Thread: Moving to NYC and starting from the bottom

Default Moving to NYC and starting from the bottom

Hey folks! Before I tell you what I need advice with, let me give you a little info on myself -

I am 24, I have a bachelors in Web Development (Computer Science), I own my own (semi successful) retail business, and have a VA Public School teaching license.

Interestingly enough, I also have no money (something that goes hand in hand with owning your own business). Since I have opened my business last August, I have been living in my business or on friends couches.

I'll be closing the business in July and am coming to NYC. I've always wanted to move there and I feel like if I don't do it now, I'll never be able to. I have a sincere appreciation and interest in musical theater.

I am coming to NYC with no money - I've been looking for jobs, I'd like to find something in teaching or something (anything) that would put me close to the theater (something technical, as that's what my degree is in). I'm going to be moving weather I can find a job or not.

This means I will likely be moving to NYC and living in my car until I can find a job and get enough money to live somewhere. I'll get a gym membership for showers & such - I think it's doable, but not many other people I have talked to agree. I've taken multiple trips there and stayed in my car with no trouble.

Tips / Advice??

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Tough it out and eventually it will work.

In case you haven't found a gym yet, you can always try out planet fitness. Their memberships are really cheap (10$ or 20$ a month) and it's 24 hours half the time..

btw, yes I know it's my first post and no I'm not a spam bot or anything. Just trying to help..

Quote Originally Posted by wcdavis View Post
    I've always wanted to move there and I feel like if I don't do it now, I'll never be able to.
    You're talking about living in a city, not becoming a model or professional athlete. Being in your 30s, 40s or 50s isn't going to prohibit you from moving to NYC. My advice is don't make the move until you've secured a living space and have an income source (or at least six-months of rent/living expenses saved and good job prospects). New York loses a lot of its magic and appeal if you're destitute.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Yeah, I agree with Randy. Don't come here and live in a car. Shouldn't be doing that anywhere anyway.

If you are going to teach, please learn the difference between weather and whether before taking any teaching position.

Quote Originally Posted by wcdavis View Post
    Hey folks! Before I tell you what I need advice with, let me give you a little info on myself -

I am 24, I have a bachelors in Web Development (Computer Science), I own my own (semi successful) retail business, and have a VA Public School teaching license.

Interestingly enough, I also have no money (something that goes hand in hand with owning your own business). Since I have opened my business last August, I have been living in my business or on friends couches.

I'll be closing the business in July and am coming to NYC. I've always wanted to move there and I feel like if I don't do it now, I'll never be able to. I have a sincere appreciation and interest in musical theater.

I am coming to NYC with no money - I've been looking for jobs, I'd like to find something in teaching or something (anything) that would put me close to the theater (something technical, as that's what my degree is in). I'm going to be moving weather I can find a job or not.

This means I will likely be moving to NYC and living in my car until I can find a job and get enough money to live somewhere. I'll get a gym membership for showers & such - I think it's doable, but not many other people I have talked to agree. I've taken multiple trips there and stayed in my car with no trouble.

Tips / Advice??

^
    Nice first post. Maybe you will learn something besides football at FSU

but I doubt it.