International airport "Vnukovo" – one of the largest air transport complexes of Russia - takes the fourth place in the country on the volume of passenger traffic.
The airport complex is formed by the specialized enterprises, which carry out land service of all categories of passengers, the cargo, and passenger airlines which are carrying out regular and charter flights in international airport "Vnukovo", and give a wide spectrum of aviation services.
Airport complex "Vnukovo" possesses a number of competitive advantages, including:
Besides "Vnukovo" has the most favorable geographical position among the airports of the Moscow aviation junction (MAJ), in particular:
- The big reserve of throughput of an airfield complex and passenger terminals that allow to give airlines convenient slots;
- Presence of several allocated transport communications: passengers can reach the airport by three highways (Kiev, Minsk and Borovskoe) and by the high-speed trunk-railway connecting "Vnukovo" with the center of Moscow.
- The maximal affinity to the capital (the airport is located in 11 km to the West of Moscow);
- The highest point of position for airports of MAJ - 204 m above sea level, that is an additional priority under adverse weather conditions, in particular, under the formation of fog;
- For the airlines, which are carrying out flights to Moscow from western and from some southern directions, "Vnukovo" 10-20 minutes of flight closer, than other airports of MAJ.
Airfield complex "Vnukovo"
Has two runways with an artificial covering. By classification ICAO the second category that allows providing rise – landing of airplanes in conditions of the limited visibility is given to it.
The platform of air station is designed for parking more than 100 airplanes of various types - from planes of business aircraft up to liners such as В 737-300 and An-124-100 "Ruslan".
Today airport Vnukovo has entered a phase of active development and has real prospects to become the largest air transport unit of Moscow and the leading transit center between Europe and Asia.
The description of the project
Realization of the scale program of reconstruction and strategic development of airport complex "Vnukovo" began in the end of 2003, after the transfer of a control share holding of airport "Vnukovo" by the Government of Russia to the Government of Moscow.
The program designed for the period till 2015, is aimed at transformation of complex "Vnukovo" into the competitive air transport center of the international value with maximum comfortable system of service for passengers and airlines. Recording to the Program it is planned to invest about 1,3 billion dollars in the development of an infrastructure of the airport that will allow to deduce the throughput of the airport to the level of 22 million passengers a year.
The concept, on which the program is based, considers the interconnected solution of questions of development of three infrastructure systems:
- The airport with all necessary infrastructures for the service of passenger and freight traffic;
- Territories adjoined to the airport in view of optimization of their use;
- The transport infrastructure providing the connections of the airport with Moscow.
The project provides:
1. Significant modernization of an airfield complex, including lengthening of one of the runways, reconstruction of existing and construction of new steering paths, expansion of platforms, equipment of the complex by the equipment of III category ICAO.
2. Stage-by-stage, without a stop of work of the airport, development airport complex and enlargement of its throughput to the level of 6,1 -7,5 thousand passengers an hour, construction of new passenger terminals with landing galleries, reconstruction of the post-cargo terminal.
3. Reconstruction the square near the station of the airport complex with the construction of office buildings, a hotel complex, multilevel garages - parking, transport trestle bridges and directed entrances to the airport, stations of high-speed out-of-street transport.
4. Development and reconstruction of the complex of service for flights of the governmental and official delegations with construction of a new passenger pavilion and office-technical buildings.
5. Construction of hangars for storage and service of planes, platforms near the hangars with expansion of existing platform and a hall of arrival - start; construction of parking for office transport and parking places on the territory of the Center of business - aircraft of the airport complex.
6. Creation on the territories of Vnukovo aircraft-repair factory of the Center of maintenance service and repair of planes, construction of hangars for maintenance service of planes of basic airlines.
7. Construction of complexes of business aircraft with the erection of the business centers combined with the hotel block, hangars for storage, service and repair of airplanes, parking with full service, and also helicopter stations.
8. Development of new transport systems providing communications of the airport with Moscow and the nearest settlements of the region, due to intensive construction of high-speed out-of-street transport.
9. Reconstruction of existing and construction of new objects of an engineering infrastructure.