Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: middle class White/Catholic neighborhoods in the Outer Boroughs???

Default middle class White/Catholic neighborhoods in the Outer Boroughs???

----
    Last edited by ironmike9110; June 26th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post

why not just move to Nassau County?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I know about Bay Ridge.

Its just that neighborhood is far away from the city itself....what is like 45 minutes?

I really like Astoria and Long Island City although they probably aint what I mentioned, they are like 10 mins away from Manhattan.

I want to find a decent 2BD 1BA condo/co-op and if lucky maybe even a house that after paying mortgage/interest/cc fees (if a house then taxes) doesnt go over 30k a year ($2,500 a month). (About 300k at 5% interest for 30 years with a cc fee of $800 a month). What neighborhood would give me the best bang for my buck?

There's something foul tasting about this question in general... If racial diversity bothers you, feel free to stay out of NYC....

Just my 2 cents.

----
    Last edited by ironmike9110; June 26th, 2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNYC View Post
    There's something foul tasting about this question in general... If racial diversity bothers you, feel free to stay out of NYC....

Just my 2 cents.

If a Chinese person (as an example) asked the same type of question about wanting to live in a predominately Chinese neighborhood... would it bother you?

any answers?

Do you mean answers to Fabs question: if so no.

Silence some times speaks volumes!

Perhaps it is best you get this preview of the widespread liberal hypocrisy you will find here in NYC: the willful blindness is astounding.

Keep looking - here and elsewhere - you will find that which you seek.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    Do you mean answers to Fabs question: if so no.

Silence some times speaks volumes!

Perhaps it is best you get this preview of the widespread liberal hypocrisy you will find here in NYC: the willful blindness is astounding.

Keep looking - here and elsewhere - you will find that which you seek.

Cheers
    no...i only got 2 answers and its techically 1 (Bay Ridge), Douglaston is in Nassau County.

What's wrong with Fabrizio's question, infoshare?

^
    This thread was opened in the Moving to NY thread; IronMike asked a question. The 'problem' between him and KenNYC was answered, and both moved on.

Then the thread became about a third person. And then about liberal politics.

Am I the only one who understood what IronMike meant by "Any answers?"

Maybe most of us stayed out of the thread because we didn't have a good one, not because of political bullshit.

Posts not in answer to the question will be deleted as off-topic.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Thumbs down A question that violates Fair Housing laws

Mike, I think the reason you haven't gotten a lot of answers to your question is that it's an illegal question. Fair Housing laws prevent people from discussing real estate in terms of race and religion. (There are actually lots of other classes that are protected against discrimination too, including gender, and, in enlightened NYC, occupation and sexual orientation).

I agree with Ken as well that it goes against the sensibilities of most New Yorkers. We come here for the mix and are puzzled when someone wants our city but not the bit that makes it vital! It's like you want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the peanut butter and jelly.

However to answer your other question on price, which we can talk about -- the best boroughs to look for a single-family house for under $300K are going to be Staten Island and The Bronx. Those are not particularly fast commutes to Manhattan, but it is precisely fast access to Manhattan jobs that drive prices.

Along that theme, in general housing in Brooklyn and Queens is going to be cheaper if you're off the main transportation routes. Therefore Bay Ridge -- which has reliable 45 min subway access to Manhattan -- is relatively expensive, and cheap single-family homes (which are generally going to be narrow row houses, attached to the neighbors on either side) are going to run around $500K.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

If you look at the residential demographics of certain neighborhoods in Manhattan, they are not so much of a mix as one might think:

The Upper East Side (and it is a large chunk of the city) is nearly 90% white... African American, 0.09%. Look at the demographics of Tribeca, Soho, BatteryPark City.

And there are buildings, huge condos in Manhattan (small towns unto themselves) where everyone is white and well-to-do.

Certainly the world passes through these neighborhoods, but those living there do not always represent a melting pot of races.

Plenty of people do want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the peanut butter and jelly.

When I lived in Manhattan a million years ago, before gentrification (code word for whiter and well-to-do) I was very happy to live in mixed neighborhoods ..but lots of people who might claim otherwise, do not want to.

Maybe Fair Housing laws prevent people from discussing real estate in terms of race and religion but there is a lot of hypocrisy out there... and in some of the most sophisticated places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast