Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 9.0 Earthquake Strikes Japan

HB, I will have to check my texts on that, but the key to this one was not only the earthquake (which is higher than anything I have heard in my life) but the accompanying Tsunami. The chances for both of those was remote, but they should still be designed for.

A similar correlation can be drawn to that large hurricane in Fla a number of years ago where aa whole large (new) development was leveled because the developer decided to save $$ by using cheaper nails.......

M 6.7 Earthquake hits North Japan 10 minutes ago.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...-tsunami_n.htm

^ It was off the coast and caused little or no damage.

Epicenters of the last two earthquakes in Japan.

That subduction plate boundary really shows how vulnerable Japan is.

Quote Originally Posted by HoveringCheesecake View Post
    I'm hoping they can get that nuclear reactor under control. Everything else can be rebuilt, but if that thing melts down... ugh.
    Too late Mr Hovering Cheesecakes. It's game over for our Nipponese friends.

I don't know what's really going on but it looks like the people in Tokyo are breathing "hot particles" every day that are reaching as far as Seattle.

Rice is also contaminated.

Have you ever seen that movie The Road? Or played the game Fallout?

^I heard about the rice, & I think fish also. I also heard some of it reached US shores, & that trace amounts were found in NV (don't ask me how they can tell it came from Japan).

Their waffles always sucked anyway.

Soccer game halted by Fukushima chants

Updated Aug 20, 2011 6:52 PM ET
    BRUSSELS

A Belgian soccer match was temporarily stopped on Saturday after visiting fans taunted Japanese goalkeeper Eiji Kawashima over the recent Fukushima nuclear disaster.
    The referee halted the match between Lierse SK and Beerschot after some Beerschot supporters began chanting: “Kawashima-Fukushima.”
    The match resumed after a delay of several minutes and ended in a 1-1 draw. Kawashima left the field in tears and said later he could forgive many insults, “but not this.”
    The Japanese player said: “Using the drama of Fukushima in this manner is not at all funny.”
    An earthquake and tsunami in March devastated large parts of Japan’s northeast coastline and left more than 20,000 people dead or missing. Another 100,000 people were evacuated because of radiation leakage from the damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/e...washima-082011

A new low in sports.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

And for a change, they weren't British!

My thought exactly. How obnoxious. I wonder if the Belgians had any comment on the incident, I can't seem to find any?

Meanwhile, I am watching a DVR of Friday's NBC's Nightly News. The National News Agency in Japan reports that the Japanese people have found and returned $48MM of cash found earthquake clean-up. I wonder how much of that cash would have been returned if the disaster happened in other countries?
    Last edited by eddhead; August 21st, 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Maybe this book wasn't such a bad idea...

The sad thing is, this isn't the worst thing I've heard at a football match, not even close. I stopped going to the away matches of the local football (I refuse to use the s-word) team after some of "our" fans started singing Bloodhound Gang's "Fire, water, burn" during a match against Volendam, a small town (the kind where everyone knows everyone) where a few years earlier they had a horrible fire in a bar, killing 14 people and injuring over 180. Somehow quite some people seem tot turn into brainless morons once football is involved.

Default We just had an earthquake!!

A 5.9 quake that was centered in Virginia near Washington, DC, was felt up the entire Eastern Seaboard at about 2pm!<br>
    <br>
    Buildings were evacuated and flights were delayed. It sent shockwaves all up and down the coast and the tremors were felt as far north as Maine and as far west as Detroit & Chicago! An A-380 has arrived here and it was ordered to stay here until further notice. Skyscrapers began swaying, causing workers to flee them and head for the streets!

My building was shaking and I started feeling sick as though I was dizzy & sea sick, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it until I found out about the quake online!

Flights are now being given permission to go out.
    Last edited by Daquan13; September 6th, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Lots of descriptions of the feeling of vertigo, because when they're standing on solid ground, they're not expecting it to move.

Japanese find millions in lost tsunami cash - and return it Vincent Yu / AP
    Japan Self-Defense Force personnel stand near some safes they retrieved from houses destroyed by the tsunami in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan in a photo taken on April 7, 2011.

By Arata Yamamoto, NBC News Producer

TOYKO – If disaster struck, and millions of dollars in cash turned up, do you think it would be returned to its rightful owners?
    In Japan, it was.
    During the four months since the giant tsunami struck Japan's northern coast, more than 5,700 safes containing approximately $30 million has been recovered from the three hardest hit prefectures, Japan’s National Police Agency recently announced.
    Remarkably – since residents of the tsunami zone have scattered across the country and even the world – 96 percent, or nearly $29.6 million in cash, has already been returned to its rightful owners, or if authorities feared the owner had died in the disaster, their closest relative.

Detective job to find rightful owners
    The majority of the safes recovered in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima were collected by Japan’s Self Defense Force, police, and volunteers while combing through destroyed homes and buildings and clearing debris left behind by the devastating wave; some individuals also came forward with lost valuables.
    Masao Sasaki, with the Iwate prefectural police, said that determining who the money belonged to and then actually finding them proved to be a great challenge and often involved excruciating detective work.
    "In some cases, entire communities were completely washed away. Even if we had information on the address of the owner, there would be no building left, landlines were destroyed,” Sasaki explained. “So we went around to the various evacuation centers and started checking through the rosters."
    In Iwate prefecture alone, where more than 23,000 structures along the coast were destroyed, 2,400 safes containing a total amount of $10 million was collected. Incredibly, 91 percent of it has already been returned.
    Considering that up until June there were more than 330 evacuation centers in Iwate, and people were constantly moving to new locations, it was no small feat to return that much money.

Read the rest:

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...n-it?GT1=43001

Fukushima Blows Lid Off Exploited Labour

IPS NEWS
    By Suvendrini Kakuchi

TOKYO, Sep 3, 2011 (IPS) - The Fukushima disaster has thrown up the first opportunity in decades to bring justice to thousands of unskilled workers who risk radioactive contamination to keep Japanís nuclear power plants running.

"Fukushima has created public awareness on a section of nuclear workers castigated as Ďradiation- exposed peopleí but forming the dark underbelly of an industry that depends on them," says Minoru Nasu, spokesperson for the Japan Day Labourers Union.

Nasu, a long-time labour activist, says that while nuclear industry relies heavily on unskilled workers it has left it to thuggish subcontractors to marshal them as daily wagers.

The common practice for the past several decades can best be described as "human auctioning," Nasu told IPS. Labourers gather at the crack of dawn at designated places such as public parks to be picked up by toughs who take them to the nuclear plants.

According to figures available with the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, Japanís regulator, of the 80,0000-odd workers at Japanís 18 commercial nuclear power plants, 80 percent are contract workers. At the Fukushima plant, 89 percent of the 10,000 workers in 2010 were on contract.

The men are given contracts to do unskilled, dangerous work inside nuclear plants for months together. There are no guarantees in the event of an accident, or long-term health insurance against such diseases as leukaemia or other forms of cancer which may surface years after exposure to radiation.

"When their work is completed, they are expected to simply disappear. Nobody cares about them," said Nasu.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast