the offense to run through his stars. He will run most of his plays for Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire.
    None of this bodes well for Lin.

“Woody’s inclination would not be to play him,” said a person who has worked with Woodson.

This will be a delicate matter for Woodson, who has 23 games to establish himself, right the ship and get the Knicks in the playoffs. Despite his recent struggles, Lin remains wildly popular at the Garden, and with fans around the world, who were captivated by his incredible, come-from-nowhere rise.
    Lin is beloved by most of his teammates, who appreciate him for reviving their season with a seven-game winning streak and what seemed like a million uncanny clutch plays. But circumstances have changed, and Woodson cannot afford to be sentimental.

The Knicks have lost 8 of their last 11 games, leaving them in a dogfight for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. And Lin is no longer the dominant force who carried them in February. His production over the last nine games — 14.4 points and 7.3 assists — was solid, but he shot 37.7 percent and averaged 4.2 turnovers over that stretch.

In his first game under Woodson on Wednesday, Lin had 6 points, 6 assists and 6 turnovers. That he struggled so badly in a 121-79 victory seemed like a bad sign. Woodson, according to his former associate, will not tolerate many six-turnover games from his point guard.

This is where D’Antoni was so critical to Lin’s success. D’Antoni not only provided the platform, but he also gave Lin the freedom to explore, to create and to make mistakes, to make the aggressive pass and to take the open shot, without fear of reprisal.
    Linsanity Has Left the Building

Anthony was never comfortable in a Lin-centric offense. He bristled over having to “sacrifice for the system,” which ultimately led to D’Antoni’s resignation. But Anthony remains the Knicks’ most dynamic player and the one most critical to their long-term success. So as Woodson edits the Knicks’ playbook, it is a certainty that Anthony will not be asked to sacrifice much of anything.

In Atlanta, where Woodson guided the Hawks to three playoff appearances, the emphasis was squarely on his stars: Joe Johnson and Josh Smith. He ran so many isolation plays for Johnson that his offense became known (derisively) as Iso-Joe. Those plays will now belong to Anthony.

“His best players get the most shots,” the former associate said. “Melo’s going to love it. Amar’e’s going to love it. And the other 12 guys are not going to like it so much.”

Lin could lose the starting job to Baron Davis, a seasoned former All-Star who is bigger, stronger and a better defender. Toney Douglas, whose strength is his defense, could get another look under Woodson, after being benched by D’Antoni. Mike Bibby, who played for Woodson in Atlanta, could also win a greater role.

It seemed telling when Woodson referred to the 23-year-old Lin, a virtual rookie, as being “in a learning stage.” He then invoked Red Holzman, “who taught me that rookies were to sit and listen and learn,” when Woodson was a Knicks rookie in 1980.

Lin’s unusual journey, from Harvard to the N.B.A., with stops in the Development League and on various couches, has taught him to be an optimist. While he acknowledged that D’Antoni’s offense “was perfect for me,” he said he can adapt.

Yet with D’Antoni gone and Anthony back in the forefront, Lin may never get the same opportunities to shine. The Knicks have no room for error, nor does Woodson, who is coaching for a contract and the permanent job.

Lin is auditioning too, for the entire league, as a free-agent-to-be. A few weeks ago, it seemed a certainty that the Knicks would re-sign him, even if they had to use their entire midlevel exception. But D’Antoni is gone, the offense is changing and everyone has an interim title. A new coach and general manager could decide to spend the money elsewhere.

Lin has crushed conventional wisdom before. He may do it again. But in the Knicks’ twisted universe, there are no certainties and, for now, no room for Linsanity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/sp...gewanted=print

Forum Veteran

Al Iannazzone ‏ @Al_Iannazzone
    Mike Woodson said Jeremy Lin is the Knicks starting point guard and is a big part of what they do.

Al Iannazzone ‏ @Al_Iannazzone
    Lin said he met with Woodson this morning and was told he's the starting point guard and not to worry about anything else.

Of course he said that. The NY fan base would be all over him if he did not. Doesn't mean shit though. I don't trust Woodson and I really despise Dolan.

They should have traded Anthony.

Forum Veteran

Well tonight's game says otherwise. Before the game Woodson was quite clear that he favors giving everyone playing time and keeping everyone happy, then he went on to play the entire bench including Bibby! Besides, Woodson is not stupid, he's not going to kill Jim Dolan's cash cow. Lin is worth a fortune in new market share not only from Asian Americans but from Asians the world over

its one game, and that is not Woodson's style. He would prefer to play a lot of isolation sets. We'll see what happens, but I am not real hopeful.

Knicks are having fun.

They are having fun and I hope it continues, but I am very concerned about Woodson over the long haul. His history suggests he favors iso sets over ball movement and finding the open man. Good for Anthony, but not so much for the rest of the team. There is less spacing in his offense and less room for team movement. Still, so far so good.

I find myself really resenting Anthony. I feel like he selfishly under performed in order to sabotage the coach, than got what he wanted. I am having a hard time liking him.

Such is the case with many pro athletes. Look at all the nonsense that went on with Howard and the Magic.

Anthony and D'Antoni never got off on the right track. It got into the media that D'Antoni opposed the trade.

The big difference I see is that Woodsen is getting in the players' faces, not so much on offense, but for missing defensive assignments. D'Antoni yelled at the refs a lot, but never at the players.

I think any NBA player who can move with the ball can play defense. It's a matter of wanting to do it. That's the difference now.

I figured that since they weren't going to make the playoffs, D'Antoni would be fired or resign after the season, and the Knicks would get a normal training camp next year.

What happened instead is that the Knicks are in training camp right now. Anthony is still trying to define his roll. I thought he was passing back outside too often when he had low post position, but that seemed to change in the last game. And Stoudameyer looks a lot more fluid around the basket.

Lin is continuing to refine his game, and make adjustments to the way he's being defensed.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast