Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Baccarat Hotel and Residences - 20 W53rd St -

Starwood, Tribeca move forward with Midtown condo and hotel

March 06, 2012 09:00AM

Starwood Capital and Tribeca Associates have finished acquiring surrounding air rights and are beginning construction on the 45-story condo and hotel tower planned for the former site of the Donnell Library in Midtown.

The New York Post reported that Tishman Construction has begin excavation work at 20 West 53rd Street for the 340,000-square-foot building’s foundation. It will dedicate the bottom three stories to a Donnell Library replacement, the next nine to an ultra-luxury hotel and the remaining floors to condominium apartments.

The building will reach that height thanks to two recent deals Starwood and Tribeca struck with nearby landlords. In December they paid $30.825 million for air rights from the owners of 666 Fifth Avenue, and a month later they paid $16.6 million for air rights from Orient-Express, which owns the ’21′ Club behind the construction site and were the original developers of the project before Starwood and Tribeca bought it out last year. The ownership group also took out a $63 million mortgage on the site.

Though the Department of Buildings has yet to approve all the plans, final renderings haven’t been released, and it’s still unclear what the hotel will be branded, the New York Public Library, which operates Donnell, expects it to be complete by 2014.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/03/...ndo-and-hotel/

2014? They've barely begun to dig the foundation. 2015 at the earliest.

Forum Veteran

Permits say 610' by SOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    The planned towers in this area are like trees reaching for sunlight, but in this case for a view of Central Park.
    At 610 feet, it'll be taller than Museum Tower which is home to many of the nimby's who protested Torre Verre. The tower would impede the tower's SE views.

lucydodsworth

It would rise almost right in front of Museum Tower in the view, blocking about half of it.
    Another tree in the forest.
    A direct reference to Seagram. This will continue to be a classy street.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsThird
    Starwood's Crystal Vision Article Stock Quotes Comments more in Real Estate Main | Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ »Email Print Save ↓ More
    smaller Larger
    By CRAIG KARMIN And KRIS HUDSON

Doesn't look too bad. It has that modern NY feel to it.

I saw this in the WSJ today. It sucks. This area deserves something better than this. These guys are wangs.

It seems that Related, Durst, and Hines should be the only groups permitted to build in NY.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; April 25th, 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Ha, I'd second that. With all the Macklowes, Moinians, Sitts, Changs and others wreaking havoc on the city, ensuring the architectural non-$hi&&iness of the nation's premier city is the one area of the economy where I'd like to see some regulation.

Baccarat New York doesn’t sparkle

August 01, 2012
    By James Gardner

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...-gone-too-far/

Scathing. I think this tower is the ultimate in boring demandied by what are sure to be equally boring residents. I am sure it will offer up an even less adventuresome experience for those who found the Centurion to be a little too spicy for their millions.

What the **** is that? "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" should apply to architecture as well as adultery.

From the right angle, it will offer a great reflection of Torre Verre.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    From the right angle, it will offer a great reflection of Torre Verre.
    That's as close to greatness as this mediocre slab will ever get...

SOM SLICK looking new building - I like it! Also, thanks - I enjoyed that photo gallery feature.

This thing sucks. This uninspired POS is a colossal waste of a super-prime location.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast